• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Post Oct 20th instructing

S2D

Montana
Has anyone given dual or BFR since Oct 20? Keep thinking I'm gonna get a visit from the FBI if I do. Has anyone gone thru the required security training?

TSA is "looking into" the issues surrounding their draconian restrictions on flight instruction. The "policies", and I use the term loosely, cause nobody can understand the gobldy gook the TSA put out originally, have lately been "interpreted" to mean that the only flight instruction where an instructor must verify citizenship is instruction for a rating or license. In other words, as it stands right now, if you are doing a flight review or just an hour of training, aircraft checkout, etc, you don't have to verify citizenship.

If you are giving someone dual toward a certificate or rating in an aircraft under 12,500 pounds, you do have to verify citizenship OF EVERYONE, even US citizens. Foreigners are prohibited from taking flight training without going through a lengthy application and screening process.

It was noted that the documentation of citizenship must be recorded in the PILOT's logbook AND the Flight Instructor's logbook, including the number of the documentation (ie: passport number, etc.). A driver's license is NOT good enough, nor is a pilot's certificate. Apparently, near as I can tell, a US Passport or a Certified copy of a birth certificate are the only acceptable documents to verify citizenship.

Again, this is a very dynamic situation. The alphabet groups are wrestling with TSA right now on this issue, and making some headway.

Admiral Stone, head of TSA, was at the AOPA Convention, and got thumped pretty hard by the participants, so hopefully, they are doing some homework.

MTV

Brian---just make it easy on yourself--you'll feel better. Just go ahead and turn yourself in :)

Mark

AkPA/18 said:
Brian---just make it easy on yourself--you'll feel better. Just go ahead and turn yourself in :)

Mark

Naw I'm on strike till they figure out what we can do. I read in the fine print where we have to attend a security seminar before we do anythig after Oct 20th. So you better hurry if you want to get your BFR in before Oct 20th. :oops: Oops lets see 1 hr flight and one hour ground, guess can only do 12 BFR's on Oct 20th.

What is the deal with legal resident aliens (green card holders); is that considered a citizen???

Green card means nothing in this rule. You must be a U.S. Citizen, born or naturalized, to receive flight training, unless you go through a draconian background check and visa application process. A legal resident alien is still a citizen of another country.

I'd suggest you check out either AOPA's web site or EAA's web site for updates on this. It is pretty dynamic right now.

And it sucks.

Welcome to the friendly skys of TSA.

MTV

Just took the Security Seminar. totally painless. Now if I can just find one of those aliens, maybe I can swap him a little dual in my supercub for some lessons in his spaceship :-?

Back