• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alexander Creek

cub_driver

Big Lake AK
I am getting a little King fishing fever so I flew to the mouth of Alexander creek and landed on the island. There is a large log that has settled in at the brush line of the upstream end of the strip. The low spot on the upstream end of the strip seems lower this year then in the past but the rest of the strip is smooth and firm. There is a honest 700 feet between the log and the end of the island.

Good luck fishing.

Cub_Driver

Sounds like a good idea for a flyin and cook out while getting that hazzard out of the way.....Envy you

Ernie

Keep in mind, boys and girls, that the Su is still frozen. When it thaws and starts flowing, the water will rise. What's left will be something less than 700'. Adequate to land? Depends on the pilot and the conditions of the day. You float guys should go take a look at the lay of the land now, before the water hides the embarassing sandbars we all like to watch you hit.

The circus is coming! The circus is coming!

SB

stewartb said:
Keep in mind, boys and girls, that the Su is still frozen. When it thaws and starts flowing, the water will rise. What's left will be something less than 700'. Adequate to land? Depends on the pilot and the conditions of the day. You float guys should go take a look at the lay of the land now, before the water hides the embarassing sandbars we all like to watch you hit.

The circus is coming! The circus is coming!

SB

Every time I read your posts, it reminds me of something we did in the past. How about flying a complete circus into Nome, including an elephant, in 737s out of ANC?
That is a great area to go fishing in for sure having lived at Curry and Talkeetna at one time. All I have around here is the Gulf of Mexico and Marlin fishing.
Reason for a flyin along the river?

Ernie

The Big-Su and Little-Su may have been frozen yesterday but this afternoon they where free flowing rivers :lol: . The water level is higher in the Big-Su this year then last year this time. I didnt see or expect to see any Kings rolling in the mouth of the Alexander but I am going to wet a line next week anyway just because I can 8) .

Ernie I agree that log needs to be removed if I have time I will take a saw in with me at make firewood out of it. How about we make a deal I will trade you some fresh salmon for some fresh Marlin?

Cub_Driver

Cub Driver
There's lots of good fish to eat, but marlin's not one of em. If he's getting marlin, he's probably getting tuna, dolphin, and maybe wahoo; all really good eating.
Ken

I will stick with the King Salmon of course with Sheefish (Kobuk River) a close second. :)

Ernie

I love salmon, I don't care for halibut. The absolute best fish I've ever eaten is Quill-back Rockfish. They're not yelloweyes, or typical black rockfish. They're quill-backs. And they are unbelievable. If you like lobster, you'll like quills.
SB

stewartb said:
I love salmon, I don't care for halibut. The absolute best fish I've ever eaten is Quill-back Rockfish. They're not yelloweyes, or typical black rockfish. They're quill-backs. And they are unbelievable. If you like lobster, you'll like quills.
SB

My boss in Anchorage had his boat docked at Homer and we would go fishing when we could get away from the airline which was seldom for both of us at the same time.
We always joked that we were going fishing just for the hellofthebut.
Guess you spell it different than we did. :wink:

I was sitting poolside on Maui at the resort I was associated with when I started asking people about King Crab and if they had ever eaten any. These were people from all over the world and hardly no one had.
I got on the phone and called a friend in sales with Western Airlines in Anchorage and told him I need 20 pounds of King Crab ASAP. This was at about 3 PM and the next morning at 8 AM it was on Maui. Western furnished it and free transportation to HNL and Hawaiian Airlines flew it to Maui free. A friend from Maui and I set up a BBQ grill at pool side that afternoon and invited everyone to come over and try some at happy hour. All they had to do was tell a joke from their country to do so. Talk about fun but it was very interesting to see the look on their faces when they tried King Crab the first time. Even the owners of the resort joined us at poolside to try it.

:cheers

Ernie

Ernie,
I get to Hawaii occasionally. I find it humerous that I can buy King Crab cheaper in Kahului than I can in Anchorage, and I can buy Mahi Mahi cheaper here than there.

We used to go King Crabbing in Kachemak Bay before the blight. If you ever get the chance to tear crab clusters off of live crabs and drop them right into a steamer, you will taste heaven. Hot crab and a cold beer. Mmm, mmm good.
SB

stewartb said:
Ernie,
I get to Hawaii occasionally. I find it humerous that I can buy King Crab cheaper in Kahului than I can in Anchorage, and I can buy Mahi Mahi cheaper here than there.
We used to go King Crabbing in Kachemak Bay before the blight. If you ever get the chance to tear crab clusters off of live crabs and drop them right into a steamer, you will taste heaven. Hot crab and a cold beer. Mmm, mmm good.
SB

Ah, the good life SB. What a way to live but I have never been King Crabbing nor clam digging. There is a 50 ton whaling story at Barrow though. Extra big hook? :wink:

How about this. At North Pole, the refinery there has to pay the same price for crude oil as OPEC sells it for and the crude comes out of the pipeline out of Prudhoe Bay so the price of gas and diesel goes up. I know the costs of production there has not really gone up. Price depends on what people will pay I guess or what some government VIP..........woops, better not say that.

Just a kid out of high school in 1957 and working for the Federal Alaska Railroad stationed at Bird Point (yes, very, very near the old Bird House), I helped put up a fish net some distance out on the mud flats. Every tide someone had to go out and clean the net and backpack the Kings back in. Being the kid, I was always assigned to do it. Although used to throwing 120 pound bales of hay on the farm, I could only pack one King at a time and only had time for two trips per tide. Always scarry on that second trip though. One mistake and the tide gets you and the mud flats can become quicksand in seconds.
Besides having plenty of grilled steaks, we smoked over 1000 pounds of kings that summer using alder and oak chips from the car shop in Anchorage in a home made smoker. You would be surprised how many reasons we found to take the railroad pickup into town for something and come back with wood chips. Oh was that salmon good with a cool one or two and since it was only a 20 man crew (one female cook) there was enough for all.

By the way I had to start a second thread to resize the posts correctly.

Remember SB, Maui no ka 'oi, right?

Ernie

Log

cub_driver said:
The Big-Su and Little-Su may have been frozen yesterday but this afternoon they where free flowing rivers :lol: . The water level is higher in the Big-Su this year then last year this time. I didnt see or expect to see any Kings rolling in the mouth of the Alexander but I am going to wet a line next week anyway just because I can 8) .

Ernie I agree that log needs to be removed if I have time I will take a saw in with me at make firewood out of it. How about we make a deal I will trade you some fresh salmon for some fresh Marlin?

Cub_Driver

Shut the chain saw off and back away from the log. 8) I just came back from landing there and it is no problem. We have been waiting for this for years. It will keep the Fish & Game and rookies out of there. More fish for us and fewer tickets to boot. Besides, it looks like a parts department just waiting to happen. :wink: Crash

Fish

I checked my boat and took a leak. The fish are most likely a couple of weeks out yet (fished there since 1981). Crash

As of this morning, the water is up to the log. The Big Su is rising.
I saw two beautiful brown bears today on the way down the creek. Dark with lots of blonde tips. Both small, around 7'. I love it this time of year, before the crowds show up.
SB

I flew up to Alexander creek and Beluga earlier this afternoon. Posted a couple of snapshots on page 55 of the supercub photos gallery. Looks like somebody hauled in a spruce stump in case the log washes away.

Didn't see any bears but did see around a dozen moose between Twin Island Lake and Olson Creek. Nice day.

Have you guys fished the Deshca river? I know the spelling on that is wrong but close enough. It comes into the Sue. We put in at Willow creek and went down the Sue and hung a right on the Deshca and went up about 20 miles. Caught alot of Silvers, talk about good smoking. A friend of mine got married on the Deshca and alot of people showed up in planes and airboats. Lots to eat and to much to drink, there was one big tent for the gals and one for the guys, about midnight the gals went to sleep and guys kept drinking and telling storys. After everyone went to sleep the guys woke up to screeming from the gals tent. My friend took a look just wearing underpants and there was a black bear looking into their tent. He grabbed his rifle and shot it and yelled out its dead! I quess the bear had been causing alot of trouble in the area. He went back to bed and the ladys didnt sleep at all. Only in Alaska

Su water up?

Ursa Major said:
I flew up to Alexander creek and Beluga earlier this afternoon. Posted a couple of snapshots on page 55 of the supercub photos gallery. Looks like somebody hauled in a spruce stump in case the log washes away.

URSAM: is your photo http://www.supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=supercubs&id=cyw from Sunday?? I haven't browsed the pixels before, so I might have the wrong one?

WOW, is the water that high already?

Alaxander's as high as I've seen it in 15 years. The Su is just starting to rise. It should be pretty stable until the end of the first week in June, and then the Su will rise a couple of feet. By then, the Alexander will have dropped. The picture looks like today to me.
SB

Nice picture Mike all this warm weather sure has the rivers swelling I hope my boat dose not get washed downriver(ha).

Crash I might have to cut that log out of the way I have a friend that brings his 206 in there he asked me to remove the log if he gets time to fish there this year. As far as the stump it is a none factor just looks bad of course that was last week.

Just a reminder there are some folks that work out of that strip with no radio it's a good idea to circle the island before landing.

Cub_ Driver

Tell your friend not to worry. By the time the fishing's good, the log should be under water. No problem.
SB

Re: Su water up?

Draggin' tail said:
Ursa Major said:

URSAM: is your photo http://www.supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=supercubs&id=cyw from Sunday?? I haven't browsed the pixels before, so I might have the wrong one?

WOW, is the water that high already?

Yep, the picture was taken today and the water IS that high. Sorry the picture quality is not that great, it was a little bumpy.

Back