• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lost Data Plate

eviens

Eagle River AK.
Anyone have any ideas on a lost data plate
I took my PA12 in for an annual and the first thing the AI saw was the data plate was not the original one.
This has turned into a nightmare we tried getting one from the guy in British Columbia that bought the PA12 certificate from Piper but he turned us down. So now it looks like we might have to go the Experimental route. If any one has any ideas I sure would appreciate it.
Ernie

Find a good FAA guy that will work with you. The regs don't say that the Replacement Data Plate "Must" come from the manufacturer. If you can prove to him that it is the original aircraft and not someones copy, you should be able to get a replacement Data Plate made. Be sure the FAA guy has this in writing for your records. Try getting the FAA to issue you a letter approving this and then send it to the guy in BC.

lost data plate

Hi,
A few years back I rebuilt my cub, a J-3. At the inspection of the mod's
I had an A.I. and an FAA inspector present. The FAA person asked to
see the data plate and I gladly dug it out of the parts box. Guess what
it was not the original data. He was nice about it, it was news to me, and
offered to write a letter for me including the fuselage number so that I
could ask Piper for a replacment data plate. Pipers records matched
and they sent me a replacment data plate. Sometimes good things happen.
Dave.

I think you would have to deal with Piper on the data plate? They are the ones who built the thing, wether they want to admit it or not. You will probably need a conformity inspection from the Feds (not that big of deal really, if the plane and paperwork are clean), and a letter of conformity from them, and verify that the fuselage S/N matches the build records for the plane, and Piper should sell you a new plate.

How do you know your plate isn't original? Factory PA12 plates were not all that extravagant(sp).

Ernie..........I went through the procedures that Mark mentioned when I rebuilt my cub ( it had no data plate ). Pretty painless process by took a little time.

Thanks everyone for all great advice. I got a letter from the Feds stating the airplane appears to be the original airplane. We sent all the information to Vancouver and were turned down, so now we are trying to figure the best way to go. It looks like experimental might be the only way. What a shame for an airplane with perfect paper work and all original main parts.
Thanks Ernie

lost data plate

evians: try contacting piper (new piper) you need to get the airframe serial numbers off the floor pull sheet. piper will give you a new data plate if the numbers match and the feds certify that the numbers match. These are the numbers stamped on your tubing during manufacturing.

Going experimental will cost you more than you think. Devalue your aircraft etc. Get a Copy of the reg out about replacing the Data Plate - take it to your FAA guy and tell him to show you where in the regs it says a rep[lacement Data Plate Must come form the original Manufacturer. If your aircraft is the correct one with all the right papers, S/N's etc, and piper still wont issue you one, petition the feds to authorize you to replace it yourself. It can be done.

I agree. You will loose your ass going Experimental. Airplane won't be worth as much and your insurance will more than double.

Clyde Smith

Might try contacting Clyde Smith through Cub Club. PM me if you have anything better.
Mikey

The exact thing that Supercubber described happened to our cub before we got it. It was resolved, but it left the logs a mess!

Lance

Who maintains the archives on the PA12's that Piper sold, Piper or the current holder of the TC? My guess would be Piper. If the current holder got the archives when he bought the TC he probably has the responsibility to provide, on request for a fee, such things as a new data plate. The FAA can probably force the issue by refusing to permit the use of his airframes in the US or can get the Canadians to do something.

Contact Piper and ask about the issue. I'd be surprised if it wasn't covered in in the contract when they sold the TC.

Also, as someone else suggested, there might be another plane running around with the data plate in question on it. Try searching the databases by serial number. http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*59682555!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search/search_nnr-serial.html

What does the previous owner and/or the AI that signed it off prior to the AI you used have to say about all this.

Nothing in the regs say that the current or former Manufacturer has to be the one to issue a new Data Plate. If you have a letter from the FAA saying it is ok to replace the data plate due to lost or damaged plate, and neither the current or piper will issue you one, use the letter to replace it yourself.

Thanks Guys for all the help
I finally got my data plate for my PA12.
Believe it or not the FAA helped me do it.
Cub Parts was a waste of time they had one excuse after another,I think they just want to sell a new fuselage.I sure appreciate all of your ideas
it was a big help.
Thanks Ernie :D

I received the authorization from the FAA.to install the data plate it was a long process.The FAA went through the logbooks with a fine toothed comb matching every repair and modification with the logbook, inspected the aircraft to make sure it was airworthy and in compliance with all the
regs.After making sure the fusage was indeed a PA12 and all the repaies matched the logs fot the last 50 years they authorized a new data plate.
I Don't brag about the FAA alot but without them this time I would have been out of luck.They rally did go the extra mile to help.
Ernie.

I deal with lost or bogus data tags all the time. You have to write a letter to your FSDO requesting a new tag due to lost, missing or whatever tag. The Feds may come down to look the a/c and books over to verify the a/c. Then They contact Piper who will in turn send a new tag, at a cost to the FSDO and they will deliver it to you and watch you install it on your a/c. You will have a paperwork trail for the new tag. The tag is legal only if it comes from Piper.

I am working with the local FSDO right now on this for my 12. My airplane is disassembled so their is no baggage cover to secure the new plate to if that is what they decide. As far as I know the airplane and the log books match except that Cleveland brakes were installed with a logbook entry and no matching 337 shows on the CD I bought from the FAA with the airplane history. I got the final inspection info from Clyde Smith, the fuselage and both wing serial numbers match. The FSDO inspector is researching PA-12's and then I assume I will get an inspection. I will keep you posted on my troubles. Jim

cubunltd, I don't doubt that you know what your talking about, but could you tell me where in the regs it says that the data tag has to come from the manufacturer.

For a lost data tag I have to send Piper a letter on official FAA letterhead as to why the data tag is needed and all pertinent A/C data along with $350 for the replacement tag and $10 shipping. Contact Andy Helm, New Piper Aircraft at 772-567-4361 ext. 2125.

cubunltd said:
The tag is legal only if it comes from Piper.

Piper doesn't own the PA-12 any more! So if they say screw you!! what?? you got a pile of parts now??

Far 45 talks about data plates and tagged numbers on aircraft and all major items used on an aircraft. I have seen many overhaulers tags on items and have never seen where there is a requirement that the data plate be from the original manufacturer. I dont think CC gets their plates from Piper.

Back