• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Instruments

My understanding is if you install say a carb temp gauge in an A/C that didn't come from the factory (or is it not on the TCDS) you don't have to use a TSO'd one. Cuby might can shed some light on this.

When I did my SODA check ride the inspector that made sure my airplane was safe for flight said my oil pressure gauge wasn't TSO'd. I asked him if they had TSO's in 1949. We flew the airplane.

idscub said:
Do the instruments in a PA18 have to be TSOd?

...where wise men fear to tread...

You need to take this one up with your local FSDO "Sparky" (Avionics Inspector)...

I hate to say it, but this is a subject that definitely is interpreted differently by different FSDOs...

The answer to the question that I hear the most is... If the instrument has the part number listed in the IPM, it's OK... If the instrument smells like, tastes like, looks like and is TSOd, it's OK... If the instrument is field approved as a replacement, it's OK...

Caution, don't take this information to the bank!... As I said before, contact your local FSDO "Wireworm"...

Statement Of Demonstration Of Ability. I have useful vision in one eye so I had to fly with the man. Friend who has one eye and is color blind had to go to OK City for his.

diggler said:
Does the fact that PA18s are certified pre Part 23 make a difference. Have TSOs been around along time? nanook? crash? dave? cuby? md?

When were TSO's first introduced?

Throughout the 1930s, and 1940s the United States experienced a rapid growth in the aviation industry. There were 30,000 airplanes in operation in 1946 and over 100,000 planes were forecasted to be in operation by 1950. This rapid rate of expansion placed an extensive burden in the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) ability to perform the needed inspections. As a result, extensive delays and high opportunity costs were often experienced to the industry. As a response to these problems, the CAA instituted two innovative systems; the Designee System and the Technical Standard Orders System. Both systems were based on the idea of decentralization of authority and delegation of responsibility to the manufacturer. (2) The CAA Administrator, Mr. Theodore P. Wright, saw the designee system as only a step toward the ultimate goal of making the manufacturers accountable for the safety of their products. At the 1946 Regional Administrators' Conference, Mr. Wright proposed the certification of qualified aircraft manufacturers.
(3) This proposal lead to the instituting of Technical Standard Orders (TSO's) in 1947. (4) This meant that the CAA would no longer certificate parts simpler than airplanes, engines and propellers. The soundness of all other components, including instruments, would now be insured by the manufacturer's guarantee that these met the performance requirements established by the appropriate TSO's. The institution of TSO's eliminated the need to hire as many additional inspectors and it further expanded the decentralization of authority at the CAA.

http://av-info.faa.gov/tso/Histry/hist96.htm

Back