• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bent wing struts?

B

bearsnack

I have a set of PA-18 wing struts that are being repainted in the hangar, if we sight down end to end we see a bow about 16 inches from the top fitting on both back struts. One front strut barely shows this. One of the back struts is very noticable. Has anyone seen this before? Is it a manufacture thing? I don't like it but I don't want to throw out a good strut.

I've noticed on different Cub where the right main strut will have a slight bow about 1 to 2 feet above the att. point. I assume this is from people getting in and out and grabbing the strut. In a nice way, I tell people to stay the fuck off the struts when getting in or out :wink:

Rear Struts

Afew years back we had a big wind at Birchwood and had about six Super Cubs fold their wings down from taking the wind from the rear. All of the rear struts floded at 21-23 inches from the top rear attach fitting. In most cases the rear strut folded upward, the wing twisted horizonal and then on some it collapsed the front strut. The bent struts you mention may have seen some high winds from the rear at some point. Crash

I remember that wind storm. Sounds like a good theory, Crash. I will measure where it is and check the direction of the bow.

Bends/bows at the bottom end many times are caused by trying to get a plane "unstuck" (mud) or "unstick" frozen skis. Bend there . . . . done that $$$$$$$

Back