• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

LONG RANGE TANKS

supercub88

atlanta,ga
Hello, I'm having my supercub recovered. It has a 180 and we want to put bigger than the 36 gals in. Cubcrafters seemed pretty expensive. Also best vortex generators

tanks

cub88,
Dakota Cub tanks are the best value for your dollar. 24 gallons each side, easy installation, quality workmanship, reasonable price ! If your bladder can take more the other option would be Atlee Dodge tanks at 30.5 gallons per wing. Both can be accessed on the 'links' page on this web site.

Have a look at the airglas belly tank option. We may go with it as it leaves us with the option of only using the standard wing tanks and the belly tank empty on short hauls and we don't have to mess with the wing installing bigger tanks.

I have an enquiry in with them as to how it are set up (pumps, gauges, selectors, etc) and what comes with the kit and I think it is a bit cheaper than upsizing the wing tanks.

http://www.airglas.com./light_aircraft/index.html

Thanks to landesskis for for the pointer to them

The tank is longer than the stock tank and runs from the inboard compression strut all the way to the second one. It is held in by the stock Piper fuel tank straps but you add a third set. You cut out the outboard rib that the tank cover screws to to make a tank rib out of it and modify the next rib with the flange to hold the tank cover. You then add another set of tank straps. I replaced the leading edge with one that was longer and had the joggle and nut plates for the tank to screw to and they sell a piece to extend the angle/false spar that the rear of the tank lid screws to.

Mike, "landesskis" is an avatar name. He's been posting for awhile now.

I like the idea of the Dakota 24 gallon tanks for a guy who doesn't want the bellypod.

The cool thing about the pod is that the extra weight is down low, and also that a guy can get a pod that is part cargo pod and part fuel tank. A guy with a pod can trust his sight gauges the same as always without wondering about the extra big wing tanks. He can remove the pod if he wants, and it's easy to put a gas can under the pod drain for dumping fuel if you're setting-up or replenishing fuel-caches. The pod works on wheels, skis, AND floats, no problem. They also have a set-up for the -12. That's all a cool deal. Airglas make excellent products for Cubs. They also make excellent products for the military. You gotta know that they are first-rate all the way!!

Just so we don't get into a VG war, let me say that whatever kind you get, you WILL notice a difference! You WILL notice that your aileron authority at low speeds is increased greatly. You will notice that the a/c hangs on at very high angles of attack before dropping the nose (yeah, I know that's not worth much in the real world, but it could save your bacon on an approach to a turbulent LZ, anyone want to argue?)

I have a Cub with Micro VG's and a Cub with BLR VG's. I've heard and discussed the pluses and negatives to each VG scheme. Let us just say that my opinion is to get the most out of your money. Also, that VG's on a Cub do their job at relatively higher angles of attack than on other a/c, like jets and light twins. So, it makes sense that they should be placed on the wing IN the CLEAN airflow regions of the wing found at those higher angle of attack flight regimes where we need them (slow-flight in a Cub). Anyone who's seen the placement scheme for each brand, Micro VS BLR, knows what I am saying here, whether they agree or not.

Anyone with a strong preference is welcome to list your reasons. I am into being "learned" and welcome your tutelage. DAVE

Actually, isn't it time we had another VG war?

I have the belly pod from Landis with the storage and the 18 gal tank and I love it. I feel that it give me extra airspeed also when on 31 in tundras. It is easy to install and remove and works with skis, floats and wheels. It is high quality construction.
If your going with VGs go with the Micros they don't have the metal carnard out front of the elevators which can be a pain when pushing your plane back into the hanger. It seems that the carnards are always in the way and very hard on soft bellies.

Longer range fuel

When I had my Pacer I used a 337 with field approval off the shortwing piper club site to increase tank capacity. The gist of the mod is you find 2 old tanks and cut off the outer 9-11". These are welded onto the existing tanks after holes are cut in the end for fuel flow baffles. The tricky part is extending the pass through tube. The outer rib is opened and stiffeners installed top and bottom. The mod will add from 4-5 gallons per side. It was a pretty easy mod for the A&P I worked with . We did take our plans to the local FSDO for pre-approval. They had no problem with it. Your experience and mileage may vary.... I spent less than the cost of one Dodge tank on the mod.

Back