• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2005 Hunt

T.J.

Alaska
Just a short report on this years hunt.
Ol Dog and I spent 22 days across Cooks Inlet hunting moose and bear. Moose hunting was crummy. 4 hunters shot 3 moose in 20 days. The bears and wolves have taken a toll. We did help the situation a bit, we shot 3 black bears,(one a 7' 6" squared), and 3 average Brn Bears.
It got cold the first couple of nights, before the rains started, and Ol Dog got cold. I gave him my sleeping bag and got me another one. He enjoyed it.

DukesBag.jpg

He got a little mad at me when he found out that I had removed the rear stick from the PA11.

Duke80M.jpg

It rained so hard, we got weathered in because of the water on the strip for a few days. Our supplies got a bit short. 1 can of dog food, 1 can of spam, 1 loaf of bread and a couple shots of whisky. We chopped a new strip along side of the old one and gave it a try.

WetStrip.jpg

It was still raining and I couldn't see worth a dang. I Pledged the windshield at the start of the season, but it was worn off. We zig zagged from the brush to the water down the strip. Water was coming over the wings and windshield. I was rapidly running out of strip. I said to heck with it , pulled flaps and back on the stick. By golly, the old beater Cub did it. We staggered over the brush and were airborne. Almost scared me to death!

To add to the confusion/excitement we were visited by the Gendarmes.

MooseGoose.jpg

We did get some winter meat, so I guess the time was not a total waste.

DukeMoose.jpg

OH BOY, CAN WE GO GET ANOTHER ONE?

Bear season is still open so we will be going back to see if we can deplete the population a bit.

Nice story. Glad you all got some moose. The grizzly bears where I hunt sure do clean up the moose carcasses fast. I also saw a white wolf eating on one of the kill sites. Beautiful wolf. I got the pleasure of watching it through my binauculars for two days. I had a cow tag and got this moose. It is the first cow I have shot. The meat off of this moose is really good.

mm1.jpg

One of my partners got this nice bull.

mm2.jpg

Back