• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bummer!! Help -- I'm too big!?

I just got my first chance to see a cub today...a J-3. Problem is, I'm 6'5" tall, and I didn't even come CLOSE to being able to fit in it. I also tried to sit in an Aeronca (champ? Not sure...it was supposedly not the biggest Aeronca)...I was way too tall for that one too...my kneecaps banged against the bottom of the instrument panel and I couldn't even get my legs under it to hit the pedals. So now I am totally bummed out. I wanted to get a tandem stick plane, but I can't afford a sherpa...so what am I gonna do? The guy showing me the planes mentioned a Cessna T-somethingorother. Am I doomed to a spam can?

Newbie,

You'd probably manage a PA-12 ok, and they run cheaper than -18's anyway. For the room you're provided, a guy couldn't ask for better performance than a PA-12 with a big engine and flaps. I miss the room in my 12, especially in the winter when all garbed up in Carharrts and pack boots.

Andy

I agree with Andy on the 12. My dad is 6'3" and has no trouble with ours. Also, I have flown a 14 with adjustable seat tracks, and those slid way back, even farther than you would need at 6'5". Good luck,

Bill

Did you try to fit in the front seat or the back seat of the J3? There is absolutely no room in the front for anyone, but the back has quite a bit of room.

Newbie,

I'm 6' 4" with a 34" inseam. It makes a different where you legs end and your torso starts. My 53' supercub has seats that were made for parachute wearers, so they are 3" or 4" lower than standard seats.

If you want to get in one, you can find a way... 8)

sj

S2D - I only got one leg into the front seat, then I quickly retreated from the attempt...you know that sense you get when you're about to do something really dumb? I had it...I could practically see the firetrucks pulling up with their jaws of life to extract my goofy carcass...one slip and I'd have fallen in and never gotten out, I think. I sort of tried to get into the back seat, but I didn't get much further with it either...I got more of my one leg, half of my butt, my head, and maybe half of one shoulder in...then I just abandoned it...same feeling of "don't do this, you moron". I'm not especially "wide-bodied"... 230 lbs...just long in the britches. I'm going to have to find me a 12 to check out like ya'll are saying...thanks for that advice, I don't know much about this stuff yet. By the way, if anyone is looking for a 100-hp J-3, drop me a line...the one I saw is for sale. The guy doesn't have a transponder, so he can't fly it in the Wash D.C. adiz. I don't have any idea what kind of condition it's in.

The plane is at Davis airport (W50) in Laytonsville, Md. I don't know how much is being asked for it, but the guy who would know is named Frank. He runs the FBO there...his number is (301) 253-2897.

My flight instructor is 6'6" tall. It was a bit of a challenge for him to enter my old PA-12, but once in, with the PA-18 seat slid back to the last notch he could be reasonably comfortable.
In the back seat he would lay his feet over the top of the rudder pedals.
I'm hoping the Crosswinds cargo doors will make it easier for him to get in and out.
He must have liked it okay though, he now has a PA-12 with PA-18 seat of his own. A guy I work with is more like 6'4", and when he rebuilt his PA-12 they custom fit the seat for him. Now no one shorter can fly it, and the back control stick can't be used!

I'm 6' 4" and over 250 with a 38"' inseam and I can get into and fly my PA-18 without too much trouble. The owner of the cub tied down next to me is 6' 6" and he also flies his with no problem.

A couple of things that will help the long legged. First, try to keep the panel fairly stock (i.e. the deeper it is with more stuff the harder it will be to get your knees under it). Second, pull some of the padding out of the seat. The lower you sit (as SJ pointed out) the more leg room you have.

I also modified my seat (w/ a field approval) to allow it to slide back approx. 3 inches. The rear seat stick was bent (under the same FA) to allow it to be used. Last month I got a biannual and the CFI (who is about 6' 3") had no problem with the back seat or the stick position.

Bummer help Im too big

Newbie, Dont panic, Im not really tall just 6' but Im long in the waist and what SJ says works, get lower in the seat, this is what I did in my friends PA-18 95 Im also wide but Dr. Atkins has helped that part and I have been renting a Franklin powered J-3 and flyng in the back seat. I have been building a cub experimental and used a J-3 style frame for the front seat but moved back and 3 inches lower than original. You can find a way to fit .

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me a clue here. I went back, took a deep breath, and managed to get into the back seat of the J-3...it actually wasn't that bad. Problem is, now I want to buy it! :lol: Is there anybody around the DC/VA/MD area who would be willing to sell me their appraisal/inspection services?

Newbie,

Now go sit in a supercub and you will be in hog heaven!

sj

Back