• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What are the recommended Spark Plugs...?

Southern Cub

Gainesville, Ga.
Greeting all!

My PA-18-160 is outfitted with an O-320 B2B. Which is the proper Champion Spark Plug for this engine? I use only 100LL.

Much obliged!

Spark Plugs

Per the Lyc. parts book, looks like Champion REM-40E or AC S-88 are called out for the -B2B
Mikey

Spark Plugs

Thanks Mikey. That's what Lycoming told me too.
Appreciate your efforts.
Good flying!
Mike

If you don't/can't lean agressively to keep those 40E's from lead fowling on 100LL you can also use the REM37BY's.

Cheers,
Wayne

Thanks Wayne.

The Lycoming chart indicates three different Champion plugs; REM 40E, 38E, and 37BY. From other e-mails and posts the 38E is not mentioned.

The O-320 B2B was installed in 1989 when we used her to patrol powerlines in North Georgia. The average mission was about 3 hours long at maybe 75% throttle+-, unless we were in the mountains where the power varied quite a bit in both extremes. We used the 40Es all of this time.

In 1995 we terminated the powerline contract, then rebuilt her from the ground up, including a major on the engine. Now she's strictly for pleasure and an occasional photo mission.

Last week I rotated the plugs and found 7 - 40Es and one 1 -38E. I figure the odd one (40E) had been dropped and the 38E was the only one available to replace it. I plan to install a complete new set and thought I would get some other opinions.

Do you (or anyone else) have any experience with the 38Es?

I suspect either one of the 3 different plugs listed would be suitable, but I like to learn the experiences from other.

Appreciate it, and good flying!

Mike

Picked a fresh engine up from an overhauler once with 5 - 40E's and 3 -38E's in it! Asked what was up and was told that they only had 5 - 40E's left in stock and figured it would run better with 8 plugs... stating both the 40E's and 38E's were "acceptable heat range" for the engine. I made them all 40E's before shipping the engine to the customer, but probably didn't need to!
Wayne

irishfield said:
Picked a fresh engine up from an overhauler once with 5 - 40E's and 3 -38E's in it! Asked what was up and was told that they only had 5 - 40E's left in stock and figured it would run better with 8 plugs... stating both the 40E's and 38E's were "acceptable heat range" for the engine. I made them all 40E's before shipping the engine to the customer, but probably didn't need to!
Wayne

The Champion rep. has suggested mixing plugs in an engine to closer match cylinders and plug heat range (like matching injector nozzles to cylinders)... He also has suggested running the BY plugs only in the lower position to preclude fouling... I don't know how legal this is...

Back