• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The free lunch

Gunnys Cub is a little heavy but so am I... and old, just like his data plate. The fuselage is chrome moly instead of mild steel,that has to be more dense, and heavier. It has all of the braces to hold it together ie. X brace, tail stuff, 2000# do dahs, float fittings, baggage floor, extended baggage, than half inch tube where Piper put aluminum stringers on the bird cage. We're heavy with all the stuff to make her go on amphibs ie both pumps, plumbing, wiring and actuator. Than she has the McCauley Club out front. Marks wing is a little heavier than the stock, but what the leading edge does for the aircraft performance is well worth the penalty. That my excuse for Daiseys weight problem. I on the other hand like to eat... and would like to buy lunch for the person who can beat Gunny over the 50' obstacle at YKM.mb

MB your post has the tone of a babbling hobo reminiscing with himself of the glory days. Who you talkin to?

He is challenging you to take your buddies Super Cub up to WA state and beat Gunnies (in some peoples minds) overweight SC over a 50' obstacle. If that is overweight with all that stuff the L18C I fly is way obese. 960 lbs with C90-12, lt. wt battery and starter, two 18 gallon wing tanks, underseat storage, saftey cables and 8:50s. I think I'm going to stick with the left wing tank, no electric on mine. I have a -12 but can add all those eminities at a later date. Supposedly left the factory at around 800 lbs. Anybuddy got any weights on a 90 hp SC?

Steve Pierce said:
He is challenging you to take your buddies Super Cub up to WA state and beat Gunnies (in some peoples minds) overweight SC over a 50' obstacle. If that is overweight with all that stuff the L18C I fly is way obese. 960 lbs with C90-12, lt. wt battery and starter, two 18 gallon wing tanks, underseat storage, saftey cables and 8:50s. I think I'm going to stick with the left wing tank, no electric on mine. I have a -12 but can add all those eminities at a later date. Supposedly left the factory at around 800 lbs. Anybuddy got any weights on a 90 hp SC?

Yep, should rename this "the babbling hobo" thread...

Well I'm not going to fly all the way out there just to get a free lunch, but if you ever get to Montana with that lead sled, maybe you can buy me one here!! :p

Gunny said:
Mike,

You "babble" all you want.

For all you other "friendly" supercub.org types - yeah thats you Agent Smith and Cuby - Mike B is the A&P IA that built me one great SC. He was trying to post to continue the discussion on the weight of my rebuilt SC. Apparently it got posted here instead of under the "Wing Selection for Rebuild" thread. This explanation should help all you hot shot city types understand what us "hobos" is chattering about. I dead certain that none of you have ever made a single error in your entire lives so please try to forgive us "hobos" if we are worthy of forgiveness.

And, oh yeah.......did Mommy forget to teach you manners? Nice way to greet someone at supercub.org. there Agent Smith. You know, I could have said that your hobo post (Smith/TripSlip38) sounded like a smart axx young punk know it all post but I didn't do that now did I. If I was Mike after yours and Cuby's gracious welcome I wonder if I'd even consider posting here again.

Actually, my "smart axx" remark didn't have anything to do with Mike and was directed at my buddy Steve...

Good post Mike, regardless of where you put it. Keep em coming. The more input from you rebuilders, the better.

Ok, everybody take a deep breath and relax. Frequently on this site, humor is misconstrued as abuse, and vice versa, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Gunny, I am about the "uncoolest" person on earth (cub wize anyway), so if you leave, I'll have to go with you.

Mike, welcome to the site, thanks for your post, and don't let this thread discourage you!

sj

Mike's Post

I dealt with Mike Butterfield when he was at Cub Crafters and can vouch that he is a good guy. Welcome to the site Mike and best wishes now that you're apparently out on your own. Crash

Ok, everybody take a deep breath and relax. Frequently on this site, humor is misconstrued as abuse, and vice versa, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Dangit Steve, I just finished boxing up a half dozen pups, now I gota unpack em. :x

Hang in there Mike, and keep telling yourself "there's gota be a pony in here somewhere" :lol:

Wow...that was incredible, like the scene in True Romance where all the mob guys and cops shoot each other...bullets whizzing across the room. I was just joshin ya Butterfield. I could listen to Super Cub babble all day.

And Gunny: Yes I am a smart a$$ young city punk. At least I am now. But I was raised in the backwoods just like ya'll polite types. Now that I am a cool, city elite hacker type, I find joy in ribbing with older flyboy geezers on the internet who share my passion for aviation. One of the things I appreciate about geezers is their great sense of humor. Mike would have enjoyed no less elbow had he wandered out of his tent and up to the campfire at a fly-in and unleashed his contextless spew. :D

Oh, and Gunny: That is a beautiful cub! Any more pics in the gallery?

Come back Mike!

In addition to being a good wrench, Mike's a good instructor, too. He gave me my tailwheel endorsement, and taught me a lot of practical things that came in handy during my flight to AK in 2002. One of them was how to make the best use of the runway and taxiway configuration when landing in strong crosswinds: coming in to Edmonton City Centre the winds were 20, gusting to 30, and 40 degrees off the runway heading. Applying Mike's teachings, I flew my final nearly directly into the wind, aiming right at the intersection of two runways and a taxiway. The intersection created several hundred feet of useable asphalt. The wind was so strong that when I touched down I had a very short landing roll and needed to use power to continue rolling straight ahead onto the taxiway.

Hey Guys,
More wars have been started over misscommunications than from transgressions. We all have the same intrests here and we are independant thinkers (as most pilot types are). It is far better to listen closley,then comment, than to be heard loudly and and backpaddle. I better shut up because I'm sounding like a Democrat and that scares me. Peace to all!!! Rick

whew!

Sorry to cause a comotion, and thanks for putting up with a fat old guy. In the past Jim from CC and I have been allowed onto the runway as a flight, for a shoot out. We try to do it at high noon on Wednesday, and the winner gets the free lunch. Jim will tell you that he has never had to buy... but he might have to this time. We have invited the Husky guys, the Moutain Goat, and anyone flying a STOL type plane, but till now it has been just he and I. First off and to fifty feet gets the first catagory. We climb to two hundred feet and at the end of the runway go down wind in slow flight, and the fast guy has to land first. We do it three times and the best two out of three gets the free lunch. I know it all sounds silly, but we laugh alot, and a good time is had by all. Coffee pot is always on, ya'll come.mb

Oh, Well

Mike,

I don't think you are the one that has to apologize for anything. I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on where the weight was added on Gunny's cub. Also, I wanted to thank you for spending an hour of your time on the telephone a couple of weeks ago talking about the slotted wing. Spoke with Gunny last week and it sounds like "Daisy" is a great flying cub. Keep us posted on next Wednesday's shootout with Richmond.

You guys get down here, I will buy the lunch.

Later, Roger

Old Geezers

Old Geezers!, Old Geezers!! Trip Slip if I can get up out of this chair and find my walker, I'm gonna come over there and kick the wooster out of you. :lol: Young whipper snappers. Crash

That ribbon setup is sweet. I wish they had one set up like that during my flight training for the shorts and obstacle clearance lessons. Looks like fun practice.

Z

Welcome Mike! I can vouch for Mikes talent, I also know that he knows how to fly, I also know that with enough horsepower you can get off in that Yakima heat!

I am surprised them Tower boys will still let you and Jim play like in the good ol days, I hope to get up soon and play too.

Darn all that ribbing and I missed it! See it isn't just me and Diggler??

Darn Crash, you must have had a heck of a week at the Shop to have that much piss in vinegar!! Got that hotrod cub flying yet!!

Steve Pierce, Time you make a trek out west and skip that Sun and fun zoo, (what ya think??)

We could have a heck of a party this summer??

Tim

Had to go back last year after the 2002 mishap. The thing about S&F is I get to spend a week with my folks, whom I don't get to spend much time with these day with a back drop of awesome airplanes. Lots of fond memories over the past 12 years, well except for my stay at Lakeland Regional Medical Center anyway.

I do want to get back West. I really enjoyed the flying I did up there on the way back from Vancouver.

THE TOWER

Hi Tim! Most of the time I call the guys in the tower short people in a tall building with a bad attitude, but our guys are very special. They do put up with a lot, and I'm probably the only pilot on the field who has their number on speed dial. Not only do they allow two planes as a flight to shoot it out, but we have a figure 8 pattern where we take of on 27 climb to 50 or 100 feet, turn downind and land on 4, take off, turn downwind and land on 27, and so on, never getting any higher than that. In one hour you can build up an incredible number of touch and goes. Last year we cut 27 and 4 to the width of the crossing runways, and cut the pattern alltitude to 20 feet. What a kick in the butt. They like nothing more than to have 2 or 3 planes doing the same thing, cause they stand up there and conduct with the arm motions and everything and rack up the operations. The ribbon idea looks real cool, and we do have an abandoned runway where we used to pick up and drop the banner that would be perfect. Mr Examiner is from the Tri-Cities and says that he has never seen that kind of flying allowed in class D. Any one out there as blessed as we are here at YKM? Y'all come.mb

Back