View Full Version : Experimental X country limits?

11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
How restricted are you flying X country in an experimental - What if you want to fly from lower 48 to AK or Oregon to Mexico - Or southern Cal to /washington

Thanks - Timm

11-06-2005, 11:51 AM
After you have flown off your 25-40 hours test flying period, no restrictions that I know of.

Sam Beckett
11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Flying into Mexico...Not me!!
I know of too many people who have flown down into Mexico only to find themselves getting a ride back to the states. Sadly via Horse back, Pack mule or Jack Ass! It seems as if the Mexican Federales like your plane they send you packing and keep what they like for their designated mission....Plus my insurance drops when I go South of the border!
A friend of mine worked 2 jobs for a leaseback Cessna 182 he owned that he had to pay off as some ass rented and flew her down their for a weekend...Never saw the plane again!
Careful with those events.....



11-07-2005, 02:03 PM
If you want to go through Cananda you need to have the big "12 inch" N numbers. That's the only restriction that I am aware of. You can still get away with the little 3 inchers on exp. if you don't want to go up there though.

11-07-2005, 05:08 PM
If you want to go through Cananda you need to have the big "12 inch" N numbers.

Actually, you don't need 12 inch numbers to fly to Canada, or to fly within Canada. You only need them if you are going to pass through the coastal ADIZ or up in the DEWIZ. Anywhere else in Canada your 2 or 3 inch numbers will be fine.

As to the larger question, the answer is a bit complex. First, it depends on which experimental certificate your aircraft holds. If it's experimental amateur-built, then there is a standardized Validation that allows you to fly in Canada. If it's a different experimental category (exhibition, etc.) you'll have to get specific written permission from Transport Canada before you enter Canadian airspace.

All bets are off for Mexico. There is no standardized validation in place for any experimental category, so no matter what certificate your aircraft holds you'll need to get specific written permission from the Mexican CAA in order to fly in Mexican airspace. Good luck on figuring out who to contact in Mexico to gain such authorization.

In the good old USA, there are some differences on where you can go depending on which experimental certificate your aircraft holds. If it's amateur-built and the flight-test period is completed and properly documented in the aircraft records, you can pretty much go where you want to go. If it's a different certificate there are some restrictions. Let me know if you need specific info on a certificate other than amateur-built.


Jerry Gaston
11-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Been to both Canada and Mexico this past year and can't recall any problems in either country. Big numbers are only needed if yuo are coming back intop the USA and for that I use a squeeze bottle of white shoe polish at my last airport before crossing the border. If you join the Baja Bushpilots organization you can get all kinds of info on where to fly and where the fuel is avaiable in Mexico. I wentr all the way to Panama and back and didn't have any problems. I was flying a C-185. The only advice I would give is to get at least 150 miles south of the border before you stop. Seems that all the banditos and bunched up against the border where they can con or pick the pockets of gringos. :morning:

11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm glad to hear that I was wrong about the numbers. I'd rather put the 3 inchers on mine when it's done.