• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil temp guage

MarcR

Kansas City, MO
Hey guys, need some help. The oil guage on 197T is dead. As I understand it there is a bulb thats connected to the guage with a tube. As the temp changes, the bulb contracts/expands, changing the gas pressure in the system, and thus the needle position. The tube in mine is cracked. My mechanic has found a shop in Ohio that will overhaul it, but its going to cost $300( probably not too bad ) and take 2 1/2 weeks(!).

I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas to fix this problem. A shop that can do the job faster. A source for a replacement. An affordable( stop laughing! ) alternative. Anything?

I've had my mechanic ship the thing off to Ohio, but if I can come up with an alternative I can call them and stop the work.

Any ideas???

Marc R.

oil gauge

electronics international has a gauge OPT-1 oil temp/press, its a 2-1/4" instrument & its realy reliable & accurate. im not shure on the cost ,spruce & specialty has a ggod price. I have an original used unit if you need it.............

Turns out its not in Ohio. Its Air Parts of Lockhaven PA.

Where did you see a new unit for $375?

Marc R.

MarcR,
If you're talking about the original oil press./temp. guage then Airparts is the best place to have it fixed. The new copy of this guage is not as good as the original.

John

John,

I've got no idea if it original. I wouldn't be surprised if it was replaced at some time, but what I've got is what was in it when Steve sold me the airplane.

It's good to know its going to people that know what they are doing.

Marc

MarcR said:
John,

I wouldn't be surprised if it was replaced at some time, but what I've got is what was in it when Steve sold me the airplane.

Marc

Don't worry, I am sure Steve will warranty it. :wink: Crash

The original one was made by U.S. Guage. The "cheap" Chinese ones aren't exactly cheap.

John

Back