• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tundra Tires: Gar Aero versus AK Bushwheel ? Which is best??

ARCHER

Can anyone describe, or explain the differences in handling characteristics betweek the 29" AK bushwheel and the 29" Gar Aeros?

I have heard that the Gar Aeros will last longer and cost less to replace tyres, and may be better long term if you have to be based on pavement. ....How do they handle compared with the AK Bushwheel?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

There is no comparison. The Gars are a big tire, but are heavy and fairly hard. They seem to work pretty well on pavement, but are not soft enough to soak up big rocks and other debris that wouldn't faze a Bushwheel.

The Bushwheels do not have a valve stem that penetrates the wheel so they can spin on the wheel without worrying about shearing the stem when you lock up the brakes. They provide superior cushioning for rough conditions. If you really need to go off airport in rough terrain - spend the bucks for the Bushwheels. If not, stick with 8.50 x 6.00 or equivalent.

Having had both, I concur with Ursa Major.....no comparison. The AK Bushwheels are superior in every aspect. If you are landing on glare ice, the GarAero might win but nowhere else. I've got a pair of GarAeros for sale if you want. Also, Bill Duncan and the folks at AK Bushwheel are really great to work with. They will definitely go the extra mile for you.

I have a set of gar aeros that the tread has been ground down smooth. The side wall says 3-4ply. These tires mounted are 35# a side. I agree that if one needs a real bushy tire the Ak. Bushwheel is the tire of choice. For a lot of folks the 29" Gar Aero offers a far superior alternative to the Goodyear 26". What I do like about the Gar Aero is they are a tough tire and mine have exibited very good durability over the years. I don't cover these tires and there is no weatherchecking. I would expect these tires to last a long time. I would expect that in shale, rocks, cactus or sticks these tires would be more cut resistant. Gar Aeros do not offer as much frame cushioning effect as the Bushwheel. Ground clearence is greater with the bushwheel offering better prop protection. Both tires have a wide footprint though I think the Bushwheel has a greater footprint.

Overall I would prefer to have a set of Bushwheels and I'm saving for a set. Until then I'll drive my Gar Areos and accept the fact that they have more limitations than the Bushwheel.
pak

The GAR Aeros were the "Cats Meow" years back ("Old Tech")when everybody was triing different tire /wheel combo's to go to the bush. the new bushwheels are "new technology" and perform great in the bush (Ruff Stuff). You just need to evaluate your type of operation and buy the tire that suits your ops. If you really need big tires, you'll love the AK Bushwheels. Plus your cub will leap off the ground with all that $$ out of your rear pocket. PAK said it well. jk

I've run the gar-aero, the original old "air streaks" and the new ak bush wheels. By FAR the Bush Wheels are the BEST tire every made for off airport work!

Keep in mind that some folks buy big tires because they like the look, and I agree that they look cool. However in a real world application for landing in soft/rough stuff the Bush Wheels are by far a superior tire to anything ever built, period! Plus, Bill, Whup, and the rest of the crew at Bush Wheels are very nice folks to do business with.

The 29" tires begs the questions why not buy the real thing, 31" tires?
The 31" tires have the side wall to take-up all the bumbs. If the plane is set-up right, and you're confident to land in the rough stuff, the bush wheels are the best insurance you can buy.

What you're really getting when you put on bigger tires are more sidewall. The sidewall height, couple w/ the soft durometer of the rubber thier made from, give you a big shock absober. On pavement, espesially on a hot day, they are a little grabby, be quick on your rudders. I generally touch one tire, then rock it over on the other, and then let the tail down.
With the gar-areo you're getting a heavy old peice of junk that you could use on a farm tractor, not something I'd want on a fine machine like a Cub.

Good Flying...>Byron

I may be a little late with my 2 cents, but I believe it's worth the read. Beyond the physical superiority of the Bushwheel, remember the "PHONY GLUED ON WHEEL ADAPTORS" that make your cleveland a 10". These adaptors have been known to fail resulting in a ground loop, wing tip strike and worse. Besides PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, at an authentic bush strip, Bushwheels are the hands down best insurance you can buy. I urge you to go ahead and spend the extra cash, you will not be disappointed.

gar-aero's

Bushwheels are great if you are not on the pavement. Gar-Aero's are good tires(shaved three-ply) if you have to use paved runways. If you really want to ruin your day take your Bushwheels (that you just paid way too much for) and land on sharp schist/shale/ pavement and see what it does to them. At this point you will see where the Gar-Aeros shine....

Hi all....new to the list....anyone know where to find I can find a set of tundra tires for a 4 inch wheel? ......Gary C

Interesting thread. Aren't the new radial bushwheels more resistent to pavement, or should they still be kept off the pavement?

Also, I tried both the 29's and 31's BWs (on other people's planes), and I actually liked the 29's better (seem to me to be a little more stable in landing). Is this just mostly a personal preference thing that more people seem to like the 31's?

BiG TireS

Gar-Aero's are for max terrain with a 185. I put these on my 185, and they were on it until I sold it. The big wheelflange/sidewall spread out the load to the rubber - so I could get the PSI down lower than I could get any other tire/wheel combination on the 185.

3600 lbs landing at 55 mph off airport - This is where the Gar-Aero's shine.

I agree with the preceeding comments about the Gar-Aero's on a Cub.

Bob Breeden

Planes that fly for the Montana Fish and Game use to use Gar Aero tires but had to much problems with them going flat when landing on the prickly pear cactus. With the new 31 Bush Wheels I land amoung the cactus with out any problems and no flats. The best insurance you can buy is getting a set of Alaska Bush Tires

Frankly, the only justification for buying Gar Aeros now for a Cub is money. There is little doubt that the Bushwheels are a superior product for most everything.

That said, they are expensive.

Finally, the choice depends a bit on what you're landing on. For example, on soft beaches, the Gar Aeros will do almost as well as the BW's. The test here is simply footprint, and they are close here. Disadvantage with the Gar Aeros here is they can't be run at low low pressure, as noted above.

But get into the rough stuff, and there is simply no comparison.

Now, finally, the justification that a lot of folks use for buying big tires, but rarely admit to: They look cool.

In this case, either tire will do :lol:

MTV

Never used them, but seems like overkill to me. I really like the 29's frankly, and think they're about big enough for what I'm brave enough for.

It is possible to get enough tire under the airplane that you can land on stuff you can't walk on very well. I draw the line there, thanks.

A friend used to have a set of the old 36 inch Airwheels on a Cub, and it was such a machine. It would land on stuff that the tailwheel would go up to its neck in, and the mains almost didn't leave a track.

But, if you are landing in boulder patches, the bigger tires should be better, they'll certainly take up a lot more of the rough, which is what you need there.

MTV

It is interesting to hear that a couple of people prefer 29's over 31's for the flying they do. Curious if anyone out there prefers the 26" BW? I know it wouldn't give as much cushioning as a 29" or 31". But it would be faster and 12 lbs lighter. How would people rate the 26" BW compared to 8.50x6 or Goodyear 26 or the Gar Aeros? I had one friend who had flown his 12 on both 26" and 31" BWs and said he could go almost everywhere he went on with the 31s with the 26s.

Back