• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

B@C Oil Filter Adapter

Propeye

I am in the process of installing a B@C oil filter adapter on my O360. In the attached diagram it recomends the installation of a thermostatic valve on the rear of the adapter. Premier Engines says that with the oil cooler installed, the engine oil will not warm up satisfactorily without this valve.
Does anyone run their O320-O360's with or without this valve with the oil cooler. If you do not use this valve, are your oil temps warm enough-160-180 degrees F.? I'm interested in what you all do in this situation? The valve costs about $230.00+ new and I don"t want to buy it if I don't need it.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Rich

If you don't have a vernitherm you should have a viscosity valve which is a spring and ball which allows the oil to pass when it heats up and thins out. In most engines seems to work just as well and is simpler.

I have a similar concern with my sc. I cannot get my oil temp past 150 degrees. It has an 0235-c1 with an oil cooler ,with the air inlet covered (winter cover).This is flying in 45 degree weather.Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks for the replys. Yes, it is also called the vernitherm. Where is the viscosity valve located. By any chance is it normally inside the tubular chamber containing the oil screen, which will be removed and replaced with the B@C oil filter adapter? Is it something I can purchase and mount in conjunction with the filter?
thanks.
Rich

The Vernitherm actually works on Bill's rig as there is a "precision' ground seat, unlike the rough cast seat on the lycoming housing.

Tim

Back