• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Approach Speeds

plocht

Lincoln Park, NJ
What speeds are you all using during approach in a PA-12. I have been using 70 mph and that seems a bit fast.

Thanks!

With full flaps, I run about 50 to short final, light down to 40 for over fence if I am in a tight spot. 45 comfortable (vortex gen also)

But stock??? 70 is not much slower than cruise, try down about 55

all are mph.

George

Cruise is 103 for me in my stock 12. In my opinion if you just got your 12 than start with 60 mph indicated. Nail the speed on final. Not 65 not 55. If your looking to drag it in for short field no flap landings than 50 works under power as needed for short landings. You can go slower under power but your skill level should high.

I use 55 on downwind, 50 on base and final, and 45 on short short final. The sink rate at 45 mph can be pretty high, and it takes some practice to round out at the right height and then smoothly transition to a brief flair just before the mains touch. This makes for a very short roll out.

If I maintain 50 all the way to touchdown it's easy to do very nice wheel landings, but the roll out is a bit longer.

Power is at idle, two notches of flaps. VGs and drooped tips.

Every -12 is different.... I approach at 40mph indicated, then bleed down to 35-37 when ready to "squat" in no wind. I have a helicopter airspeed indicator, but high angle of attack makes it not accurate, as GS is a bit higher than indicated. Add 1/2 wind gust speed to that when wind is blowing.

Put a piece of tape over the airspeed indicator and learn to fly your airplane. But really the approach speed varies for the situation. Fly slow at a busy airport with a flight school and the spam cans will be jockeying for space behind you. If you want to stop really short you better not see the high side of 50.

I can't remember in recent memory of actually looking at my airspeed indicator during the approach to landing.

Scott

Back