• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to Fly a Jenny

CubCrazy

SPONSOR
Bentonville AR
by Fred S. Disosway

Editors note: The following set of instructions was given to Capt. Eddie Vaughn (US Airways, Ret) by the granddaughter of Fred S. Disosway, who flew the Jenny in World War 1 and was the proprietor of Disosway Airport in Sheldon, Ill. Capt. Vaughn thought that some of the ALPA?s younger members who have never flown a vintage aircraft would enjoy reading the article.

1. Inspection ? It is best not to inspect this ship. If you do, you?ll never get in it.

2. Climbing into the cockpit ? Do not attempt to enter the cockpit in the usual way. If you put your weight on the lower wing panel, it will fall off. And besides, your foot will go through the wing, probably breaking your leg. The best way to enter the cockpit is to climb over the tail surfaces and crawl up the turtleback. Be sure to brush the gopher and squirrel nest out of the cockpit. Try not to cut your hands on the broken windshield.

3. Instruments ? After having carefully lowered yourself into the cockpit and groped in vain for the safety belt, take a good look at your instruments ? both of them. The one on the right is a tachometer. It doesn?t work. The other one is an altimeter. It functioned perfectly until 1918, when the hands came off. Look at them now, for when the engine starts you won?t be able to see them.

4. Starting the motor ? The switch is on the right. It doesn?t work because it isn?t connected. However, it gives a sense of confidence to the mechanic who is pulling the prop through, as he can hear the switch click when you say ?switch off.? If, for some reason, the motor doesn?t start, don?t get out to pick up the cut and bleeding mechanic ? he deserves it.

5. Warming up ? Don?t warm up the engine. It will run only a few minutes anyway, and the longer it runs on the ground the less flying time you have. After the throttle is opened, do not expose any portion of your body outside the cowling. It is no fun having your face slapped by a flying rocker arm, or to be peppered with small bits of piston rings, valves, etc., that are continually coming out of the exhaust stacks.

6. The takeoff ? The takeoff is in direct defiance of all the laws of nature. If you have a passenger, don?t try it.

7. The flight ? After you have dodged trees, windmills, and chimneys until you are over the lake, you will see a large hole in the left side of the fuselage. The hole is to allow the stick to be moved far enough to make a left turn. Don?t try one to the right.

8. The Landing ? The landing is made in accordance with the laws of gravity. If the landing gear doesn?t collapse on the first bounce, don?t worry ? it will on the second. After you have extracted yourself from the wreckage and helped the spectators put out the fire, light a cigarette and, with a nonchalant shrug, walk (don?t run) disdainfully away.

Published: March 1998 Air Line Pilot

I like it.

Hey! I saw a Bellanca Scout, matching that description, at the Challis, Idaho airport a few years ago. I also rode in an old T-Craft (L-5(?)) that looked that way. Lots and lots of 100-mile-per-hour tape.

Jon B.

Jon B., The T-Craft was probably an L-2, and was probably mine. Kind of meets the description. One thing I particularly liked about it was that the door wouldn't latch, and stayed open about 1-1/2" in flight. On landing, I would take the stick in my left hand and push the door open with my right. The L-2 was a real floater, and hard to get on the ground, but this made a real handy speed brake. The brakes wouldn't hold for a runup, and the tailwheel wouldn't steer, so I often had to get out and walk it to the runway centerline in preparation for takeoff. Never had so much fun in my life!

Ron:

This particular T-cart was resurrected from a hangar in South (North?) Dakota, at the far northwestern corner. The buyer and his dad drove from Minnesota with a flat trailer to haul it, but after examination, the buyer - also named Ron - decided to fly it home. Fresh oil, some new gas, a test run, change oil, drain gas and test fly. It also took lots of gray aviation tape to close up all th eholes in the fabric. One hole in particular was a whopper. Something fell through the wing - between ribs - leaving holes in both top and bottom. Misc. tears and punctures all over.

Anyway, the flight across SD in to MN went well, and I rode in it a few days later. It underwent restoration soon afterward, and I have no clue where she is today. I don't know the tail number, either.

Jon B.

That was almost certainly a different airplane, but the conditions sound similar. Ours was bought in 1968 at Grand Prairie, TX from the A&P owner, who had obviously pencil whipped the last 2 or 3 annuals. Don't think that anybody but two novice buyers (my brother and me) would have concluded that the thing was airworthy. We sold it about a year later, and advertised it as "needs fabric", among other things. I guess the potential buyers thought we might be lying, because each of them took it upon himself to poke or tear a major hole in the wings and fuselage. When it came time to ferry the airplane to the new owner, it took almost two rolls of hundred-mile-an-hour tape to make it "airworthy".

Back