• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

power off approaches

JMBreitinger

Minneapolis, MN
I had an opportunity to fly with Chris Napier today.

He is one of those rare pilots who is both a great stick and rudder guy with loads of tailwheel time and a good teacher. He put me through the ringer with air work. We did really sloooow flight with climbs, decsents and turns all with the airspeed indicating zero (actually, it would have been about 15 MPH, it the scale went that low). We spent a lot of time right on the edge of the spin entry.

Then he had me do the falling leaf, power off with the stick against the aft stop, the object being to keep the wings level with the rudder. When the wings are stalled and the ailerons are useless, the rudder remains effective. I have done this is a stock Cub and in a Pitts. It is a lot of work but a good excercise. With the vortex generators, my Cub just settles into a mushing decsent with the wings level. Aileron authority is still good. About the only way to get the wing to break and fall off is to induce some excess yaw.

Anyway, we talked a lot about glides. He got me flying the wing with the horizon as my primary reference. In my airplane, if you set up for a power off glide trimmed so that the bottom of the wing is parallel with the horizon at the wing tip, it settles in at the best glide speed. For a no flap landing, this is a great approach speed. We did a bunch and experimented with it a lot to prove it. It works.

The more I fly this airplane, the more I learn that it works best with outside references.

John, the cool thing is that the level the wing with the horizon (or use the level flight picture) works with every kind of airplane I have every flown! Sometimes you have to have somebody smack you to get your eyes of the airspeed indicator.

Sounds like a good workout!

sj

Disclaimer: I am sure that some F-14 guy is going to tell me it does not work in an F-14, but I have never FLOWN one of those...

Way to go John! I knew Chris would make you work for it as well as give you a good mental grasp of the flight dynamics involved. Say hey from Brad Thornberg next time you run into him.

Good exercise, but doesn't work in mountains and canyons or in situations where the horizon is hard to identify.

Don makes a good point.

The key to exercises is knowing that they are exercises, understanding how they relate to the real world, and not losing your perspective.

It is possible to get discombobulated in a canyon, and start to lose references.

Keep up with the drills, and try to always imagine how they relate to the real world, as in how you can use what you just discovered, safely.

MTV

Good Job John! Glad to hear that you are relatively uninjured. Sorry about the cub though. Sounds like you did what needed to be done.

John, just read the bad news. The good news . .is that you are O.K. You have joined the very few who have had to make life and death decisions . . . and do a Hell of alot of flying . . .in very little time. My hat is off to you. You'll hear all those "sounds" for a long time. And you'll re-fly the event. The best thing to do . . . is get back up . . just as soon as you can. I'm thankful my father made me "get back on the horse" . . or I just might have quit. Larry C.

scubber said:
I'm thankful my father made me "get back on the horse" . . or I just might have quit. Larry C.

Thats exactly what my dad told me. Very thankful that he did!!! John, glad you are OK. Honestly, I am sure you are tired of hearing it, but airplanes can always be replaced...life can't. Good job coming back alive!

Bill

22 April 2004

John:

I am very sorry to read the news of your accident but glad to hear that you are OK. Having dead sticked four planes in (Beech sport, two ultralights and a Cherekoo six) I am familiar with the urgency of quick but rational thinking. As someone mentioned, you will relive the sequence time and time again. That's pretty normal.

I congratulate you on your skill and clear thinking when it counted most. Get back into the air soon.

Tom from Iowa

John,

My phone was ringing off the hook all morning from my friends wondering if that was me at Crystal this morning. I?m really glad that all is a-ok. Great job! Lets go up in my Cub next week.

Your hanger neighbor,

Patrick

Back