• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

heliCUBter

Ahmet Kamil

Turkey
Imagine two identical cubs on a grass field, each one heading 180 deg. opposite (if one is heading 360 deg North, the other 180 deg. south). Keep the distance say, 100 120 feet in between. Tie the cubs to each other, with a tight strong cable on the wingtips (main spur ends, detachable of course). Now everything is ready.
Now give full throttle, (both cubs) sticks a little forward. Pull the sticks at the same time and start to climb :) Some time later, release the attachment latches and LET THE CUBS GO :lol: What happens ?
a) :angel:
b) Each cub starts fly'n to opposite directions.
c) Cubs stall.
d) Pilots like it so much, that they never let the latch go :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: Patent Pending. Those who try this, do so at their own risk.

inside wing never gains flying speed like outside wing resulting in one terrific crash!!

air speed

my guess would be, with no airspeed over the top of the wings they would never leave the ground

I read about a man that didn't have a proper runway, so he regularly launched his cub by flying in a circle tethered to a pole. Could have been a tale... I did a Google search and couldn't find a thing.

Centripetal force would try to send the plane on a tangent from the original circle upon release. As long as the inside wing was above stall speed, the plane should fly. Rudder and aileron to pick up the inside wing and away you go. I think. I'm not gonna try it! :wink:

Heli Cub

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Assuming slatted wing Cubs that fly easily at 28mph, and using the actual flying speed of 30mph, they would only be making 7 rpm to attain and maintain flight. (all 4 wings) That's using a 120' connection. When released from the connection, the horizontal stab. and fuse. will yaw the aircraft away from the circle and they would be flying instantly. The G-forces would be interesting. All your blood would be in one side of your body and not in your feet, as in a regular high G pullout. Don't think I could handle it however. :crazyeyes: Jerry.

There would be some mechanical issues.

The wing structure is not meant to take that type of load. Any yawing would wip-saw the spar, don't know if it would hold together.

The other problem would be keeping the engines running. The fluids would all go outboard from the turn. The oil would all end up in the outboard cylinders, and the fuel would be plastered against the side of the float bowl, side of the fuel and header tanks...., Think of it like mounting the engine and fuel system on it's side, it probably wouldn't run long like this.

I was just going to ask what ya all been smoking over there in Turkey!! :crazyeyes:

never get off ground, no lift. like doing a run up for mag check. tail will go up and down, plane stays on ground.

They gotta take off... just like that J-hook take off turn in on of the super cub videos. Or like taking off on a short dog-leg strip.

Actually, if the planes were precisely equal, and the pilots precisely patched their application of power and controls, it would be equivalent of taking a ride around on a 60' u-line-control model airplane. From there it wouldn't be too hard to calculate the G forces, and maybe lengthen the tether up enough to make it tolerable on the pilot.

Gotta agree though... a cub isn't designed for the loads... I would watch with binoculars from a safe distance.

Back