• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing restrictions

Randy

FOUNDER
S.Dakota
I just heard this...and I'm hoping its just an erroneous rumor.
A pilot friend told me that in my state (SD)...the aeronautics commission just approved a ruling that ANY aircraft (EMS helicopters...hot air balloons, gliders, private aircraft, etc) that lands at any landing site other than an APPROVED REGISTERED AIRPORT could be subject to prosecution and up to a $10,000 fine. This ruling is supposedly something to do with "homeland security"
Anybody else hear anything like this happening in their state?
Is this a federal mandate just being followed by the states?
Seems unlikely...especially in a state such as South Dakota.
Randy

Sounds like a case of State infringment upon Federal jurisdiction--just like the state background checks that the AOPA is fighting around the country.

This brings me to a sidenote on this issue. I am a 50 hour Private pilot, and a student pilot friend asked me the other day what the FARs say regarding landing at other than FAA-registered airports. Out here in Nevada we have dry lakebeds-a-plentiful, so this is something important to know. What is the reg that addresses this? Personally, I say land first and answer questions later... Famous last words.

Thanks,

Zane

There are no FARs that prescribe that you land on an airport, much less a runway. Just 10 days ago, I landed a jet on a taxiway as the airport runway was closed.

What does exist is that famous FAR 91.13 regarding "Careless & Reckless" operation:

[size=18][/size]No person may operate an aircraft in a careless and reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

In other words, if you are flying solo in your Cub... and you fly into a tree you own, you have not broken the FARs.

Now, local law may prevail and you may be subject to fine, etc... but you haven't violated any FAA rules/regs. For instance, many states/counties do prohibit aircraft from landing on highways and roads. If done, you are cited and fined. This was often done to curtail the cropdusters from using roads and creating hazards, be they real or imaginary.

As for the state of South Dakota, if they prevail that just made my decision to retire in Wyoming rather than the Black Hills as planned. Don't kid yourself that they can't do it. The FAA could care less. Only hope to stop it, if true, is AOPA, EAA and an outcry from pilots in the state. I can't see any way they can make landing on private property illegal... but property they own/control is another matter.

Dayum Randy. If that was true in Alaska I would be broke.

Just about every other landing I make is off airport. Hold on.

strip.jpg

trout1.JPG

mtdeborah.jpg

Torch:
Are those Anderson Wooden skiis? How do you like them? I've got a set, but they are like trying to hold on to a greased pig when I'm on a sidehill.

Yea, here in Texas they just made it illegal to operate a motor vehicle in the river beds except in the Red River and one other. I don't know if this pertains the airplanes or not. We are checking on it. I think it was aimed at four wheelers but who knows. It is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Back