• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rubber Trim

Dale Strong

Wardner BC CANADA
Anyone got a good way to get the rubber trim to stay on around the root fairings and other fairings.I tryed contact cement but unless I'm doing it wrong I'm not having much luck.

What I've done is to first glue them with contact cement and then on the inside where it won't show, used a good quality (sticky) duct tape. Clean all surfaces first with thinner and press the duct tape on real well. That kept the rubber on for over two years. ...Clyde :D

I have luck with a good glue.....then put clothspins ( or little clamps) around the entire perimiter until it drys. The tape sounds like a great idea.

The trouble with most adhesives like 1300L is that they dry hard. The rubber stays flexable, moves around and breaks loose.

I put a small bead of clear 100% silicone on the inside of the fairing close to the edge and put the rubber channel on over the bead, working it along trying to get the channel over most of the bead, than pressing it down firm. It may take some tape to temporarily hold down some areas around corners. Let it dry overnight, fill any voids in the inside with more silicon if needed. Try not to get any on the outside at all, it's not nesessary. But if some does ooze around and come out, it's barely noticable because it is clear.

Installed this way, the silicone stays flexable, and will hold the rubber on forever.

I use 3M Black Weatherstripping adhesive. Glue it, put it together, pull it apart and let it dry, a little more adhesive and put together with clothes pins. Works good for me.

Back