• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Exp Wings.

T.J.

Alaska
I posted some pics of my wings if anyone is interested. Heck, I posted them even if no one is interested!
I extended the wings. Will fly it without any tips/splates etc, just for the heck of it first. Then add stuff and see if I can feel any difference.
Full length Ailerons for flaps. Ailerons shortened about 12 inches to fit wing.
Nutplates installed for stall fences. I'll install them later.
No Nose ribs except in the butt area. That's where 5 gal. cans usually ding the wings.
.016 alum. leading edge. (Gotta watch them Spruce trees!)
Dakota Cub spar beef up on rear spar.
F. Atlee Dodge type reinforcement on front strut attach point.
Lifting eyes.
Wayne Mackey Slats. (Thanks Wayne!)
Anxious to fly the dang thing. Hope to have it completed this summer.

Looking good TJ! I am going to be running my aileron pulley's inside like you have. I could use a few more pics of your pulleys. Do you have another pulley where the cable comes in from the strut or is that just a straight run in?

Bugs

Thanks Wayne, been working my skinny little butt off. They look good. I think they will work! Everyone is looking at them and shaking their heads. They think I'm crazy as a pet coon.
Bugs:
The guys at Dakota Cub sold me the pully bracket they make for their extended ailerons. I think I have a pic of it somewhere. I'll look. If not I'll take one this week.

AileronAnglePulley.jpg

Thanks! I've been looking for a picture of how Dakota does it for a long time. These are helpful. Could I mooch a close in pic of the small pulley and bracket? I'll need to fabricate those for my project.

Bugs:
I forget what they cost, but I wouldn't think about trying to make them. They have a double bend which would be hard to duplicate. Call John at Dakota Cub in Soldotna, tell him what you need. Believe me, you don't want to make them.

wings

T.J.,
Don't worry about what anyone has to say, they don't have anything that can match
it in flight. Keep after it ,looks great. Wayne

Dave, I apologize. When I was transferring the pics I made it private. It is now public.
Go to Photo Gallery----Members Galleries-----Page 5------Third row down. That should do it.

Update:
One wing complete with Waynes slats ready to cover.
Other wing complete except for slats.
Ailerons and flaps covered, ready for tapes.
Fitting pully brackets in fuselage for droop ailerons.
Thanks to Buck and Mrs. Buck, from this site, I have in my grubby hands plans for the installation of the lower Aeromod wings. I need plans for construction of the wings. If I can't find them, I will build them anyway.
The original wings weight about 100#s total. They used ribs formed on a mould and steel spars. They were 9' X 4'.
I can use the information I have and go from there.
Here's my idea. I'll use the last small rib from a Piper wing. They are close to 4' long. Does this rib have the same chord as the larger Piper ribs, just smaller?
The spars will be wood. I think I will put flaps on them. They will be operated with rods from the upper wings.
What do you think? Will it work? If anyone has any info, pics or plans I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks.

TJ, I know of a set of drawings for the lower wings. Not sure if they include construction details for the wing assemblies.

If you haven't pissed off the feds in your area, you're probably in....meaning: the drawings are in the hands of a fed who I like and is a good guy who loves airplanes, hopefully he's not one you've angered.

By-the-way.....you're not him are you? Have I blown your cyber-cover.? :eek:

Back