• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

pa-12 alternator

lp

Flin Flon, Manitoba ,Canada
Hi guys: does anyone out there know of an alternator that is stc'd for a pa-12 with an 0-320? I've tried interav but their's is only stc'd for a 12 with an 0-290. It seems that b&c is only experimental and I'm in canada so a field approval is non existent. Aany suggestions would be appreciated. thanks. l.p.

The O-235 came stock on the 12. In the States the installing mechanic must verify that one modification doesn't interfere with another. When I installed the Internav on a Clipper which it is STC'd for I verify that it doesn't interfere with the O-320 installed on a field approval.

I talked to InterAv about this last year. They said the intent was that the alternator STC would apply to any of the Lyc. engines (as it reads on the approval list for other Pipers), however it got published as PA-12 w/ O-290. What they didn't say was that they would be of any help in getting that wording corrected. I believe Cub Club has a couple of Field Approval 337 copies for the InterAv on O-320 you can get, but understand you may not be able to go that route. My first choice when doing the O-320 Kenmore STC was to use the "ALY-????" alternator that is approved on the O-320 TC to get around it, but had clearance problems w/ the alternator bracket Vs added oil cooler bracket. The InterAv installation does not have clearance problems.
Mikey

I noticed on the stc list that the interav alternator is approved for a pa-22 with an 0-320. Since my engine originally came out of a tri-pacer I wonder if that would allow me to use the alternator on my 12. Like you said the 12's never had an 0-320 from the factory.

Any help revisiting this topic 9 years later?

Piper pa-12

I am installing O-320 160 hp using Charlie centers stc. I would like to put a light weight alternator and solid state voltage regulator on.

Thanks

I've got a B&C alternator and lightweight starter on my 0-320 powered PA-12. I'm very pleased with both. There was some interference with the original oil cooler, but I switched to a lightweight oil cooler mounted behind the left rear baffle---that's the ticket in my opinion. Suggest you call B&C, very good folks---they'll likely have answers to your dilemma.

Back