• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

question--no logs

flysurge

Hi guys. Im looking at a project with the intent of doing a total rebuild. The problem is , no log books. To myself, this is no big problem, as everything is going to be rebuilt or overhauled or replaced, but as my wife is so fond of pointing out, I'm not quite normal. How big of a deal would it be to you guys if you were looking at a rebuilt A/C with no logs???

Missing Logs

I had no log books on my project which I finished a couple of years ago. The AI that did my paperwork just created new logs with some appropiate notation on the first page (I don.t remeber the specifics) about the logs being lost. Your Mechanic should know how to do this.

You might want to check and make sure that your airplane isn't already flying around. Sometimes log books are sold and an airplane is built around them.
Lug

Lugs right, check to see if the data plate is with the project. If not you can bet they got sold as a package deal.

Latter. Scott.

If you send the FAA in Oklahoma City $5.00 along with the N number and serial number they will send you a CD with a record of every 337 issued for your aircraft as well as a list of all previous owners and copies of bills of sale. Its one of the better deals I've got from the government.

I think it depends on your definition of "total rebuild." If you use a new airframe, new engine, new gear, new tail feathers, new hardware, etc., nobody would care about the old logs except for amusing reading. If you repair an old airframe, rebuild an old motor, reuse pulleys and cables, old instruments, etc., missing logs will be a much bigger issue.
SB

All above is correct but also keep in mind that if there are any repairs or modifications found in the aircraft then a mechanic / IA will have to inspect and sign off on these with the same liability as having done them himself. Copies of the 337s are vital here. Other then that the logs are just history. Have seen many of these lost due to reposessions and prior owner gets even by "loosing" them.

Back