• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-172 heavy duty nose gear assembly

Tony, give me a pm, I can probably put you in contact with the guy who's done a few of these in the Front Range. Unfortunately, they just folded their Aircraft Shop Tent. I may see him tomorrow in another context. He can tell you the ins and outs.

Looks pretty cool, but the usual nosewheel gotchas.

Thanks. Cubscout

Yea airglass sells one that fits, but no STC for the 172 or my 175. I have told them I would buy one if it included the STC as field approvals appear to be impossible to get. Gary, at airglass, has said they hope to have the STC for the 172/175 this summer, but that's not helping me now. If anybody knows of one that is available with the STC please let me know.

Pat

And heck, I flew my elderly squaretail '58 C-172 in and out of the large cobbles at Yukon Charlie with no problems. 5.00x5 nosewheel, 6.00x6 , mains. Feller in a 185 said he'd never seen a C-180 with a nosewheel. Told him I'd ordered a 5.00x5 tailwheel assembly, but them mechanical fellers put 'er on the wrong end. Same gag worked purty good at Moose Crik, ID.

I'll let you know what Scott says.

Uff Da. Cubscout

CubLite said:
Yea airglass sells one that fits, but no STC for the 172 or my 175. I have told them I would buy one if it included the STC as field approvals appear to be impossible to get. Gary, at airglass, has said they hope to have the STC for the 172/175 this summer, but that's not helping me now. If anybody knows of one that is available with the STC please let me know.

Pat

I had a Landes fork on a 172 in the past. A good friend still does. Installation of both was by field approval. If you'd like a copy of his 337 I'm sure I can get one. Ask your FSDO about a field approval. Don't just assume they'll say no.

SB

Yes, there are a mess of them around, so lots of field approvals.

It never hurts to ask, you might get lucky, but it'll help to have paper from previous approvals. Gary L. could probably tell you how many are out there, which might help as well.

MTV

Thanks for the replys guys and the pm's. Am working on it. You guys that have seen/used them: have you used the 8:00x6 tire or the 8:50x6 tire on the nose?

Pat

8.50 on the nose and 26" Goodyear mains. If you load tail heavy the tail rests on the ground, but it comes right up when you start the engine. It'll surprise you the first time you see it.
SB

Back