• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kneeboard

P

Plemmons

I am looking to purchase or fabricate a new (small) kneeboard. Does anyone have any suggestions or particulars they'd like to offer?

I have the small one from Sporty's that works just fine for me, although I don't often use the kneeboard in the cub (used it all the time in the Cherokee). I tied a pencil to it with a thin lanyard so it's always handy.

Anne.

What do you need a kneeboard for. Just stay under 100ft and no one will know you're there and you won't have to talk to anyone. :lol:

I would need a kneeboard when flying Husky's and some cubs, in order to protect my knees from the panel...

sj

Essential Equipment

...yeah, 100 to 300 feet is really Cub-ville. And you don't need much stuff (i.e. a kneeboard gets in the way). After much experience, I've assembled the following flight equipment list:

1. GPS III Pilot (easier to navigate at 100 feet with)
2. Baseball Cap with no top button
3. Favorite Headset/intercom
4. Sectional (keeps feds happy)
5. Pencil
6. Diet Pepsi or Coke
7. Pee Bag
8. Non-aerosol air horn
9. Assorted water balloons (put these in a plastic bag or else)

As to item #9, ever see friends fleeing a BBQ on a lazy summer evening? Quite a sight, really...

Do not, however, fly near wacky people with spud guns. They won't hit you but they sure will make you dive for the deck....

Where do you get the non-aerosol air horn?

I usually carry a radio shack megaphone that plays about 200 tunes. I like to fly over farms and play the college fight song for the state I am in - I haven't been shot at yet.

sj

Essential Hijinks Equipment and Other Useful Stuff

SJ et. al.

1. Air Horns, Non-Aerosol: www.hamiltonmarine.com (1.800.639.2715). Falcon Sports Horn (ozone safe) 7.99 usd product number 113883, refills 4.59 usd product number 113884.

They also sell xenon hand survival strobes for 19.99 usd product number 100692, as well a variety of very nicely priced pull-to-inflate life vests for float flying, a mini epirb (at 139.00 usd!! product number 151615) and a lot of other great stuff with very practical applications for big time (Alaska) and wee (Maine) bush pilots.

2. Texas: grew up with a Texan (explains a lot), like to visit Texas, think Texas is really cool, listen to Lyle Lovett, etc. Problem: born in Maine. Have to travel under a disguise as my great-great Grandfather fought with Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in that great recent unpleasantness between the North and South.

3. Avocados. See "Flight of Passage" Rinker Buck (Hyperion, 1997). You are not a member of the true believers until you read this book.

4. MP3/CD discman. Very lightweight and useful for listening to, amongst other things, Jimmy Buffet, whilst airborne. Plugs right into the intercom.

Well, off to check out those megaphones at radio shack...

Back