• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Performance

idscub

nw usa
I was looking at some Super Cubs for sale and ran across this 180 cub. Looks like it has just about everymod available. 60 gal fuel, cargo pod, 180 engine, super ext baggage top and bottom, 31 tires, slotted wing. Question is how good does something like that fly?
180.jpg

In the 60's we had a saying 'If i didn't go - chrome it" Looks like a lot of chrome to me. (about $140,000 worth)

How would this cub compare to a stock 150 cub?

Jerry, your cub looks like a lead sled. How did it perform compared to the other cubs you went to AK with this summer?

New paint almost always looks good. The list of mods looks pretty good, I just can't get my head around $190K

I think I would rather go for less $ in a cub that might get bent.

Light weight in a cubs best friend.

idscub,
The answer to your question is this. Off the ground this plane would not have a noticable advantage over a stock Cub UNTIL you load it really heavy. Rate-of-climb, the 180hp wins every time. Back to earth, with the slots, probably a dead-heat. This appears to be a very nicely built plane, but I'd love to see the empty weight. It's gotta be a little high. Compare the mods with CC's 150K Cubs and the price isn't far off. If you're hauling fat hunters with luxury gear and big wallets, this is what they want to ride in.
SB

I would also check the paperwork on that one, those headlights off a Mack truck might not be STC'd...

I would want to know what it weighed...

sj

Steve,
Lots of Cub types have driving lights up here. They're much more effective than wing lights. I'm curious about the swing-up left side window. I don't remember ever seeing one before, at least not in the up position.
SB

The swing up left window is a pretty common conversion. I believe the coyote hunters came up with it originally, but there are quite a few around, and I do believe there's an stc out there somewhere for it.

Mike

I'm with you supercubber Own something that you can use not just to look at. A $190,000 cub has no business in an off airport enviroment but should be at airshows. Like i said before "If it wont go chrome it"
Your lead sled owner

Im with you guys if I was flush with money I would buy one cub on wheels and one cub on floats. I could get two very nice cubs for $190,000 and still have lots of cash left over for avgas.

If that cub would sell for $190,000 what increase in value should I expect to see in mine?

Cub_Driver

Here are some numbers with almost the same cub but no sloted wings:
empty wheigt 1270 lbs
take off good gravelbar 500MSL: 1550 lbs =120ft max
.............................................: 2000lbs =270ft max
landings same condition : 1550-2000lbs =210-270ft
climbe same condition : 1550 lbs =1500-1600ft/min
.............................................: 2000 lbs = 1100 ft/min
fuel consumtion 90mls/hr 5500MSL : 7.2-7.8 gls /hr
take off full power 500MSL: 16.5-16.8gls /hr

It's just a matter of perspective. Hey, if you can afford to buy a 190K Cub and drag it around in the mud and brush, then buy a 190K Cub and drag it around in the mud and brush. If you've got that much change laying around to buy what is basically a toy, you probably don't give a damn about the return on your investment. The rest of us are just jealous.

(I do remember seeing this Cub for a sale a long time ago, either no one is buying, or it is getting passed around.)

I believe it's a Denali Cub ?
(built by Bush Pilots as I'm told)
Your right Boz (market time)
Mark

yep I saw that one at Oshkosh he was selling fishing trips I think to Alaska lakeside lodge in Wasilla Ak

That looks like a nice cub. If someone were to give him 190K for it, maybe there's someone else out there that would buy my project for, say, 75k, and then I could be flying instead of rebuilding.

$190,000.00 cub

I looked at this cub at Oshkosh. I would buy a new Cubcrafters Cub, have someone totally rebuild a cub to order, or even buy a Husky, and still save money. It looked heavy. I think it may define the rule of deminishing returns. It has everything to make it fly slower, climb faster, fly faster, carry more, and fly further which are conflicting objectives.

$190k Cub

He's a little high on his price. I'm building up an idenical Cub to the one in the ad except for the slotted Dakota wings. I opted for new stock PA-18 Dakota Cub wings because they are almost 40 lbs lighter then the extended slotted wings, $2,000.00 less, and mixed reports on their ability to get you in or out better then stock wings. With me it was the extra weight that made up my mind. Weight is the death of performance on a Super Cub. Adding up all the parts, if purchased new, and you're up to $98K. There is not another $92K in labor to put one of these together. I think it would be a good deal at $150 to $160K. Crash

Supercubber said:
If you have money to throw around on something like that it is just time to move on...like a Bell 47 GB3 Turbo, Hiller 12E or Hughes 300C :usa

There was a Helio Stallion for sale on Ebay for about that price recently. If I had that kind of money that would be a kick. Watched one of those shooting touch and goes in Tulsa about 1980 and been dying to have one ever since.

[quote="S2D There was a Helio Stallion for sale on Ebay for about that price recently. If I had that kind of money that would be a kick. Watched one of those shooting touch and goes in Tulsa about 1980 and been dying to have one ever since.[/quote]

Who was selling a Helio Stallion? Those are pretty rare. And $190K, approx? THat does not sound too bad seeing as it has a PT6 out front. Man that would be a great plane for meeting women!

Bill

Yeah a Porter. There is an awesome plane. Too bad Iwasn't born back when Wein was flying them around up here. although i have been told the old piston powered ones were real dogs.

Bill

You won't touch a Helio Stallion for a $190K, since there only two flying in the world.......and if you find one it will be in the Phillipines or Thailand

give me a $190000 for mine and I'll deliver it to your door.

JK :drinking: Crown!!

Back