• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sea Fins PA12/14

PA14driver

Port Alberni, B.C.
I have drawings to install Sea Fins on my PA14. One is attached to each stabilizer. They are used in conjunction with the PA18 tail feathers. The original EDO Float installation had called for a dorsal fin, and I believe the intent of the Sea Fins was to replace the dorsal fin, as they had a habit of being "dock knockers".

Anybody have any comments, as to whether these are a good thing or not?

PA14DRIVER

Seafin

I flew my PA14 for two years on floats with Roger Borer's "Rudder Centering Device" which is an a STC. Avoids the two stabilizer fins or the fin under the rudder. Much cleaner installation. Basically just two centering springs on short cables from each side of the rudder horns forward to the lifting handles on the lower longerons.

I have a pa-12 with the pa-18 tail on edo 2000's. Ive been using thee dorsal fin and find it a real pain in the butt first of all because it's a dock bumper and it drags in the water on take off. I would bee intyerested in anything that replaces it . l.p.

Bill Jackson is a very good friend of mine , his float base is just down the road from my bodyshop. l.p.

Are you guys talking about dorsal fins or ventral fins? As I'm sure you know, the word 'dorsal' means 'on the top' and the word 'ventral' means 'on the bottom'. I can see why ventral fins would be dock-whackers, but have trouble seeing how dorsal fins would do so unless the docks have an unusal configuration.
All the best,
JimC

My mistake Jim, I was talking about the ventral fin and calling it a dorsal fin but it is till a pain in the butt. I would like to replace it with something that works better. l.p.

Fin

Most of the guys here in Alaska don't run any fins on PA-18, 12's or 14's when on Edo 2000's. I have a PA-14 on Baumann 2100's and the STC dosn't call for a fin. I see these a lot on Canadian planes with fins so it must be your version of FAA requiring it for some reason. Crash

That might be a goood idea Crash but I can't see Ttransport Canada allowing the mod without an stc. l.p.

sea fins

I purchased my PA-14 in Canada. The owner still had the ventral fin and offered it to me but I left it behind. It was not required on his plane in Canada because he had Roger Borer's Rudder Centering Device installed with Roger's STC. Saves weight, parts, and things to run into etc. It also works fine. A PA-14 does not need additional tail area. Shares the same basic tail profile as a PA-18 although it is a different part number.
Robert

Back