• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North to Alaska on Floats

Jerry Gaston

Bozeman, Montana
I know that this topic has been addressed before but I know how plans change so here goes.
I'm wondering if there is any one wanting to go to Alaska this summer on straight floats? I was planning a great summer here and in Canada on floats but lost my partner who checked out on floats so am thinking about going to Alaska and meeting up with some of the cub pilots there.
I have been to Alaska several times but think it kind of lonely going all that way alone. Am flexible on timing. Thinking about going up the coast.

Thanks Cub Driver I'm going to take you up on that.
What would be better for the summer floats of tundra tires? I have both but am on floats right now. I'm going to visit Torch in Fairbanks and then go out to Dellingham. I'd like to do some flyfishing. Are you on floats or wheels ?
Is there a place to store floats over the winter somewhere?

Jerry

I will keep a spot open for you at my dock. I am on wheels and I live on a lake? I think you will have a ball on floats are you thinking of shipping your wheels up and swaping to them for your return trip? There are a couple of options for winter float storage we can chat about that later.

Torch will be stopping in this summer for a little fishing I will be looking forward to your guys arrival.

Cub_Driver

Jerry
I am interested in where you are thinking about stopping. I am coming from MN and flying up the coast in August and was also looking for another driver who has been there before. If you wouldnt mind passing on where your stopping I am all ears. Thanks

Blake The last couple of times I have flown the coast my itinerary was as follows:
Lv Bozeman stop at Felts Field in Spokane
Fly to Lake Chelean for fuel
Stop at Bellingham WA and call customs
Go thru custom at Naniamo BC (on Vancouver Island)
Stop at Port McNeil for fuel and a great steak.
Next stop Prince Rupert then Ketchian Alaska for customs
Juneau is the next stop.
The next day is a full one going from Juneau to Valdez or Seward
It is an easy flight from there to Anchorage.
I'm usually not in any hurry so an unscheduled stop for some fishing is always in order. There are great lakes and bays along the way for some great fishing and camping so the weather is never a major concern if you have lots of food and gear.
I see that you are on wheel floats which can be really helpful at times.

Back