• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

911 Brake problems

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
All

It was bound to happen. All the numbers added up to 911 and a wise sage who posts often to these hallowed halls prophesied dark skies ahead.

Here is the story sports fans. The brake lever is held on to the brake master cyl by a bolt that goes through a mounting tab at the top of the master cyl--through the brake lever---down through a second tab on the master cyl----then a nut. It looks like a door hinge. Well, over the years I guess the nut fell off and the bolt worked itself up so that it no longer went through the bottom mounting tab. Now the lever was held on by the bolt in the top tab only. This puts an asymmetrical load on the tab and it broke off. Fortunately no ground loop, didn't run into anything, no prop strike etc. But the brake master cyl has to be replaced, can't be fixed, and that will cost about 350-400 dollars.

Recommendation-- Check that your nuts have not fallen off!! Now that you've done that, go out to your plane and check that the bolt and nut assembly on your brake master cyl is intact. This will apply to all heal brake Cubs and is easy to do. You should be able to see it, no disassembly required. If you can't see it you should be able to feel for it, just make sure you have a nut on the bottom of that bolt.

Might save you some money.

Bill

Bill

You should be able to just buy the Bracket that the Pedal mounts to for about $107 and reuse the rest of the parts. Contact me @ FThera@aol.com and let me know what side you need. I may have a used one in excess of my needs.

Frank

I looked at a few to check this morning, and I think? that originally the bolt is threaded into the lower tab, so there would be no nut. The tab is easily stripped though, and when it strips, the nut is added. Not a bad idea to install a slightly longer bolt with a jam nut on the bottom to prevent in from turning loose. Don't get to carried away tightening that bolt, or you may crack the tabs.

The bracket is 107.85, and the complete units are 527.60 left and 497.60 right, (Wag catalog). I think I would just replace the bracket, throw in a new diaphragm and maybe a spring if it is weak, and it should be good as new.

I'm not supersticious, but the 911 was really weird, glad you guys were flying it...

Back