• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing Recovering Question

RMREBOB

GONE WEST
Arlington, Texas
Is there some easy way to locate the aileron cable exit points on the bottom of the wing after covering and painting is complete? It's difficult to find the right spot until you rig the cables and you can't rig the cables until you cut the holes. I'd sure hate to poke the holes in my new wing in the wrong place.

cable holes

REMEBOB
Back issues of Cub Clues from the Cub Club has a print with all the measurements. I used these when I rebiult mine & they are accurate. If some one here cant get you the print I will go thru my back issues & send it to you via Email or the old fassion mail, let me know !!

Measurements

Yes, the measurements are excellent. You will also find the square access panels very useful for reaching in and visualizing where the stuff goes. Finally, it is useful, though not definitive, is the fabric you took off and saved to check where the holes go....

If you don't have the print or the old fabric, go to another Cub and measure. It will be pretty close.

It's too late now...... but I'll pass along what I did before removing my wing fabric.

Take a marking pen and make measurements from reference points and draw arrows/lines on the fabric to mark all essential inspection holes, etc. Then, take a camera and take pictures of all of these areas and you will have your reference for your new wings. If any inspection holes need to be moved slightly... or you need to make small corrections to where cables penetrate, make those notes on the fabric with the marking pen and it will be very easy to get it right on the newly covered wings. Same goes for rudder cable points on the rear fuselage.

Wing fabric

How long does the fabric usually last on wings and fuselage in Alaska? Assuming outdoor parking.

Back