• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

18 wing trailing edge /picture

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
I am looking at a 71 Supercub that has both the trailing edges deep contours (Dented) at the trailing edge where the aileron cable passes over it. And from what I can tell from pictures the fabric is a little wrinkled by the cable cover. Is this normal or a bigger problem? My 94 was straight with no countours at the trailing edge.
614Dscn0347-med.jpg

Why is or what is the cause of these dents? And it has a trim tab on the left aileron. Did the factory put this on?

The contours are so the top aileron cable clears the false spar from the top wing pulley to the top of the aileron bellcrank. I haven't been around many metal aileron SCs like your 94. Maybe they are different.

Steve Pierce said:
The contours are so the top aileron cable clears the false spar from the top wing pulley to the top of the aileron bellcrank. I haven't been around many metal aileron SCs like your 94. Maybe they are different.

That may be one difference. The metal control surfaces as compared to this 1971. . Didn't think of that. As long as this isn't alarming I will continue with this one. I guess it baffles me as to why the Piper didn't elevate the cable a little to keep a straight trailing edge in this area. I wish I had a picture. I try to get one and post it to get your opinions. Thanks

JAJ:
Not a problem. All Cubs that I've seen had the dents. If they don't, the turnbuckle will wear a hole in the fabric.

Mine didn't have them when I bought it and it certainly did wear a hole in the fabric and also seriously frayed the cable. The false spars were apparently home made. I didn't realize that the should be dimpled until I bought new ones when I rebuilt the wing.

dents

Original Cub wing as well as Univair replacements will have the "dent", my new Dakota cub wings do not. However, the turnbuckle clears the fabric just barely !!

The picture of Cubchick's 94 as with mine is straight. I wonder why the late models are straight and earlier models are contoured. What is the difference.

Believe it or not, it took me quite a but of time to put them dents in my Smith wings. I didn't want, too big of a dent, and the alum. is springy. We used a lead shot bag as a mass under the wing and it helped.

I agree that all Cubs have the little dimple, and a nice piece of canvas or leather doped in just in case the cable hits anyway.

But there is another thing to look at on older wings: Does your aileron fit in the slot? On both ends, the aileron should match perfectly the rear portion of the adjacent rib. The only thing forcing it to do so is the false spar, and that is just really light aluminum, riveted to a poorly-protected steel tab on the aileron hinge support. If the aluminum corrodes, the aileron can sag. Easy to fix, without re-doing the entire wing!

Back