• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aerial Drops

Ramchaser

Edgewater, BC
Just wondering what some of you guys aerial drop for camps and food for backpack hunting and what do you package your drops in, with what kind of success?

Cheers, Ramchaser

Although I do not have any left, the best I found for a container was the metal "cans" that large faced altimeter displays came in that were used in the Flight Service Stations. They had a locking ring on the lid and were a perfect size for a bunch of freeze dried food, bottle of blazo, etc. never saw one open when dropped onto tundra. Now, metal five gallon cans of gas, that's another story of limited success! I always carry plastic film cannisters with about 6 feet of surveyors tape protruding through the lid, bolt or two inside for weight, for dropping notes. I have dropped all kinds of stuff related to school supplies to family's that lived where you could not land on wheels in the summer, usually using a passenger to actually drop the stuff while I drove. Once they wanted me to drop a glass art kit! I brought it back instead.

Sheep Camp

Hey there,
Depending on the drop, the time between the drop and recovery, and the "edible" contents makes a drastic difference in the success of the package. I find that many hungry bears live in sheep country and are happy to recieve a free meal! If the drop time is limited to hours,the success rate of the dilevery is good to excelent. I found that if you are low and slow with the package wrapped in a sleeping bag and supercub tape and several duum liners with streamers works well. I drop white gas in this config. and its fine. Cheers, Mikthestik

Back