• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Taurus Pistols

kase

SPONSOR
Billings MT
I was thinking of buying a Taurus PT92AF 9MM pistol and was wondering if anybody has one and if so do they like it? They got them on sale here in town and was gonna pick one up.

I had a Taurus once.......they are a cheap weapon but I never had any trouble with it.

Taurus' stuff isn't bad these days. Better than, say, a S&W Sigma (SW99, I think they call them these days).

I'm a single-action semi-auto guy, though - 1911 & Browning (FN) Hi-Power - so I haven't any actual experience with the Taurus line. One of my sisters has a Sigma 9mm, and a brother the SW99 in .40 cal. I'd take your Taurus over either. Younger son shoots a Walther P99; OK, but not for the money.

Jon B.

edited to add: Compare the cost and availability of spare magazines though, if you plan on having a bunch of extras. Sometimes parts and accessories are scarce and expensive.

A friend of mine asked me to post this---I haven't read it yet :D

Now we know...

Top 10 Reasons why some Men prefer Guns over Women

#10. You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

#9. You can keep one handgun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8. If you admire a friend's handgun and tell him so, he will
probably let you try it out a few times.

#7. Your primary handgun doesn't mind if you keep another handgun for a backup.

#6. Your handgun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5. A handgun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4. Handguns function normally every day of the month.

#3. A handgun doesn't ask , "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2. A handgun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

And the number one reason a handgun is favored over a woman

#1. YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A HANDGUN.

I have a PT-111 Millenium Pro. Excellent gun - after a minor defect was fixed by the factory, not one FTF/FTE in 300+ rds. I seem to be a defect magnet no matter what I buy. Anyway, my friend has one and is flawless out of the box.

I also have a Kel Tec P3-AT that I am crazy about because it's so small and easy to carry. No FTF/FTE at all in 250+ rds.

For big guns, I have a Colt 1911 Govt full size. My favorite.

What is the pistol's primary purpose, self defense or plinker? If for defense, I'd buy more gun as in more bore diameter and better quality. As a plinker, the Taurus 92 is a good buy though. Iv'e had one for years but if or when the chips ever come down, I personally would reach for something else like a good 1911 or Glock. Lot's of guys hate Glocks but they work every time and with almost any jacketed ammo.

Jon B. said:
I'm a single-action semi-auto guy, though - 1911 & Browning (FN) Hi-Power

A man after my own heart. IMHO the Hi-Power is the best pistol ever built.

I've got a ported Taurus .375 revolver that has held up well over the years.

I have had one for years. It is a good weapon. I did have to file and polish the feed ramp on the bottom of the chamber to feed hollow points.
The fancy South American wood grips look good but are a little slippery.
I like the frame safety over the slide safety on the Berretta.

Mike

How about the S&w Scandium 349 PD?

I have a really fine Dan Wesson 44 mag. Shoots like a charm but carries like a small riffle., and another snub S&W 44 mag that cariries well but shoots worse than I do. After seeing two of the scandium Smiths in the willd, I decided to get one when in town. It is still waiting my first round when I get back home in mid month. It is like picking up an empty carton of milk. Light like a good cub, but I bet it hurts to sight it in.

Anyone have any experience with the Scandium?

GR

I?ve got basically the same model (9mm) in a Llama, Star and Taurus.

As stated above?PASS?on this deal and hold out for the one and only 1911 in 45ACP.

I?ve shot all of them and wouldn?t trade my 1911 for anything.

It?s the only Cub pistol that I lug along with all the other gear.

harneymaki

Glad we could drag you out of the woods with a subject that you felt like commenting on :p

And you are right, the P220 is nice.

And Supercubber

I had the pleasure (may I say displeasure) of shooting a Glock 40 SW a few weeks ago.

Can I just say ...UGGG.... :roll:

How did you know I was in the woods? Just got back from trout fishing for 4 days. The best part of the trip was getting checked by the Canadian DNR. The landed next to us with their turbine Beaver on skis. Cool stuff.

Paul

I've had a PT92 for about 10 years. When I bought it new, I would have a FTE (stovepipe) about every 50 to 100 rds fired depending on the quality of the ammo. Not an acceptable rate of reliability. I sent it back to Taurus, and after 3 weeks got it back. Perfect. After 5000+ rds I've had one FTE, and it was cheap junk ammo. Taurus sent an explination of what they fixed along with a 500 rnd bench test result. AND paid all shipping. Mostly use it for fun, also as secondary home protection (Scattergun is Primary). For a cheap 15+1 9mm its hard to beat. Unless you can find a good deal on a hi-power.

Holy Cow! A year-long thread.

Jet A:

I bought an ex-Israeli military FN Hi-Power a couple years ago. They look like crap, but are the picture of simple functionality. Black lacquer-type finish, cheap plastic stocks, low-profile sights. I replaced the itty-bitty safety with an extended one for <$20.

You can still find them for around $350. Or, get a FEG clone; they're around $250, and good shooters.

If you don't care for a single-action, cocked & locked carry, the Tortise will work, as will most of the others mentioned. Glocks, while ugly and having no soul at all (unlike a 1911) are as dependable pistol as you can find. I can't stand the look and feel but others swear by them.

Jon B.

Jon B. said:
Holy Cow! A year-long thread.

Jon B.

Jon,

Don't get too excited. It is only March 5. You have 20 days to go. Do the math. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bought a Taurus Raging Bull, 5 inch, in .454 Casull 4 years ago for backpacking purposes. On the first box of ammo, the trigger disconnector broke so that the firing pin dragged on the back of the spent cases, locking the mechanism.... not good in bear country, solo, on foot. Sent it back to the factory with the intent of repair then sell. When I got it back 6 weeks later, the factory had done the repair, did a timing job on the cylinder, polished the entire working mechanism, performed a trigger job, and tightened both locks til there is zero cylinder swing in cocked position. (Wonderfully accurate and fun to shoot once you get used to the VERY LOUD REPORT and the pain in the palm (SAAMI on this round is over 50000 CUP)) Have now killed several caribou and a moose with it.
Latest concensus that I have is that the Taurus is 95 % of a Smith without the finish, and the factory treats you really well if you need them.
My philosophy, though, is that if you take a cost of a handgun out to 20 years, the difference in price between the very best and the very worst may be 30 bucks a year... 50 cents a month ... for a handgun that will never let you down, and will only appreciate in value. "You pays your money, and you takes your choice."

Oops, 50 cents a week... 10 latte's a year ... 5 trips to McDonalds for you alone.... 2 movie tickets for you and your sweetie, not counting popcorn....... and a good gun carries so well in your SC :)

My uninformed take on this,

1) Bigger Problems- Ruger 44mag. Vaquero or Redhawk Stainless, Throw in the plane and forget. Always there and always works.

2) Medium Problems-Glock 40 S+W, or 9 MM. Throw in plane and forget. Always there and always works.

3) Small Problems i.e. errant pop cans, charging ptaragain, etc. Ruger Single Six or Ruger Semi-auto Mk II.

All, but the 44 mag are cheap to shoot (practice) with, All work near perfect, and all can be had for $500 or less new if you search. Well maybe $550. I shot or owned each, along with MILLIONS of other people, and BILLIONS or rds. Granted none are glamour guns; they are reliable like a cub though.

Mike

I bought that Taurus a year ago and shot around 500 rounds threw it no problems with factory ammo.

Back