• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

swing up left window?

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
I'm thinking of putting in a full length swing-up left window in my cub. Is there anyone that has done this that has drawings or pictures of the installation?

I purchased a supercub from the FBO operator in Lakeview OR, I believe he was the individual who installed that type of window on my cub. It works well and I enjoy that feature of the plane.

supercubdriver.........could you check and see if you have any paperwork on the window? I'd like to see some close up digital pics if you have, or could get, any.
Email me @ squawkident@iw.net

Thanks.........

I have recent experience with one in a 180hp Cub. In the summertime you will miss the sliding window. I was originally excited about the window but I would rather have the sliding window for summer heat.

The windows on my cub have a hydraulic cylinder similar to a hatchback ona car that allow the windows to remain open in flight. Was that the issue with the 180Cub, no way to keep the window open?

Has anyone fabricated a left window (full length) that operates just as the right one? That would involve removing the framing piece between the sliders and the little front triangle window.

Dave:
I've got the paperwork for one we did about 14 yrs ago. I really wouldn't recommend it. Seemed to have to much wind velocity. Had to put a little deflector in the windshield strip to cut down on the wind, but it didn't help much. I can send you a copy if you want though. I'd stick with a standard fold up on the left. If you're not using it for coyote hunting, it might be alright though.

Dave,

Geo Hindall built a full length swing up left window, but it also included a left hand door which required moving the throttle and a whole bunch of plumbing and tube modification. The cub parked next to mine has this mod. It would be great for a seaplane, but it does add weight and complexity. I believe it was done under an STC, but don't know for sure.

I've never seen a full length left side window (without the door) but I have seen ones that replace the existing sliding window. These were all done as mods for coyote hunters and were done with field approvals.

You might check with USDA, Animal Damage Control for a list of operators who do aerial gunning. I'd bet that a few of them have swing up left windows. They might be able to steer you toward an approved setup.

Thanks for the info........I've seen the rectangular window fold ups also, but never the entire left side

Brian...........why would the wind velocity be any different than the right fold up window? I'd like to see the paperwork you have.

When I looked at the "Alaskan Cub" that Wipaire has listed For Sale I noticed that it has a upward opening window on the left side like you are talking about. It had a full length piano hinge on the top, the frame was built from square tube, and it had a single latch in the bottom middle. The latch kind of resembled the type that was used on the wind wings of older cars. I recall hearing somewhere that Cub Den or Hindal had a STC for the window and the latch.

Frank

cubdrvr said:
Brian...........why would the wind velocity be any different than the right fold up window?

Probably isn't. But this one was built for predator control and in the winter, the full length was just too much wind blast for the gunner. plus you still had to install some kind of stop so the gunner didn't shoot the prop off.

If its just for more air in the summer, it would probably be fine. Plus you could probably make a sliding window assy in it for just a little air.

I'll try to find a copy and send it to you.

I asked cubcrafters to install a full length left window. They said they would not do it.they said the support bar between the small front left window and the rear sliding ones could not be removed without serious modification. I have the standard left fold up one now. Even that gives the rear guy a serious windblast. so I am not sure about the whole window conversion anymore. I know cubcrafters used to install this left full flip up window. I'd give Stan a call and ask. The fold up is much better than the standard type IMHO, because there is more visibility enough room for a shooter and no more lost windows.

JimC said:
S2D, I'd love to get a copy of that, if you still have it at hand.
Thanks,
JimC

Jim
Send me a PM with your email and I'll try to get you a copy.
Brian

BayneHorne_01_resize1.jpg

Mine is not to windy, I like it alot better than the old rusted out track one I had.

windows

We've put a couple one peice widows in. It takes a little time and works very well. They need to get a field approval. Contact me pm in about a week, we will be gone for awhile, and I could get you some more info.

I've had the left side window two different ways, well,.. three actually. Stock, FULL windows that slide, and the swing-up.

The swing-out window does have some advantages...

Another options is to make the left side "sliding" window full lenght of the frame. Do away w/ the front "fixed" portion, you'll have 2 sliding pieces that mess together in the middle like stock, front portion shapes to a point, but opens a LOT wider than stock. Wish I was better w/ a computer & picutre posting.

One of my freinds, buddy new a guy that used Ford pick-up window channel for the plexi-glass to slide in. Apparently, this is nicely made stainless frame material w/ the black fuzzy on the inside for the window to slide in.
After re-framing the window, the glass now slides fully open towards the back, or fully open towards the front. Such a big opening a guy could crawl though, or stick something out when flying. Reports that I hear, is that this system works very well. Apparently it looks very close to "stock" and only the most trained eye will ever notice this mod.....I think a field approval might be in order though.

> I asked cubcrafters to install a full length left window. They said they would not do it.they said the support bar between the small front left window and the rear sliding ones could not be removed without serious modification. <

That piece is non-structural, and many cubs don't have it, for example, 1946 J-3's with sliding left windows. In those J-3's that do have it, it can be easily removed with a dremel too, thereby making them identical with the ones that don't have it. However, I recommend checking with the FSDO before removing it.

JimC

Does anyone know who makes the full length swing up left hand window for the cubs? Is it manufactured by someone for this mod or possibly a stock part from a different model of Piper? I purchased a cub with the mod and it doesn't fit really well. It looks like a purpose-built part just like the right side, but someone cut off the bottom and welded on a piece of angle iron. The mod was done with just a logbook entry so I don't have any paperwork on it.

Thanks
Dan

I asked about a full window on this thread. Ended up with a partial window for shooting ( photos of course).

shooter window.jpg

Attachments

• shooter window.jpg
    shooter window.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 98
Does anyone know who makes the full length swing up left hand window for the cubs? Is it manufactured by someone for this mod or possibly a stock part from a different model of Piper? I purchased a cub with the mod and it doesn't fit really well. It looks like a purpose-built part just like the right side, but someone cut off the bottom and welded on a piece of angle iron. The mod was done with just a logbook entry so I don't have any paperwork on it.

I don't know of any STC for the left side shooter window. Looking back at old posts it was done by field approval. It should not be a big deal to make for a shop that does rebuilds/major repairs but for best fit I would bring the plane to the shop. All the shops I know that could do it are already booked out a year or more.
DENNY

Well worth doing. An egress alternative and way simpler than a LH door. Hangar maintenance is easier, too.

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 116
I am going to ask why not build a swing down left hand window. When it's not latched closed it will stay open without struts or latches and be more out of the way. I like the way Pawnee doors work.

I have a full swing up window on the left side of my pa12 that has been field approved/signed off, pretty cool to have that on the left and a seaplane door on the right have both on a gas strut.

On my RANS, I went with a half flip up window, it's for my benefit not any passengers. Plus, unlike when I flip up the entire door (which you can do in the S-7, both doors or one) the opening is still small enough to not hoover the entire cabin out into the slipstream (think any movie where an airliner get's depressurized), a couple of lost jackets taught me that lesson. I also used piano hinge, so if I choose to I can easily pull the pin and stash the (flat) window in the hangar or baggage area.

Back