don d
05-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Would like to make another trip to Alaska. Last time was 2000. I think one should make the trip at least every 5 years. I hear things are different now when crossing the border. I do not have a transponder (accually I do but it doesn't work). Would I have trouble crossing either direction at Oroville, Washington.


05-22-2005, 10:31 PM
You can just write to the Canadians and tell them that you are flying low and slow and do not have a transponder. Tell them the dates you will be going through and they will send you a waiver. Actually they will fax it to you if you are in a hurry.

05-22-2005, 10:35 PM
You will also need a transponder or waiver coming back into the states from Canada. We needed one a couple of months ago. Just fax Flight Service and they will tell you you don't need one. Tell them that Customs require it and they will give it to you.

Jerry Gaston
05-23-2005, 07:52 AM
My suggestion is to simply get a CANPASS # by filling out all the paper work . Then just call them when you go and do what they tell you to do. Transponders wont work up near the boarder unless you are crossing near a high populated area anyway.

05-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Why not just fix the transponder?

don d
05-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Costs money to fix the thing. If I can get by without, would rather spend my money on other things like gas. Plane weights less if the thing is at home.


Alex Clark
05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I love that burger Cafe in Oroville. The older motel there leaves something to be desired though.
Last summer the self serve gas pump was working there (again)..

I would suggest stopping for the night at Williams Lake on the way up. Tim and Bard Pennell run a B&B for pilots. (they work at the airport) I have their number around here if you need it. It is much less expensive than staying in a hotel in Prince George.

05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I went through the process last summer of getting a waiver. It held my trip up for 4 days. They have up to 7 days to process it according to the information I got. Don't listen to what FSDO says because they told me 48 hours before I left to request it and that was wrong.

That being said I was not asked for it until returning to the US.