• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tube & fabric school?

tripleoption

KOSH
Greetings friends.
I'm a young kid (24) considering adding the A&P license to my name, to match the PP-ASEL. As pure luck would have it, my employer would pay for the training as part of my benefit deal. I dream of a life in Alaska, where ragwings seem to flourish, and as such, I want to learn the art of fabric maintenance and repair. Is this something I can find in a school, or rather in books or from my elders in the hangar?

Gotta say, this looks like my new favorite site.
Thanks, and happy flying!

tripleoption said:
Greetings friends.
I'm a young kid (24) considering adding the A&P license to my name, to match the PP-ASEL. As pure luck would have it, my employer would pay for the training as part of my benefit deal. I dream of a life in Alaska, where ragwings seem to flourish, and as such, I want to learn the art of fabric maintenance and repair. Is this something I can find in a school, or rather in books or from my elders in the hangar?

Gotta say, this looks like my new favorite site.
Thanks, and happy flying!

Hands-on fabric work isn't in the Part 147 A&P school's required curriculum anymore, all they have to do is read about and discuss it... Kinda like studying about dinosaurs... Sad...

If your that siked be at Sun n Fun and catch all the relative subjects at the work shop forums this april, buy a tig welder and practive everyday, catch Clyde Smith's dope and fabric seminars- there going on all over the place and before you know it you'll be an ace tube and fabric man. Oh forgot one thing, go buy a supercub basket case for you boss and rebuild it for him cause there is no substitute for hands on experience.

Join your local EAA chapter (should be easy in Wisconsin). Volunteer your time and there are lots of folks who would be happy to pass on their skills, just like somebody else did for them.

94SUPER18 said:
catch Clyde Smith's dope and fabric seminars- there going on all over the place and before you know it you'll be an ace tube and fabric man.

How do you find out about when and where he puts on seminars?

Thanks.

David

I always said -"learn by doing". There's a lot of projects going together all over the country. If you're really interested, spent time at all the airports in your area, hanger flying, breakfast's, etc. You'll find out where the projects are. Spend the time hanging out and showing interest, and as said before, volunteer (sp) your time. "Anything I can do to help?" works pretty good. And if you're genuinly interested, it will be recognized (sp).
Nothing works better than genuine (sp) interest and energy.
Wilbur

Clyde Smith's Fabric Seminars would be the best "school" for tube and fabric knowledge. Clyde lists them in Cub Clues, the Cub Club newsletter. The ones remaining this year are December 5-7 and 12-14 at Lock Haven, PA.
Contact Clyde at 570-748-7975.

Wow. Thanks everyone. I'm on it.
By the way, I flew to Sun 'n' Fun in '98, and I was a bit disappointed. Oshkosh is three times the show. I'll be hitting those forums and workshops this year. Time to actually make a plan...now that I have an idea of where to start.
Thanks again!

Hey Triple,

You might consider flying into 8D1 (New Holstein) instead of OSH this year. Lots of old sages around with good advice, or at least, advice.

You can shuttle over to OSH, and still come back for a quiet rambunctious evening of hangar flying and comfy camping.

sj

Steve, no plane as of yet...can I drive in? Also, after browsing the EAA Chapters in WI, is it a better choice to get involved with a so-called 'Vintage' group? -18's, -14's, Beavers are all considered vintage, right?
Thanks.
Joe

Milwaukee, generally speaking. Oak Creek to be exact, just below the glideslope of 1L at Mitchell Intl. You work nights too? :morning:

(I'm assuming you Cub folks know what a glideslope is :lol: )

Hmmm. Glideslope. Is that one of those hills a hang glider runs down to take off?

I'm in an A&P school in Ohio. It's not in the curriculum, but our instructor still has us put together a section of wing (Ribs, leading & trailing edges, fabric, dope...). He grades the work, then takes a hammer and a screwdriver to it and says "Fix it."
:bad-words:

Bad experience, good training...

Eddy Current said:
Hmmm. Glideslope. Is that one of those hills a hang glider runs down to take off?

I'm in an A&P school in Ohio. It's not in the curriculum, but our instructor still has us put together a section of wing (Ribs, leading & trailing edges, fabric, dope...). He grades the work, then takes a hammer and a screwdriver to it and says "Fix it."
:bad-words:

Bad experience, good training...

Sounds like you have a good instructor...

Back