• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ditching a taildragger

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
Anybody ditched a super cub or similar before and what was the blow by blow experience?

First one was a J-3, was up too late with a kitty, giving her a ride at 5:30a, noticed it wasn't pulling good, scanned and saw oil pressure was laying on the peg. Cub's are the easiest to go in with being slow, put it in a bean field as smooth as a strip. Second was a Waco UPF-7 that shed 10" of a 103" Curtis Reed. If you've ever had a PTO shaft come off a manure spreader, you know what it felt like. Like the dog's tail wagging the dog.
Knew right off that nothing shakes that long without coming apart. Shut it down in the process of pulling straight up to get it to stop turning. Shed the cowl, bent the motor mount and crank. Third of July, 7' corn, got slow over wires going for the only hayfield and stalled over the wires. Stick back, put the left gear through the lower left wing. I was so mad I think I kicked the dirt bare in a 10' circle where I got out.
Thank god for this spell check on friday night.
Wilbur

Dang Wibur, you should write a book!

Jeff, you are talking about WATER ditching I suspect, I hope not to obtain any experience there.

sj

Flew into a tree one time, but I guess thats called "treeing" not "ditching?"

What do they when you ditch it in the dirt? Education I hope. Drinking coffee now.
T.J., Bought a J-3 one time that guy used for airshows, and part of his act was to fly close to the trees to look like he would hit them...he did, bent the right wing b ack about 2', rear spar crossover tube was bent narrower by about 4". Flew it home, but it only went about 50 indicated.
Wilbur
Sorry about the off topic.

Hi folks --
I actually did have to put a SuperCub in the water once. And it was not much fun. I was giving instruction so was in the back seat and about 100 ft. over the trees and a small lake, on take off, the engine started to miss real bad and then quit entirely. Things happened pretty fast since we were at such a low altitude -- but of course tried to do a quick fuel/mixture/carb heat check --- but primarily concentrated on simply flying the airplane.

The guy I was giving instruction to was a high time pilot with lots of experience but this was his 3rd take off in an Cub. He kept flying and I kept talking him through it and he did a superb job, with very little options.

As we went down we tried to head toward a small piece of tundra next to the lake, but as we flared to land, the engine sputtered again a couple times, which shoved us out over the lake; and then it quit again entirely.

We continued to glide as close to shore as we could, slowed the plane down as much as we could and immediately before hitting the water, pulled on full flaps and full aft stick. Both of us remember the tail hitting slightly first, and then the main gear hitting the water.

As soon as the main gear hit the water, the plane immediately flipped over --- very very quickly. The front window broke out, and both of us got the full smash of water coming into the plane --- of course the front seat person getting most of it.

The plane stayed partially submerged but on the surface just long enough for us to both get out and then sank fairly quickly. Getting out was a bit difficult being upside down and in the water -- everything is backwards and all reference points are in the wrong place. It was actually easier for me to open the door cause the back seat person reaches forward -- so I opened the door, got myself out, and then turned around and helped pull the pilot out.

It was a scary situation, that I hope I never go through again. After years of Alaska bush flying I have had a number of interesting things, but this was not one to repeat.

Things that I learned and would emphasize:
1. FLY THE AIRPLANE -- All the way to the ground (or water)
2. FLY THE AIRPLANE
3. It is amazing how quickly something 1500 lbs., and over 20 ft. long can turn over -- it happens in an instant.
4. Make sure you can get out of your airplane blindfolded. And if you ever get a chance to get some emergency egress training -- do it. I have done it since, and wish I had done it before. (especially if you do float flying)
5. In an emergency egress situation, probably the only survival gear you will have is what you are wearing. Luckily it was summer, and we were near town, and rescued right away. If we had been away from town, we could have been in trouble -- all of our survival gear sank 60 ft. into the lake with the plane.
6. I would suggest some type of helmet for all off airport work. Both of us got thrashed and bumped about quite a bit. No major injuries but lots of sore stuff. I also do a lot of helicopter work and we always wear helmets, but now I do in the cub also. (you might not look quite as "bush cool" but it keeps radio knobs out of your forehead.)
7. Things happen fast, so you better be ready
8. And I know I already said it, but the most important is -- fly the airplane-- all the way to the ground. I have had a number of interesting Alaska experiences, and in my job have seen many, many airplane crashes -- and the worst ones are always cause the pilot forgot to fly the plane.

As far as damage to the plane during the crash the only major damage was cowling dents and the front windshield. The left struts were crushed by the airbags when it was floated to the surface, which caused the left wing to rotate toward the rear -- so the left flap punched through the left rear D window. When we were hitting the water we really concentrated on staying straight so it did not cartwheel -- so there was very little damage. More damage occured during the recovery then the crash.

I hope this helps -- stay safe
Mark

see picture in the gallery showing N82555 in the drink. Moral of the story is fly the plane till it ain't no more, in control and most likely you will survive. Airplane destroyed, no one even scratched, faith and believe in Creator much stronger! Many lessons learned that day and many friends contributed to the successful recovery of the plane from the creek.

Details another time.

Tim

It's not "what if"; it's "when"

Agreed with all of the above. Flying the airplane until you can fly no more is absolutely key. Cubs can really go slow and that is a good thing when you are going down. We blew a muffler baffle going out of a lake and went down in a swamp and walked away without a scratch from a bent bird. My butt got wet so we'll call it a ditch.....

As for the rest of the story just type what I did on my summer vacation in the google search section (thanks, steve, the search works great) for my post on that......

I understand that there is a great egress school in BC, and I'd love to attend one of their courses.

I'm not trying to hijack this post, but here's a scenario I've thought of while flying in the Big Horn mountians of Wyoming:

You're crossing mountianous, pine tree-covered terrain, with or without snow and your engine quits. Unfortunately either you don't have enough altitude to make a 180 back to the valley, or the range is simply too wide.......it ends up that the place you're going for is a tree-covered hill.

Do you

(A) Land upslope, using the uphill terrain to help you slow down, and thus possibly making it more survivable?

OR

(B) Land running downhill because your rate of descent is slower going downhill than uphill?

God save us all from such a scenario, but I'm curious as to what you far all would do. I would choose A using the logic that if the wind is calm and there is a slope to a runway it's best to land uphill and take off downhill. However, my buddy that I was discussing this with brought up B, which he prefers.

Cheers, Kate

Kate,
Assuming there are no obstacles that would make one obvious over the other, and the up slope is reasonable, you'll hit the ground much slower landing uphill than trying to land downhill. Downhill, as the ground falls away and you're trying to flare, you'll end up with a low altitude stall. Neither is a bargain, but I'd prefer a slow speed crash. In every day flying, I know guys that land uphill quite often. I don't know anyone that intentionally lands downhill.
SB

I would encourage anyone to "safely" try to judge a flare to landing on a down hill? You will be amazed how difficult it is to get the proper perspective of the angle of attack by visual reference, and subsequent increase in Ground speed. Even with a Tail wind I would always (if possible make my landing (not crash) up hill.

Different story if you in a situation (as I was faced with) where your only options were either Upstream into a rocky stream or downsteam? Downstream will definetly lessen the impact with the water as you are traveling in the same direction as the water (I don't do math) but I have seen what halppens to the crash dumby when you hit the wall or vehicle coming at you!!

Again, best to "make a decision and stick with it" PRAY IF YOU BELIEVE and make the best of a bad situation.

Tim

A good friend lost an engine below the magic altitude just after takeoff in a 150 hp Skyhawk. He had three choices: slightly left, slightly right or straight ahead. He went right and put it in some high overgrowth, destroying the airplane in the process.

I asked him why he went right, noting that the terrain to the left and straight ahead was a little less rugged and would have caused much less damage to the airplane.

His response made perfect sense. The wind was from the right at about 12 knots. Thus, his landing speed into the overgrowth was 12 knots slower in terms of groundspeed, saving him from harm.

So, fly the airplane. Land/crash into the wind if possible. We're taught upslope is preferable around here. If you ever have an opportunity to land on a downslope--even into the wind--you'll be amazed at how that dumb ground keeps dropping away as your hanging there feeling for the ground with the tailwheel...

There are a lot of "right" ways to dump it, some of them situationally dependent, etc. Tim has the best point--make the decision and follow through. A lot of NTSB reports have language that goes like this: "pilot attempted to x, but then did y, and the aircraft went z" (a bad thing).

Non-related note: "Yellsback" is a very funny e moniker. Kudos to that.

I'm assuming that with this discussion of ditching supercubs in the water, that we for the most part do not feel that it is unnecessarily dangerous (contrary to myths/ what used to be the prevailing thought) to overfly water with single engine aircraft. Is this a correct inference to draw?

I also remember that Schiff article from a while ago... pretty interesting stuff. Also if I remember correctly the one day course in emergency egress wasn't too expensive around $250 might be a nice investment if that's a situation that might present itself... an ounce of prevention.

I lost a lot of respect for Schiff after reading an article he wrote about landing taildraggers. He spent too much time in 747s I think.

sj

Wilbur - you're killing me: "If you've ever had a PTO shaft come off a manure spreader, you know what it felt like"
Wow! Now that's a specific experience! I almost want to go find out what a manure spreader with a PTO shaft off of it runs like. If only I had somewhere to spread manure....
Steve- Do you have any links to Barry "i know more than you" schiff's taildragger article. I would be interested to see what a master of all things such as himself has to say about taildraggers. BTW- I don't think it had anything to do with him flying 747's. :D It hasn't affected me at all :lol:
:morning:

rrb said:
I'm assuming that with this discussion of ditching supercubs in the water, that we for the most part do not feel that it is unnecessarily dangerous (contrary to myths/ what used to be the prevailing thought) to overfly water with single engine aircraft. Is this a correct inference to draw?

From my limited perspective, I'd have to say it depends on the water. I don't fly over local salt water without lots of altitude not because I'm afraid of the ditching, but because you'll freeze to death inside of half an hour if you can't make the shore. Even if you do make the shore, cold is the biggest hazard.

-->Aaron

jrussell said:
Non-related note: "Yellsback" is a very funny e moniker. Kudos to that.

Some people think that I chose it because I talked back to my parents when I was a kid - not so! "Yellsback" is the Crow Indian translation for "echo" which I thought was kind of cool.

Cheers, Kate

"Don't try this at home, kids!" Would like to hear from those "reckless" duster pilots who make a habit of washing their airplanes using the hydroplaning technique. I've seen it done many times but never had the nerve to try it (my own bird).

The techique goes like this: Find calm (glassy) water and attempt a normal wheel landing but keep enough power on to maintain flying speed after you touch down. Apparently, the tires will continue to hydroplane even if you push the stick slightly forward.

The questions are:

1. Is it better to land on TOP of the water and hydroplane until the speed bleeds off and the airplane settles INTO the water rather than HIT the water with ANY rate of descent?

2. Will the water support part of the a/c weight and offload the wings enough to make slower flight possible?

Of course, if there's no glassy water around, then it's all academic. I suppose this is just one of those mental gymnastic things. Still, would like to hear from the dusters on this.

8)

S.F.
Nick

steve said:
I lost a lot of respect for Schiff after reading an article he wrote about landing taildraggers. He spent too much time in 747s I think.

sj

Where can I read this article Steve so I can understand what you mean?

It was in AOPA over the last year when they were building that Waco...

Don't remember the month... sorry.

sj

I took some training in the Dempster Dumpster. That is like the contraption in Berry Schiff article and it is interesting how disoriented one can get when he flips over even in a controlled enviroment. If it had not been for the frog men I probably would still be there trying to get out of that seat belt. Now when I fly floats I instruct my passenger to close his eyes and reach for the critical things like the door handle and the seat belts. I even do it my self several times. I think it will help if I ever end up on my back.
There was a article in AOPA sever years ago that talked about training GIs that were caught inside the cargo area of a transport plane or big choper to help get orientated and eventually get out. apparently we have lost several GIs to drowning when the aircraft turns over in the water.

Two thoughts:

Landing uphill, gravity is in your favor (and your CG vector is into the slope)... Downhill it works against you (and your CG vector will tend to flip you over). Survival odds are probably better going UP.

How well a Cub will hydroplane (and the slowest speed) depends on the tire size and how much weight you can keep the wings lifting. You can get very slow with big tires.... then I reckon slamming the tail down would give a drag chute effect that might let the aircraft settle into the water without going over. Not going to experiment to prove my theory.... but I do have enough time with wet wheels to know somewhat how the aircraft might act.

If people get disoriented when they hit the water and there plane flips upside down, do you think it would be a good idea to open the door if you know your going to have to ditch the airplane. I think it would be easier to get out if the door is already open and you could get out quicker.

RobW56 said:
If people get disoriented when they hit the water and there plane flips upside down, do you think it would be a good idea to open the door if you know your going to have to ditch the airplane. I think it would be easier to get out if the door is already open and you could get out quicker.
Got one better in my UTVA 66's ! Pull the red knob !! Then the attached cable pulls the outside door pins out and the door falls off. Hope I never have to test in real life situation, but have done it many times on the ground to make sure they really work and that I'm strong enough to break the copper safety wire that keeps it from being done by accident.

Cheers,
Wayne

RobW56,

the Coast Guard does similar dunking training...FOR FREE once in a while, and they do recommend that you do open your door before you hit the water...partly because of the disorienting factor, partly due to possible deformation of the door frame in the ditching episode...It is quite possible that you would not be able to open the door at all. They recommend you jam something in the door to keep it open...not your foot though.

Bill

Rob,
I was always taught that if you had to make an emergency landing (crash), you should prepare for it by turning off the electrical, turning off the fuel, get your glasses off and sharp stuff out of your pockets, and unlatch/open the door, all before impact. If the airframe gets distorted, doors may not open.
SB

Ditching

Once you've been in the water . . . you look at "overflying" any water in a differnet light. I have not "washed" a cub . .but in 1969 I got to test the strenght and "float" of a Bellanca wood wing. I had several advantages over a Cub, or any other fixed gear. Low wing . . and ability to keep the gear up. In answer to keeping you door open. Some where in my private training I was told to keep the door a-jar . . . if you ever have to ditch. Amazingly . . I remembered it and did "crack it" on let down. I did learn that it can be better to be a lucky pilot . . than a good pilot. Some times luck can pull you out of tight spots and situations you aren't preparrred for. Like ditching off the coast of Columbia . . . . at night . . . in the rain. I did learn a few things . . that if you just flew through some tropical storms . . your altimiter will NOT read -0- at sea level . . to help you plan your decent & when to start flaring. Ours was showing over 300' and I could see we were just about the same height as the trees in the Jungle cove I was headed for. (Never got to the cove). Also learned that your landing lights are absorbed by the water until you are just a few feet over it. And that is where you want "lady luck" on your side. Because if you don't "plant it" on top of the swell . . .and instead fly into it . . you might as well hit a concrete wall. If you land down the swell . .the plane "digs" in at the bottom with a similiar affect.

Rather than get carried away in story telling . . . if lucky you can survive a ditching in the ocean . . at night . .in the rain. And if you don't hurt the Bellanca . . it will float all night. . . in the surf. It was also a good thing "lady luck" stayed around as it took a little while to get back to civilization. Where we "splashed" the map was white (meaning for basic reference only not charted).

I now say any landing I can walk away from . . .or swim away from . . .is a GOOD ONE!!! Stay Dry!!

Back