• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental Roll Call - Sound off!

Bugs66

Spokane WA
I'm kinda pumped now that I've started my wings. Homebuilders all go through hills and valleys of motivation during the project. I thought I'd call a roll call to see how everyone is doing with their projects. If you are a lurker - time to register (free) and let us know about your project!

Here is my newly setup photo log: http://supercubproject.sturmcity.net so you can see what I am up to.

Stuff currently on my mind right now:
1. What kind of landing lights am I going to do for my wing? Stock? HID? I know I will be using the newer LED nav/strobe lights.
2. What kind of pitot should I put in? regular? heated? make my own?

For some motivation - I went to Stumpjumper's web site and watched his awesome videos. Check them out!

Was working on a W-A Sport Trainer before a year long break to the land of the sandstorm, whick is about to end. :p Have tack welded fuselage. Purchased via some internet scrounging, tailfeathers, LG, Lycoming O235, prop and misc. other parts. Scratch building metal rib wings with wood spars. The saga continues and CAN SOMBODY GET ME OUT OF HERE!!! :crazyeyes:

Hey experimental guys:

You should check out carlson's for ribs. They have really reasonable priced ribs for your exp.

www.sky-tek.com

They make experimental ribs as well as PMA ribs for every piper up to the PA-18.

Tim

Just finishing my Smith Cub! Gets inspection on monday :D , 180 hp, 1p235 prop, 29" bushwheels, metal flaps and ailerons. weighed in at 1152 without oil... Joe

joecub said:
Just finishing my Smith Cub! Gets inspection on monday :D , 180 hp, 1p235 prop, 29" bushwheels, metal flaps and ailerons. weighed in at 1152 without oil... Joe

Drool...drool... How about some pics in the photo gallery?

Dan H said:
Was working on a W-A Sport Trainer before a year long break to the land of the sandstorm, whick is about to end. :p ..

Hey Dan! Welcome to SuperCub.org! Keep us posted!

Hello
Two of us building each a Smith"s supercub project. Mine all covered , but not all painted. The other wings painted but nothing else covered.
We each have a TMX 360. Long way to go yet.

experimental cub

Hi all, Nick says my wings are ready to be picked up in Canada. the good news is they are ready ...the bad news is I was not planning on that trip un till May or latter. Any ideas for getting the wings to Colorado? Really I just want to make one trip for everytihing. Thanks for any input. Bill

Currently about 70% completed with the fuse tube superstructure from the Northland blueprints. Then begins the fabrication of all the brackets and stuff to weld up to that.

exper.

Hi Guy's,
Really glad to see so many getting started and coming along on their projects. I'm
involved in several exper. projects at the time and really injoying it. Two of them
I am part owner one is my own. The others are freinds or customers that I'm helping
All but one are stol type and it is in the new sport class wt. I will have to get the ok
from the owners and then will post pics. Work is starting to catch up and I have
just got back to working on my own. It is based around the cub but of my own
design. Very lite and has a lot of mods. Two peice slatted flaps,Leading edge slats,
VGs, 36 Gals. fuel, Air streaks, No electical, 0 200 modified. Three or four of
these will fly in the next 6 mounths. Stick with it!!!! Wayne

Work

Mark I thought you where a freind HAH!!!
All fun aside did the last parts go on and fit ok? Wayne

Building a Murphy Rebel. Finished tail group and flapperons. Due to my wife being in the Army progress is VERY SLOW. We keep getting moved everytime I get set up and start building. Had the wing kit shipped here to Hawaii but haven't decided if I'll even try to do anything on them.

I'm back on the main land more than I'm here trying to get a house finished for us to live in when she retires (2 yrs.5 mos.). Something called hunting seems to come up that also interferes also.

Keith

Got the rest of my Smith Kit this week. Full report to follow but it is "All Good" so far.

Joecub.... check your PMs. 1150 seems like a good weight with that engine. I'd like to know what you did, I am trying to keep mine light so I am always looking for ideas. Did Steve Tubbs help you?

Thanks

Bill

Hey Wayne----I have not seen the mount yet. It went straight to the powdercoaters. It will be a bit before Tim gets it back. Powdercoaters are behind on sandblasting due to a cold snap we had recently. The mockup to the FW fit fine. I'll let you know.

Thanks

Mark

cub

Thanks Mark, let me know how it goes. your ThrustLine kit showed up today and the
cowl chanel peices look real good. Wayne

Just picked up my Spraker fuselage, it looks great! Bugs66, I'm installing taxi & landing lights in each wing and found a solid-state flasher for $35 to do the wig-wag bit. The lights are halogen off-road type from Harbor Freight without the housing. I went with Aeroflash nav/strobes for the wings and will install the Aeroflash position/strobe in the T/E of the rudder. My wings are not assembled and am still gathering bits and pieces as I find them. I'm looking forward to Dan H's return so we can tag-team some of the construction on our projects.

Todd C said:
Just picked up my Spraker fuselage, it looks great! Bugs66, I'm installing taxi & landing lights in each wing and found a solid-state flasher for $35 to do the wig-wag bit. The lights are halogen off-road type from Harbor Freight without the housing. I went with Aeroflash nav/strobes for the wings and will install the Aeroflash position/strobe in the T/E of the rudder. My wings are not assembled and am still gathering bits and pieces as I find them. I'm looking forward to Dan H's return so we can tag-team some of the construction on our projects.

Hey Todd! Sounds good! I have bought several parts for the fuselage from Northland. Haven't started a thing on the fuse yet. Check out my photo gallery for my wing build. Do you have a D&E wing also? I'm sending you a PM with my email.

picture

I finally posted a picture of my Smith Cub... Its in the Experimentals, Got inspected yesterday and by dark I had over 2 hours flown off....
180 hp, 29" BW, ..... what a blast. Joe

Carey Gray said:
That is a good looking airplane. Nice job. :cheers

Ditto! Congrats and what a nice reward after all that hard work. Give yourself a pat on the back - or better yet, go fly it again!

I may have the distinction of having the last wing kit from D&E Aircraft on order before Taylorcraft takes over. I have talked to Ernie a few times over the past year and finally caved in to his propaganda on the 66" cord wing. I have a Wag SuperSport fuselage with most PA18 upgrades. I also have a Lycoming o-320 beefed up to over 170 horsepower. I hope to have some time now to finish this thing this year.

Mike

Michael Tracy said:
I may have the distinction of having the last wing kit from D&E Aircraft on order before Taylorcraft takes over.

Yes, I spoke to Ernie two days ago and had him send me some missing parts. I also had to get a couple shorter drag wires. I would do a inventory asap and let him know. I asked if Taylorcraft would have the same prices and same supply line. He said he had no idea. :(

Joecub - I agree, great looking airplane.

I've got a PA-18 style modified Wag Aero fuslage ready to cover,as are the tail pieces. My wings are ready to assemble, except I need one fuel tank, a either a LH Tripacer or a RH super cub, I have one of each at present and would like them to match.

I'm building ailerons right now. I wish I was done with that, they are a pain in the butt.

My boot cowl is built, (for the second time). The interior pieces are done. I"ve got both 0-320 and 0-200 engine mounts. I don't have an engine yet and haven't decided which way to go.

So the major stuff I need to find are: engine, some instruments, wheels, brakes, and tires.

I've restored 2 J-3's with Poly Fiber so I'll use it again, hopefully next winter.

After talking with Ernie a few times I decided to get my wing kit now before it's to late. I will do a complete inventory when it arrives. Ernie thinks Taylorcraft will still sell his experimental kits but the prices will probably go up.

Bugs did you finish welding your tail feathers and did you ever find out what those gusset looking pieces are for?
Mike

Michael Tracy said:
Bugs did you finish welding your tail feathers and did you ever find out what those gusset looking pieces are for?
Mike

Haven't started yet, just looked over the plans. I have found it useful to download every picture I ever see on the web, here or there, for close examination. I especially appreciate when folks take close-ups. Which gussets are you referring to?

Got your PM, will be in touch.

Which gussets are you referring to?

The little flat metal parts that look like gussets that came with the balanced tail group kit. I haven't welded mine yet and was looking at the northland CD for help. I don't see anything in the piper drawings for the elevator or horizontal stabilizer like them. I also copy as many pictures from the net as I can get of other construction projects.
Mike

tail

The peices go where the diagnal brace meets the rib. Look at an old orignail J3 tail.

Back