• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

engine analyzers

fbaitis

Does anyone have any preferences or experiences with installing and using a digital CHT/EGT/etc. analyzer. Best brand, where to route the wires, or anything that might have been a problem.

I did a LOT of research on this before I put one in my 170 and I went with the EI ( http://www.buy-ei.com/ ) I also put in their fuel flow system (on a separate display, not on the UGBE-6 I installed) and it has been incredibly accurate and useful in the 170, maybe less so in the SC, but for $600 a gadget you can hook up to your GPS to tell you EXACTLY if you are going to make the next waypoint is pretty handy.

Now, interestingly enough, I lean to the fuel consumption, not the bar graph, I use the bargraph for early problem detection. It adds a level of comfort, but as far as an important tool for leaning on a carbuerated engine, I am not sure it is necessary and would think twice about putting one on a trusty Lyc. I would by the fuel gadget again in a SNAP.

Aviation consumer did a comparison, and I used that and some other info to base my decision.

sj

Well, my experience, having used the EI, the GEM, and the JPI EDM 700, each for about four hundred hours, I really like the EDM 700 best.

I think a lot of the preferences one will develop with these things have to do with personal preferences, though.

The EDM is an absolute piece of work, and is very easy and intuitive to use.

Understand that any of these devices on a carbureted engine are a bit of overkill, since you'll never be able to really lean aggressively (at least not without risk of damage) due to the uneven fuel distribution associated with all carbureted engines.

In any case, my preference is the EDM 700, with fuel flow add on. Not cheap, but the best in the business, in my book.

Mike V

I don't have any experience using them, but I've just been installing an EI UBG-16. The EGT/CHT setup is easy (watch out for the EGT probe hole size if you buy the quick reacting probes, the new size is on an addendum page but not in the main instructions).

Installing the "functional modules" is a bit more confusing, partly because the instructions are separated from the main book, but with a bit of patience you can figure out where each of the little wires goes.

In a few weeks I'll let you know if it's easy to use.
KL

Analogue good too

If you want to spend about a third of what you'll spend for one of those fancy digital logging analyzers, and just want to watch EGT and CHT (1 or all 4), read on. I've been very happy with my KS Avionics Mixure Mizer II. The web site is not great, but gives you an idea:
http://www.ksavionics.com/products/94544-2295/catalog_mixturemizers_for_singleengine.asp

Mine has four EGT probes, and a single CHT. You can only monitor a single signal at a time (other models have additional display), but the analogue circuitry responds to changes nearly instantly, and with infinite variability (no bars, just a moving needle), showing the slightest change in either direction.

Of course, if you need a computer in your panel, you should probably get the EDM-700. I like to keep it simple (like my airplane).

This kind of set up lets you directly watch an amplified signal from the probe. It's much more informative not only because it's a moving needle, rather than a stack of bars, but also because the circuitry allows you to move the needle, and only watch the part of the range you're interested in, with greater resolution.

Speaking of the probes, KS Avionics is very proud of theirs. They write:
About KS Avionics Probes:
KS Avionics is known for top quality probes, and supplies probes to other avionics manufacturers as well.

I talked to the owner/engineer/founder at a show (it's a small company), and he told me they supply probes to JPI.

The device also has a good visible yellow blinky light to indicate shock cooling, or overheating.

I've had occasion to call KS Avionics to ask obnoxious questions, and they have handled me very well. The bezel ring that came with mine seemed to be missing, and while they insisted that they had shipped me one, they replaced it at no cost (they were right, after I got the replacement, I found the one lost tucked under the bottom flap of the box it came in, where it had slid in during shipment).

Anyhow, don't go digital for this on a simple four banger, use this less expensive analogue device and you'll be happy. (You weren't really planning on downloading all that logged data anyhow, were you?)

Oh yeah

BTW, one of the nice things about having four EGT probes is being able to tell right away which plug is fouled if you have a bad mag drop. That's at least as much reason for EGT as leaning, at least for me.

(It's always the bottom plug on #2.)

But if it's always #2 bottom plug, and you know it, what good is the fancy gauge?

On the original question of installation and wire routing, if you insist on having one of these things in a Super Cub, make sure the all the wires get routed through the left side of the firewall. That is the hinged side of the engine mount. If you put them anywhere else, you can't swing the engine without removing all the leads. If I have to swing the engine on a Super Cub that some moron has installed the leads on the right side or middle, I usually threaten to increase the slack in all those leads with a good sharp sidecutters. Also, never use those @#$&^ under spark plug leads, they are nothing but a pain in the ass. I understand that because they are attached to the spark plug, they usually give false temps anyway.

SuperCub MD said:
But if it's always #2 bottom plug, and you know it, what good is the fancy gauge?

Good point. If all I ever wanted to see was which cylinder had a fouled plug, then I suppose I could always start with #2 bottom... It is nice to be sure before you get started however.

Sometimes it's not what it always has been before, and more information is a good thing. At least for $500 it is, I'm not so sure about $2000.

Back