• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

learning to fly a cub during vacation

Psychonaut

Duesseldorf, Germany
Hi all,

I am quite new to the forum and just recently got my licence. Unfortunatly i was very busy in my job and did not have any time to fly since. I was planning to drive about 6.000 km through France and spain with my VW Bus and combine a little sightseeing with getting some flying experience. I found some FBO's with cubs in spain. But now my Bus broke down and repair will take a long time for several reasons !! :-(

Now that my plans for vacation and flying with my bus are gone i am thinking of a "real pilot vacation" as an alternative. I always dreamed of flying a super cub and getting some tailwheel experience. So what i am looking for is a place where i can learn to fly a cub (perhaps on floats?). I would prefer a remote place in the wilderness (but a little luxury or comfort would not bother me :), some kind of a lodge, a little house/cabin to rent or something the like. I am quite open to idea's, no matter where....USA, Canada, South Africa, and so forth.

So if anybody of you knows a nice place where a flying rookie from europe could spend a couple of weeks with a cub and some nice people and getting to see some nice wild nature i would apreciate any suggestions.

Besides that i have some questions regarding my vacation idea's.

1) Do you think that kind of Vacation ist too early for somebody who just got the licence?
I have only 40h with C152 and PA-28 and did not fly for 3-4 month.

2) I heard that since 9/11 the validation of german licences in the USA takes a long time and a lot of paperwork. I heard it could take longer than waiting for my bus repair! :) So this would leave the USA out of my considerations.

thanks in advance for any vacation ideas....

cu

Mirko "Psychonaut" Morschheuser

P.S. great board

Regarding getting an FAA ticket based on a JAA/JAR have a look at www.pprune.org look under forums/private flying. If you are going to have instruction for a rating then a particular visa is needed, but all the info is on PPRUNE. From what I understand you won't be able to rent a floatplane solo even after the rating. It's an insurance thing.
I did my Taildragger check out (J3 cub) with Tim Preston just North of Orlando, Floats with Jack Brown ( J3), Winter Haven (both Florida). I did my BFT with Chandler Flight Services, Chandler AZ in a PA18 150. All really nice people, couldn't be more helpfull. If you need Web sites etc, PM me.
There is of course Yoda sorry SJ, he of Supercub.org fame also star of stage and screen (well radio anyway). Has been known to instruct the ancient art of Taildragging.

Good Luck

Pete

rehi,

THX for the quick replies. But i just read that the verification of european licences takes the FAA about 60 days ! And i really would like to be on my holiday in 2 weeks from now........

cu
Mirko

Back