• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

shorten flap handle

rebel cub

pascagoula, ms
hello everyone
i need help. does anyone remember where the discussion is about cutting off the flap handle. i did it and it works much better and is safer since the left aileron travel is not restricted by the knee. but, my ai is concerned about signing it off as a minor mod since it changes a flight control. i wanted to copy all the discussions for my records. thanks

I'm trying to come up with a good idea on how to shorten of the flap handle on my (experimental) SC. I'm a bit concerned that I wont get enough leverage. How much have you shortened yours? Have you modified it in any other way, i.e. the locking mechanism? I'd appreciate any input. I'd also be grateful for any pictures or drawings.

Thanks

Why not.....

Why not shorten the handle, and add a sliding sleeve to pacify the Feds, and provide additional leverage if you need it?

Mike

I don't mind the long flap handle. Here is a suggestion. If the handle is in the way for a crosswind landing????? Land on the opposite runway where it isn't a factor. DOH!

handle

If you want a short handle there is no problem with leverage. I've shortened a few
handles on exper. cubs and no one has had a problem with pulling the flaps, and
all of these cubs had over sized flaps. The average man can set in the seat and pull
up and bend the flap handle in a cub without much strain. I did these tests in a
pa14 with the feds. and that was the weak point[the handle]. I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs.
Thats not good but the way it is. I need the room. A nother thing that helps is to
rig the control stick about an inch to the right of center. Must also redo the stops ajustments on the control tube at the back. Wayne

Thanks everyone for great input. Diggler, what was it you didn't like about the shortened handle? If the long handle is not much of a problem for you, can I take it that you are not 6'4? :lol: I have considered the sliding sleeve idea but haven't been able to figure out how to fix the locking mechanism. Maybe it's over complicating the problem (or rather the solution).

Torch. In my view, crosswind is always going to be a factor. What if the crosswind is less than 90 degrees? How about turbulence and wind sher? I'd like to have full aileron authority in any landing, especially in windy conditions.

Hugo

Big guys with big legs need this mod to get full stick throw.

I have no problem with the leverage part of it.

My opinon is that the "sliding sleeve" for leverage is overkill and unneeded.

Nowadays, my problem is with getting the mod. field approved. It'd probably take an STC now, the way I interpret the regs.

SE-XRN said:
Thanks everyone for great input. Diggler, what was it you didn't like about the shortened handle? If the long handle is not much of a problem for you, can I take it that you are not 6'4? :lol: I have considered the sliding sleeve idea but haven't been able to figure out how to fix the locking mechanism. Maybe it's over complicating the problem (or rather the solution).

Torch. In my view, crosswind is always going to be a factor. What if the crosswind is less than 90 degrees? How about turbulence and wind sher? I'd like to have full aileron authority in any landing, especially in windy conditions.

Hugo

Hugo,

Well I land in places like this and I don't have a problem. With that being said, I DO NOT DO short off field landings in a crosswind. Not worth the risk. Guys that do that a bunch are going to or have wrecked their airplanes.

strip.jpg

Back