• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

oil from the breather

M1

FRIEND
Vancouver BC Canada
I am getting oil on the side of my PA18-150 that is mostly coming from the small hole that is in the breather tube. The small hole that is about 6" from the end of the breather pipe, that is supposed to keep the breather open even if the end gets frozen shut.

Does anybody have a good way to get the oil to go out the end of the breather instead of the hole?

T.J. Hinkle said:
3. Check with your mech. on this one. Cut the tube off 2-3 inches inside of the cowling. Ty-wrap a baby bottle over the end of the tube. On preflight, if the bottle is getting full, empty it.
Good Luck.

T.J...

Do you have a picture of this setup?... I'm trying to figure the bottle attachment and I'm assuming that the hose just terminates in the topless bottle?...

Thanx...

T.J. Hinkle said:
Cuby. no pics:
Tip, remove the bottle before an Annual Inspection. Your IA will probably have a heart attack when he sees a BABY BOTTLE secured to the firewall! Unless of course the Bottle is FAA PMA or STCed.

No problemo T.J., I is the IA, besides, my Cuby is home-grown, so I don't need no stinkin' approval...

I appreciate the idea, I'm getting kinda tired of wiping "Cub Blood" off the belly and landing gear...

My J5 has an interesting mod to keep the breather tube from freezing and to help keep oil off the plane. The tube was rerouted so it comes out along the exhaust pipe and hangs about 1 1/2" to 2" below the end of the exhaust. It has a stainless hose clamp securing it to he exhaust. I can't tell how good it works but the guy I bought the plane from said it was to keep the vent tube from freezing and keep oil off the plane. By looking at it, the idea looks good. I haven't flown it yet but the "belly" is clean.

Alan

Alan said:
My J5 has an interesting mod to keep the breather tube from freezing and to help keep oil off the plane. The tube was rerouted so it comes out along the exhaust pipe and hangs about 1 1/2" to 2" below the end of the exhaust. It has a stainless hose clamp securing it to he exhaust. I can't tell how good it works but the guy I bought the plane from said it was to keep the vent tube from freezing and keep oil off the plane. By looking at it, the idea looks good. I haven't flown it yet but the "belly" is clean.

Alan

Sounds good in theory, but I wonder if you had serious blow-by if you would have a torch...

Interesting point.....Being as I am going to pull the engine and recover it this spring before I fly it, I think I will put it back where it belongs. See, even an old person like me can learn....thanks....

Alan

Home builders have been dumping the crankcase vent in the ehaust for years. Especially on the Long-EZ cause all the blow-by ends up on the prop. I have moved the end of the crankcase vent tube as little as an inch and quit pissing oil out. I think it gets in a low pressure area and gets sucked out. opinions only.

My 150 uses about 1 liter every 5 to 6 hours, this seems to be fairly normal.

I tried modifying the hole in the back of the breather line, seems to be much better now. I just used a round tapered punch and bent the area around the hole as was suggested in one of the response posts. After about 1 hour of flying, very little oil had come out of the hole.

Back