• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 checklist

Fernando

Hi all !

I'm looking for SuperCub checklist (pre-flight, emergency, etc...), does anybody could give that data ?

thanks in advance

Fernando Fuganti

Here you go Fernando.

BEFORE STARTING ENGINE

1. Adjust and lock seat and fasten seat belt
2. Fuel Selector on fullest tank
3. Brakes - test

STARTING ENGINE

1. Mixture - Rich
2. Carburetor heat - Cold
3. Primer - as required
4. Throttle Open 1/8 to 1/4 inches
5. Master Switch - "ON"
6. All radio switches "OFF"
7. Ignition Switch "BOTH"
8. Propeller Area - Check clear
9. Brakes - Hold
10. Engage Starter

BEFORE TAKE OFF

1. Flight Controls - check
2. Instruments - check
3. Gas - recheck fuel selector on fullest tank
4. Altimeter - Set for field elevation

Run up

1. Throttle Setting - 1500 RPM
2. Check each magneto. Maximum drop in RPM - 150
3. Carburetor heat - Check operation
4. Generator - check for charging
5. Trim Tab - Set
6. Interior - Door latched, seat belts fastened,
and everything tied down
7. Radio - as desired
8. Pattern, Check for traffic, and make SURE everything is CLEAR

murph

This is also a great checklist

This is a PA-12 checklist....but one that I'm gonna remember.
Thanks Tim.:)
Randy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Right on! Brings Back memories! Nothing like the smell of a little oil, avgas, and fabric. Just the peace that comes as you let the engine warm up and all those little parts inside warming up together! You look to the left, check the eilerons, pull the flap handle, (heh)already dreaming of that final approach to where no one has ever landed before!, pull back on the stick and look back (Free from the ground)(free to truly move around). Alittle push on the left heel brake and then the left (a little mental reminder that "we don't use them lest we have to"! Glance back at the panel and the cylinder temp is coming up, the oil temp is off the peg, the oil pressure is steady at about 80, we set the altimeter to the field, (check the tack time against the fuel (log)"lest this become a glider". check the fuel selector one more time, take that final cinch on the lap and shoulder harness, pushing forward against them (what a blessed assurance that those tubes in the windscreen are just out of reach! Without a word said, it's like the cub has awakened and is now talking to you, "I'M READY, ARE YOU?"
As for me the last thing on my check list is:
Good Morning Jesus! Thank you for this day, it is indeed beautiful, thank you for this flight, protect me, guide me, and keep my family safe while I am up there with you, You are awesome! and so is my cub that you have blessed me with! THANKS FOR BEING MY LORD--AMEN."

checklist

:howdy check out esscoaircraft.com They have multi page laminated checklists and there are several for supercubs depending on HP and for the newer ones year of mfg. :D :D I'm happy with mine. Ted

I made my in microsoft excel, printed it, and had it laminated at Office Depot for $3.

I encourage my students to make their own checklists for any airplane they fly - even if it has one. That way they become VERY familiar with the items on it.

I still like the simple checklist placarded on the panel of a bi-plane at the Greenfield Iowa museum:
"Don't do anything stupid"

sj

I have 2 items on my check list;;;
"Maintain thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee!" and "Back on the stick ain't always UP."

Here?s the little jingle that I use just before I take the active runway. It?s not complete, but I always figured that it would give me my best chance to make a successful take off.

Mind you, this is just before I take the active, and after I?ve done my preflight and run-up.

Before every takeoff I say this:

?Are you the one that?s both excited and ready to swing, lean, clean, and green??

What that means to me is this:

?Are you the one?:
You only get to pick ?one? fuel tank on a Cub, are you on the fullest one?

?That?s both?:
Are the mags on both?

?Excited?:
Did you remember to turn the darn alternator on? Is the charging system electrically ?excited?.

?And ready??this is probably the most important one:
Where?s your head?...just get in a fight with the accountant?...hung over?...wife just issue you a new course in life??got your charts, freqs, etc ready? You?re about to go flying, to defy gravity!?where?s your head?, are you ready?

?To swing?:
Do the controls ?swing?, and in the correct direction? Look again.

?Lean?:
Got the mixture set for best lean for the airport elevation?

?Clean?:
Sorry, this one is a bit of a stretch, but it comes from the old Cessna days when the planes that I learned to fly in had to take off with the flaps up, or in the ?clean? position. Now it reminds me to add one notch of flaps.

And lastly??Green?:
One more glance at the gauges to ensure that the oil pressure/temp, vacuum, tach at run-up, etc, (the engine gauges) are in the ?green? and ready to go.

?Are you the one that?s both excited and ready to swing, lean, clean and green??

I realize that this doesn?t exactly address the point of your question, but it works for me.

CIGARS has always worked for me...

Controls
Instruments
Gas
Altimeter
Runup
Sky

Dang, I can't spell!!...

Runup (Mags, Carb. Ht., Mixture, etc.)...

Fernando said:
Hi all !

I'm looking for SuperCub checklist (pre-flight, emergency, etc...), does anybody could give that data ?

thanks in advance

Fernando Fuganti
Call piper in vero beach and get youself a copy of the late model owners manual,it has rigging info,checklist, just about any info your going to need operating a cub

Cavy posted above that "you can only run one fuel tank on the cub, so pick the full one."

Is that the case for all Cubs? I've been running with both tanks on in my PA-12.

Marc 'still a dumb newbie' O.

I'm with Cuby on this one: "Cigar Tip" has kept me out of trouble for decades in all kinds of planes. No matter what I'm flying I always mentally run through it before takeoff or landing.

Controls
Instruments
Gas
Altimeter
Runup

Just before takeoff: TIP

Trim
Interior (make sure everything secured)
Propeller (full forward -- or watch limits and rmp for full power on fixed)

Landing: GUMP

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop

Wow - that's a great place to get Supercub information! Thanks!

In the specs, it says the Flight Manual crosswind landing limit is 12 mph, or 10.4 kts. Not much. Is this what you folks have found too?

Anne.

I shy away from anything greater than around 30kts direct in the cub, and 20kts direct is all I am comfortable with in the C170 - even though the "plane" can handle more, the pilot can't.

A friend of mine just flew a Ford Trimotor back from CA to MN (took 30 hours) he said the X-wind component on that big beast was 13mph. They quit when the wind was gusting 50kts...

sj

Yes, I have done at or slightly above 30 direct about 5 times and while the last part of rollout is not pretty, it can be done - with practice. Even though the 170 is supposed to be able to handle scads of x-wind, I am not comfortable at the same level as the cub, which I have over 500 hours in. Here is KC, and even more so in Texas (I discovered) if you don't like a lot of wind, you better not fly.

When I say 30, I should say "gusting 30" as the wind here is never steady at 30 unless there is a tornado. I had the privelege of sampling steady 28kts while on the Texas Cavalcade, and while it is harder than steady 10, I think it is easier than gusting 28...

sj

Anne, the flight manual actually says maximum Demonstrated crosswind,
I believe this is what was shown upon certification, not necasarily a limitation. And I'm with Steve on the gusting past about 25 kts....when you have one wing wayyy low to stop the drift and the gust quits it gets really exiting! But I think the ferguson droop tips on my cub might exagerate that ? Rob

Know your personal limitations,

I used to fly Supercubs towing gliders, we routinely flew to 20-25 KTS Steady gusting 30-35, we would shut down the flights much over that as none of us were comfortable over that.

Best thing to do is if you are not comfortable with the conditions, STAY ON THE GROUND... AND WISH YOU WERE IN THE AIR!!!!!

HAPPY CROSSWINDS....

DAVID.

Marc Olson said:
Cavy posted above that "you can only run one fuel tank on the cub, so pick the full one."

Is that the case for all Cubs? I've been running with both tanks on in my PA-12.

I have both a cub and a cruiser and if your fuel systems are original and haven't been modified - the cub is either or and the cruiser is left tank on and right tank on or off. Read your owners manual if you have one.
Email me and i will email you a scan of my original.

Pre-start is pretty self-explanatory and if you miss stuff out, like switching on the mags, it just doesn't start. Then I do the run-up and then for the pre-takeoff I do a left to right cockpit check and touch and name all the knobs, saying out loud what they're supposed to be doing. From memory it goes something like this:

Carb heat cold
Mags on both
Trim set
Flaps 25 (usually)
Mixture rich (or appropriate)
Instruments appropriate
Gauges green
Primer in and locked
Controls full and free
Hatches and harness secure

David

CIGARS has always worked for me...

Controls
Instruments
Gas
Altimeter
Runup
Sky

I use the same, except the “A” is airplane trim, not altimeter. Altimeter should have been part of the “I” Instruments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, IF your Super Cub has a stock fuel system, you should always take off and land on the left tank only.....It's the only one with a forward pickup.

Takeoff on the fullest tank is applicable ONLY if your airplane has a modified fuel system.

MTV

I agree with flagold and dga. CIGAR TIPS. Learned it in 1962 from an old hand - a Southern Airways pilot.

The FAA seems to require checklists at multiple specified points so I added some for checkrides:

Preflight - fluids, airframe, paperwork. The student must have a written version of that in hand during walk around.

Before start - Beacon, passenger briefing.

After start - oil pressure.

After takeoff - RPM check. (i really like this one - catches carb heat; makes student aware of power deterioration)

Etc - simple, on a piece of paper stuck to the panel or wing root.

My philosophy - long complicated checklists either get ignored or read and responded to without looking. I get a kick out of flying in Cirrus with that really long, involved stuff. Once airborne, no more checklists! None!

If you cannot start an engine without reading about mags, ignition, and starter button (engage?) then you have no business flying airplanes.

Opinion, of course.

My philosophy - long complicated checklists either get ignored or read and responded to without looking.

….

and starter button (engage?)

That reminds me of the aspirin bottle label I looked at last night: "Do not use if inner seal is broken or damaged."

Well, I broke the seal two weeks ago and took a couple. What do I do now, throw it all away?

Too many instructions defeat common sense.

I used to jumpseat a lot. Our jet checklists were simple and to the point. I got on one 767 belonging to another airline and listened to the before start checklist. I swear they were reciting things like "hat - onboard. Tie clasp - mid - tie."

Seriously, they checked everything via checklist - seat position, windows - it went on forever. They were just reading to each other, not looking at anything in particular. Our 757 checklists covered important stuff - paperwork, fuel, - but were about a quarter as long.

We figured if you forgot to turn on your lights you could take off in the dark.

Our Airbus checklists were even shorter - three things after start, one thing on taxi, and that was it. We never read checklists as we taxied on to an active runway.

Back