• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prop Overhaul

Tom

Bettendorf, Iowa
I have the standard 74 X56 Senenich prop on my PA 18 150. There is some corrosion on one blade in particular that has me a little concerned. I have asked several A&Ps and I have received mixed advice. Some said just fly it and 2 others recommended sending it to Wheeling IL for an overhaul.

I noticed that Maxwell Props at Crystal Airport, Minneapolis area also overhauls props. I am going to be near Crystal on Friday. Does anyone have any experience with Maxwells?
I have been told that it costs $600 for an overhaul. Does that sound about right? I see that a new prop is $2500. I don't want to do that if it isn't neccesary.

Tom in Iowa

I would also recommend Mike @ Tiffin Air if you are ever in the N. Ohio area for prop work. Always been very fair and honest.
Mikey

Re: Just another reason......

CptKelly said:
Guys, Thats just another reason to go experimental.

Mike

Mike, are you referring to Corrosion or what I suspect you're referring to the FAA overzealousness! Experimentals are still mandated to the same 5 year propellor corrosion inspection requirement as certified a/c...at least here in Canada. This is about the only thing taken from the certified inspections that we have to comply with...we can use thrown away non-sealed lift struts on a homebuilt and don't have to do any AD's...but still have to remove and check the prop for corrosion every 5 years.

Cheers,
Wayne

I for one am leaving mine polished, the heck with the Kalifonia FAA... Besides, if I painted it I wouldn't be able to see the wood grain under the varnish...

I had my overhaul done at New England Propellor in CT. They went above and beyond and the workmanship is superb. Total bill: $570. That's very reasonable.

When Pigs Fly said:
I for one am leaving mine polished, the heck with the Kalifonia FAA... Besides, if I painted it I wouldn't be able to see the wood grain under the varnish...

Oh -- they were talking about wood props!!!! whew, for a minute I thought they were talking about--- wait a minute, how do you alodize a wood prop???? that inspectors name rings a bell. does he have a brother that was a flight ops guy in some obscure northern state once upon a time or is he a cross dresser ( I mean inspector)?

T.J. Hinkle said:
Interesting topic:
Did anyone else read the url, whidbey.com? If I read the comments from the faa guy, Dennis Pollard, correctly,as a mech I can't clean and paint a prop in the field, it must go in for repair? I have to follow the Mfgs. original prep and paint for a repair? I'm sure all the mechs out there have a can of Sherwin Williams "Polane" paint on the shelf just for prop touch up.
This guy tags a plane sitting on the ramp because it has a polished prop?
Another example of a faa guy gone off the deep end.
I think the old guy on Whidbey Island has decided "This is the hill I want to die on." and the faa guy is gonna lose.
Another small point. If we haven't insulted the employees of the faa to the point that they have left the site, I have a question. Is a PMI or what ever the correct name is for them now, required to have an AP license?
Thanks.

T.J....

The key word in the polished prop discussion is "recommended"... It's in the same context as TBO "recommendations"... As far as I'm concerned, you're doing it right...

As Wayne (Irishfield) pointed out, the rules are different in Canada...

An applicant for an Airworthiness Aviation Safety Inspector position must have an Airframe and Powerplant Certificate (IA not required) and at least 3 years supervisory experience in aviation... An Avionics Aviation Safety Inspector applicant does not have to have an A&P...

Steve Pierce said:
While we are on the subject, what is starting pay?

Almost $60K and you'd be an excellent candidate...

I could use a pay raise with less headaches and overhead. Only problem is I would have to leave Hooterville. Could i approve my own Field Approvals?

T.J. Hinkle said:
Interesting topic:
I'm sure all the mechs out there have a can of Sherwin Williams "Polane" paint on the shelf just for prop touch up.

I'm gonna go down to the local Sherwin Williams store and buy me a can of it and a big paint brush so I can do it right. Doubt I will ever have to worry about him catching me with a polished prop though.

Back