• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is Alaska ruined?

wadecalvin

Oregon
I just read an article about a guy who went on a guided hunt in the Wood Tikchick park - Lake Chauekuktuli country - there was 12 moose camps on the lake - from air taxis and guides. -

I also heard a report on the south fork of the kuskokwim not far from Hellsgate that there were two pick up trucks and numerous four wheelers and cabins and the country was overrun during moose season -etc - Is it that way everywhere up north? Even in the Brooks Range?

Just wondering

It was great until they discovered oil on the north slope in '69. Since then its gone to pot. Other then terrain, its now no different then the lower 48 states. Everyone in the Bush is on the government tit, and the cities are full of "get ahead" yuppies. Crap, even I now carry a Palm Treo. :( Crash

Yep, everyone is on the gov't tit in the bush and all the city folk are looking at it in the Bush Co. Straight to hell is the way things are looking here.

Speaking of Gov't tit, Some bush types are starting a seminar for getting grants and gov't insured loans. Show up at the village of Kiytrokuthuk's city office to sign up for the first in a series of "The New Conservative Funds and Resource Distrubution Program." Hurry though classes are filling up by administrators from the Gulf Coast, Iraq, Afganistan, Halliburton, United Airlines, Exxon/Mobil, and the MGHallen Foundation for the Presevation of 2588P. The contact info is (907)468-8848 or (907)gov-ttit, e-mail www.getthepollnumbersup.gov.

I've been up here 25 years. In my opinion the "old Alaska” is gone for good.
Now with that being said the farther you get away from major cities / road system the closer you can get to the “old Alaska”. So far I’ve stayed on the road system, but have moved twice because of encroaching civilization. My wife and I have decided our next, (and last) move will be somewhere off of the road system.

Crash said:
It was great until they discovered oil on the north slope in '69. Since then its gone to pot. Other then terrain, its now no different then the lower 48 states. Everyone in the Bush is on the government tit, and the cities are full of "get ahead" yuppies. Crap, even I now carry a Palm Treo. :( Crash

Crash, aren't you one of those yuppies?

BTW, that's why my parents decided to move our family back in the 1970s. Just too big an influx of people from the pipeline. It wasn't the same wild and rugged individualist Alaska they loved anymore.

Old Alaska is still alive and well to many people have become lazy and would rather blame somebody else when they come home from a hunting trip with nothing. With the improvements of our airplanes (mods) and camping equipment it is easy to leave the rest of the crowd behind. The true old time Bush Pilots and guides found a good hunting area then figured out how to move into there and build a strip. Not many people have the time or energy to put that type of effort into hunting anymore, it can be a huge effort. Alaska has not changed, just the people living here. An old Alaska Native told me once that the fish and game don"t want to be taken by a lazy hunter. They animals want to see that effort! Some times you get lucky but I have always believed what he said to be true.

Cub_Driver

Cub_Driver makes a good point. We should do a poll on another posting.

How many of you have actually gone into someplace as the first airplane? I mean where you "crash in" somewhere really short, for sure not landed at before, and have to run the chainsaw you brought along for a couple of hours or a couple of days to get yourself out of there? I have... It is what I call Bush Flying... getting the frigging bushes out of the way.

You can still do it today... It is funny to say Alaska is ruined when we demand more and more things to make our lives easier. Where is that horse and buggy?
79H_been_bushflying2.jpg

Price?

diggler said:
You want to see people living off the gov chest, check out this site.

http://www.ewg.org/farm/

These amounts seem like a lot of money...But, have you priced a new combine lately?

I grew up on a farm in Kentucky - which was later sold due to a bankruptcy...These guys work there ass off, and believe me, few are getting ahead and most are barely getting by...

Alaska is still a great place - much, much better than most - especially if you like to fly, hunt and fish - it's definitely changed though, as most places do...

T.J. Hinkle said:
Yes. Alaska has changed. Not for the best in my opinion....
New folks move to Alaska and bring the same ideas with them they moved away from! They also don't know or don't care about the old unwritten code for hunting. You never move in on someones camp without asking their permission first. No law, just common courtesy.
When we go back to hunt, a plane and tent is set up along side ours. We ask them if they did not see our tent and figure someone was hunting here already? They usually inform us that this is state land and they will hunt anywhere they want to. ....

I had the same sort of thing happen to me. I found a nice little meadow and pond, hauled materials in and built a sturdy tree stand, place to camp, etc., figured I'd hunt moose there for a few years. When season opened I went back to find someone there camping and using my tree stand. When I told them they were in my tree stand. I was informed it wasn't my tree stand because they had been using it for years. The fact that it was all new lumber didn’t' seem to matter. In a few weeks I'm going to go back, take the tree stand down and haul that lumber out and make a picnic table out of it.

KelvinG

SonnyAK wrote

These amounts seem like a lot of money...But, have you priced a new combine lately?

The John Deere dealer was out to my cousin's demonstrating a new combine a couple of days ago--------$350,000 for a machine with corn and bean heads.
Marty

There are folks listed on the peanut subsidies from around here who have made close to a million dollars and never planted a peanut and don't intend to. Lot of people had those subsidies that had been passed down from generation to generation. They had no land so the Gov. said you have to have land to get the subsidies. Therefore folks with land bought them to get the Gov. check. These are people with lots of money, not hard working farmers. There are abuses in everything I guess but it chaps my ass.

Is Alaska ruined

This year I flew 3200 miles to hunt there , Found a tent on the strip that we intended to land at, so we did not land
Found another spot to land in another drainage, ruff landing and then spent a few hours moving rocks and small trees to get out.
The hunt may have worked out better if we could have landed at the first spot but I would not have wanted some one to land in on me so I would not do it to them.
Had a great time and feel good about not ruining someone else's hunt !
Doug

This year I set up my moose camp on a small lake in the Alaska Range. One I have hunted on for the last 10 years. I had, not one, but two people land just before the season opened and they put big camps up within 100 feet of my camp. They didn't know each other either. I chewed their azzes about etiquette and hunting but it went in one ear and out the other. I guess people from the lower 48 are used to hunting/fishing on top of each other. It really made me mad to be treated that way but the people coming across our border now have no respect for anyone else. Its all about ME. If I fly somewhere and I see a tent on a lake I don't land there. Too many other lakes where I can be by myself. Too bad our new alaskans don't feel that way. Alaska is changing with all the scum coming to alaska for their dividend/welfare checks. We seem to be collecting a lot of folks from the lower 48 that are of suspect character, morals and intelligence. Just my .02

Steve Pierce said:
There are folks listed on the peanut subsidies from around here who have made close to a million dollars and never planted a peanut and don't intend to. Lot of people had those subsidies that had been passed down from generation to generation. They had no land so the Gov. said you have to have land to get the subsidies. Therefore folks with land bought them to get the Gov. check. These are people with lots of money, not hard working farmers. There are abuses in everything I guess but it chaps my ass.
That post got me real curious so I looked myself. Now there are two chapped asses! :bad-words:

Your tax dollars at work.

Sorry, guys, you may just have not been in the right spots. I can recall twenty three years ago getting a report of an obnoxious fishing guide at a lake on Kodiak Island. I went home, changed clothes, got in the Cub and mosey'd down there, and landed.

Guide came running down the beach, screaming at the top of his lungs about how this was his fishing spot (he had 8 clients in a single Otter-a real wilderness solo experience) and he'd report me to the "authorities" for trespassing on his exclusive area. He used the F word at least six or seven times during this tirade.

Mind you, I was one guy in a Super Cub, and I parked at the mouth of a different stream, a good two hundred yards from this guy.

I explained to him that I was, in fact, representing the "authorities", and asked him to see his guiding permits. Oops, all of a sudden, he was the nicest guy you ever met.

He quickly agreed to load up his customers and get them off Kodiak Island (he was from one of the Peninsula lodges) ASAP.

And, he paid the fine on time, without going to court.

The point is, that stuff has been going on forever in some parts of Alaska.

I don't doubt that it has become more commonplace, though.

Where there are resources, people will come. Get enough of them in one spot, and at least one will be a jerk.

MTV

mghallen said:
Yep, everyone is on the gov't tit in the bush and all the city folk are looking at it in the Bush Co. Straight to hell is the way things are looking here.

Speaking of Gov't tit, Some bush types are starting a seminar for getting grants and gov't insured loans. Show up at the village of Kiytrokuthuk's city office to sign up for the first in a series of "The New Conservative Funds and Resource Distrubution Program." Hurry though classes are filling up by administrators from the Gulf Coast, Iraq, Afganistan, Halliburton, United Airlines, Exxon/Mobil, and the MGHallen Foundation for the Presevation of 2588P. The contact info is (907)468-8848 or (907)gov-ttit, e-mail www.getthepollnumbersup.gov.

Hey hey hey mghallen. You don't have time to type posts to these threads. Get out there and fly that Navajo so I can make some more of that govamint money. :lol: Oh, and as you are flying the Navajo all day Steve and I would like you to drop off the keys to the Super Cub so we can fly up on the Wulik and catch some char.

It's not just our hunting areas. It's our towns and general mindset of the folks who seem to be washing up on our Alaskan shores.

My home town was just mud and sand roads for years. Nobody thought twice about having a frozen well in the winter or using an outhouse.

We lived that way and slowly improved things over a period of years using hand tools and the occasional WWII Army surplus tractor.

Then the oil boom brought in the flood of part time resident workers and some full time speculators.

Now my home town is split between three groups.

1. The recent immigrants with more money than they know what to do with. (from selling their over-inflated houses down in the lower 48 big cities)

2. The mental cases and welfare bums. ( A large majority believe it or not, since the local mental health office is our biggest employer. they promote their own clients to move here...)

3. The few middle class Alaskans who have been here all their lives. None of us can't afford the new inflated resort type prices,,, nor can we out-vote the Looney Tunes at the polls...

Before oil (30 years ago) Alaska was one big State. You could and would go anywhere and hunt, put in a strip, do your own thing. Everyone stayed out of your way. Come oil and the attorneys, now Alaska gets cut into many, many pieces. Forty two million acres go to natives, State of Alaska gets 135 million acres, Feds get the rest and turn most of theirs into parks. In order to get the native vote our congressional delegation sells out the mostly white city residents and agree to "rural preference" for not only fish and game but timber and subsurface minerals as well. This is done in direct conflict to our Federally adopted State Constitution of 1959 that says all residents have an equal share of ALL resources.

Now Alaska is divided into a thousand little pieces. In the Federal fish and game office in Galena they gave me a map. "You can't hunt in any areas that are white, green or pink" the brusk female "government servant" told me. There was one little area on the river within thirty miles of Galena that a white man could hunt, and you had to figure out where it was on your own.

No, hunting really sucks up here compared to what it used to be like. Crash

CraigH said:
Now there are two chapped asses! :bad-words:

Your tax dollars at work.

Not sure but I've been told if you rub subsidized peanut oil on afflicted areas, its great for chapped asses 8)

Can't for the life of me figure out why Diggler is such a good Democrat, Democrats have been the champion of subsidies and handouts since before I was born.

Crash,

I agree with you. I won't hunt in Alaska anymore. The regs are too complex, and its too easy to get wrong. And, it doesn't need to be that way, in my opinion.

I place a good bit of that at the feet of the Board of Game, though.

MTV

Diggler,

Actually the lower 48ers vs Alaskans is much more akin to how folks felt during 1861 on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.
Slightly different than how they talk about each other in Illinois and Wisconsin.
Probably something to do with us being separated by another country, being one third the size of the US, having several old indigenous cultures and having more coast line than the entire US.

It's just part of the symptom. It did not used to be like that...

xx

Back