• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

31" Bushwheels - INSTALLED

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
:howdy

All I can say is YIPEE YEEEE HAWWW!!!!

I have just returned from playing on the new 31" radial bushwheels and let me say again, YEEEE HAAAAAWWW!

Ok, I will try to contain myself, but (YEEE HAWW!) I cannot guarnatee it and there may be an occaisional outburst...

These things land so soft and nice on ANY surface, even the concrete in downtown KC.

The guy in the tower says to me on take-off, "Where did you get those GIANT tires?" I said... "YEEEE HAWWWWW!"

bw2.jpg

One Goodyear, One Bushwheel

bw1.jpg

My Friend Terry Takes her around the Patch

bw3.jpg

Bushwheel Sunset Over the Wide Missouri

sj :howdy

Steve

Congratulations on your new Bushwheels! After I installed mine I noticed my tail came up much faster then it use to, but I had also reduced the pitch of my prop about the same time. I was wondering if you noticed any difference in takoff with the taller tires? I like my 31" tires although I had planned to buy 29" tires, bushwheel was out of stock so we cut a deal on the 31" tires. I can tell you I was shocked the day they rolled out of the fedex van I could not believe they where so much bigger it was the first pair I had seen I didn't think 2" would be that much bigger! One thing is for sure those huge sidewalls can suck up some ruff stuff (my poor tail wheel) I do believe they are a little overkill but if I where to buy another set of tires I would get the 31" bushwheels after all size matters.

Cub_Driver

Cub Driver,

I would say the tail SHOT up in comparison, and the plane rolls SO EASY now, it is almost unbelivable. My grunting and groaning to push it into the hangar is now a job done with one hand.

I am headed out this morning to play some more and will report back...

sj

Steve!

At aboy! Now you know what we've been trying to tell you about the difference between them ther goodyear tyres and the "real thing". Any questions??

You also now know what it means to be "kind to your airplane". Soft is nice, bigger is better (no gutter thoughts)

Enjoy! But you can get a yee ha at home too!

Tim

PS: no excuse not to come to Alaska now Steve??

Steve,

Well Congratulations. :drinking: Your SCub looks normal now--I guess for me a Cub w/ little eensy weensy baby tires just looks and feels unnatural, funny how the guy in the tower is accostomed to the opposite.
You notice any directional stability difference on the ground? How about loss in performance with the smaller engine?
Appearance is a given, I have to agree a Cub w/ 31s is just plain sexy.
Andy

You guys don't really think there was a guy from Maine do you?? :)

I knew it! I knew it! it was rigged! I want a recount!! Audit! audit!

Remember SJ: is the computer guru!!

Tim

Fortunately, the guy from Maine (Greg Richard) has promised to take pictures and send them along as evidence. Also, I can show you the smoking hole in my wallet if you like...

On another note, we have been making lots of concrete landings on them and they are holding up great so far!

sj

Ok, you grovel well SJ!! Actually I personally talked (by e-mail to Greg and he is looking forward to mounting up his new prize when winter is over in Maine- He even as a (fellow brother of all Supercubers) offered to show me his fine state when the Misses and I visit Maine this Oct, celebrating our 25th Anniversary! :angel:

Still negotiating with the Finance director for a new set for my cub (safety item for the trip to Alaska) wish me luck!

Tim

I'm going to ask a question and I don't want anyone taking this wrong. I know they're hidden costs, etc, and I know one has to make a profit. I have no idea what's involved in making a tire. Sooooooooo, here's the question. Why are those 31 inch tires so expensive?? $3700?? WOW, that's alot for a couple tires. Again, I'm just asking why, I'm not belittling the company at all. I'm just curious what makes them cost so much. Would love to have a set.
Brian

Business aquisition costs, operating costs, utilities, payroll, taxes, administration, insurance, bad debt allowance, contingencies.....oh yah, profit.....and you can sell how many tires a year? We're lucky they aren't more!
SB

SB, I would imagine that your last comment probably has the most influence on price. The ole "Supply and Demand" Maybe if we could get some of those Husky drivers to buy some, the price would come down.
Brian

Well said SB,..... the tire takes aprox 40 + man hours to go from a flat slab of rubber to a finished tire. Remember these tires are 100% hand laid up , that means all the parts are cut by hand and placed in their spot by well trained (6 month training) people, and also remember the price has not gone up in almost 3 years with all the STC's and R&D with the Radial tires and the list goes on and on, one of our goals is to lower the price but every time we turn arround the rubber prices go up so bare with us . All are welcome to come to Bush Wheel Central and see the plant and see a little bit of what makes a Bush Wheel ( blind folded that is :roll: ) hope that explanes a little thanks!!!

Wup

I've bought 11x24.5 Michelin truck tires for $350. There's enough rubber and wire in them to make 5 little thin Bush tires. Must be another reason for the high cost.

Tim

AHA! Is this another chance for me to say, TAIL WHEEL!

I figure If I come up with the bucks to convert the 29 inch to 31 inch (why did you sell me the 29 inch anyway?) there should be a compatible tail wheel thrown in .

Frankly, I'd pay for a good one.

Gary

Wup, thanks for the explanation, I hope you didn't think I was attacking your company, that was not my intention. I didn't realize they were made by hand, that explains alot. I would very much enjoy seeing them made, if I get up that way. I always find it interesting to watch a craftsman. As far as the previous posting comparing the truck tires, again, goes back to that supply and demand. Probably a million truck tires made for each Bushwheel. Thanks again Wup
Brian

We should all be thankin the Husky and Maule owners, cause nearly all of them have 31" radials. Guess in part cause the "Bill D." has a Maule, and trust me most of them never land where they need them, (or even get a chance to prove them) Sorry Bill! But I was there at the Fly-n/ Oregon last year. Again Thanks, cause most go home and scuff them up on the Pavement and hopefully will wear them out much faster then we can in the rough. Keep up the purchases folks, the price will surely come down!

They are a great product and we appreciate the effort going into making them and getting the approvals.

Where are the 35"s?? Wup!!

Tim

29's, 31's and now 35's?? SOOoooooooooooooo, size does matter, darn it :(

Bushwheels are an excellent tire--of this we all agree. Well made, good materials, etc. etc.
The Price (3795) is reflected by the many factors listed--supply, demand, cost and all that entails, and profit margin. Economics would dictate that simply put, we have a great product, a relatively limited demand, (which is growing as people get "educated" on the absolute necessity of a 31" Tire--take SJ for example:) ) BUT, the fact that there is only ONE Alaska
Bushwheels Manufacturer I know of in the WORLD, in my opinion, explains the high prices. Capitalism often is a beautiful thing, and knowing that Alaska Tire and Rubber Co. puts out a top-notch product that is even hand-made, and the tires are certified by the Feds on all planes that would need them (Airstreak issues) in a way excuses the fact for me that they are Quite overpriced! Free Enterprise would allow the sole producer of this excellent tire to try and make some profit, given that starting a small business and expecting it to be successful is a real pain in the A** in this day and age.
Plus, Bill and Derrick are very helpful anytime with info, advice and assistance, I hope they are around for a long time!
Andy

WUP

At 40 man hours per tire it would seem your asking a fair price. The cost of aviation has always been hight everything is hand labor on these old birds. I hated to fork out the cash for my Bushwheels but the way I looked at it is I could not afford not having them. I know someday I will be caught in weather and with these tires I will feel confident enough to put the bird down and wait out the weather. If I did not have my Bushwheels I would be more likely to push the weather and we all know what kind of trouble that can get you into.

How are you doing on the development of a tail wheel? I have been waiting to see what you come up with.

Cub_Driver

Well Tim , for starters we are still diggen on the 35's for the CUB's but don't loose hope quite yet we have a few other projects that need pushed ahead. as for the tail wheel....... yes we are working on one and it is progressing slow but sure. as soon as we have any thing deffinite trust me I will let you know !!

Wup

Wup

Can you let me know a little more about your tail wheel ? I have questions like will it be tubless, what size wheel will you be making, what do you expect it to weigh, when can I expect to get ahold of one? Tell me more I want a fat tail wheel so bad I'm afraid I might do something foolish.

Cub_Driver

cub_driver,

It is supposed to be winter up there! Put the ski back on! (just kidding) all of us need bigger tailwheel tires! If Wup doesn't hurry up and get that thing finished we will all have to buy the Gar Aero one like the Maule guys are using?? Ha, Ha. (just kidding) it works good too!

Tim

I forgot to mention(sp) that price includes shipping and the STC! as for the tail wheel well lets just say.......you'll have to wait a little bit before I say too much but it will be soon I hope :D

Sj, hows the recreation... I mean research on the tires going?

Wup

I hope to do more research today. So far, about 5 pilots have flown the plane and all agree they are WAY FUN!

sj

I forgot to mention(sp) that price includes shipping and the STC! as for the tail wheel well lets just say.......you'll have to wait a little bit before I say too much but it will be soon I hope :D

Sj, hows the recreation... I mean research on the tires going?

Wup

Im considering (VERY SERIOUSLY) a set of 29 or 31 ABWs.... Before I shell out the cash, can you confirm the stc and freight is included (to a USA address?)

Cheapskate !! :p -- I have 31's and a Baby. Love 'em. **P.S. Binty, If you're going to do it get 31's.

Back