• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The World's Greatest, Ultimate STOL Airplane

SuperCub MD

Collins, Wisconsin
Hopefully the subject matter will get everyone to look at this.

I put a post under SC Gatherings, Oshkosh 2003, (look at it please, if you haven't already), saying that we could get together a STOL competition. The best STOL planes and STOL pilots in the world gathered in one place, for a little friendly competition, to see just who reeeealy is the best of the best. There has been a whole lot of chest thumping going on here on this web site...lots of talk... but it's one thing to type on a computer chat page, and another to toe your Bushwheels up to the line and prove it. Let's see it, let's revive the Bush Class Competition, bring-it-on! Extended wings, slots, slats, spoilers, turbines, jado bottles, nitros, whatever,-Cubs, Maules, Huskies, Helios, Terns, Sherpas, let's see what it can do.

The important part, is all the proceedes from the event would go to keep supercub.org alive, and that is important folks. This is a good thing, lets keep it going.

So far, the only competitor....is Tim. And I suppose me, although I don't have a engine right now, but I could probably just pull a 65hp out of the barn and bolt it on, and still kick a Fat Cubs ass, anything to keep Tim from getting the title. I need some real competition, so I have the incentive to build a custom fire breathing mill for my flying machine. Where are those damn Husky Drivers when you want them?

P.S. Tim, no harm intended, I'm just trying to get this started. I only pick on you because I know you can take it buddy.

Can we have categories like they do in autocross competitions? If so, I'll enter in the Experimental Airplane, Women's category. Get those prizes ready!

Anne.

Classes

Do you have a "stock airframe", "180 hp engine", "big Johnson" class. I'll be right down. Crash

Anne,

You are already a winner in my book! I can say that cause my name is Tim, right Tim?

MD! I am already whinning, I will have to start in July just to get there! But hey, I get to see a lot of country!
It is Murph, we got to be concerned about, he is going to have a new fresh motor! How about a "fat cub" class?

Tim

Fat cub

TIM , Don't feel bad for the fat cub class. I remember when Bill Firmin's 12 was striped
out' had long pa12 gear flaps and a 135 and could eat most 18's for lunch. Being a
good pilot helps. Wayne

PS. really hope you can get this compition going

How bout a steam powered class too. With a sub class for guys with the itty bitty 8:50x6 tires. Makes me wonder how I ever rolled the thing out of the hangar with 8:00x4's years ago.
Brian

Lot's of discussion going on, the big dogs are getting fired up, stock, Big Johnson, and otherwise. Those that have been spewing all the talk, we'll just be left to make our own assumptions if you don't show....

If I leave now, and have a tailwind, I will get there the week AFTER the show.

Great idea, Mark.

If this is to happen, you'd best get your advertising machine hauled out and dusted off. I hope you guys get this competition on.

Dave Calkins.

Hey Mark,
Sounds great, I definitely would show if it were here in Alaska...otherwise I couldn't imagine flying into a strange towered place with evil pavement enroute to the competition. It would be awesome to see it start up again, I had gone to every Gulkana Show, and miss those days--jerry burr, dave king, mike collins, jim miller, the ellis boys--I'm sure all these former champs would pop-in if it were round here. :p
Andy

Like maybe at the same time as the trade show? Most of the hot Cub pilots in Alaska are still available at that time of year, before fishing and hunting takes them out to the sticks. The problem is organizing such an event, and the fear of liability. Maybe that topic will come up tonight at the Supercub seminar.
SB

Supercub seminar? I suppose now "they" want us to be able to read, and type, and ---- can't we just fly anymore?

Tim

PA12driver said:
Supercub seminar? I suppose now "they" want us to be able to read, and type, and ---- can't we just fly anymore?

Tim

Yes Tim...

It's an opportunity for Super Cubs to get together and discuss their pilots and mechanics... It's generally a very positive experience... I understand they recently had one in Florida for Huskies and it didn't go too well...

Sounds Good! It would stand to reason there was nothing to talk about at the Husky seminar (they already know everything), nothing breaks, and their planes are perfect and never "fall out of the sky".

Tim

towers

Now Andy,

You claim to be aghast at the notion of towers and evil pavement. How could anyone let a poor Cub scuff it's dainty (sorry - BIG) rubber feet on tarmac? Or have to kow-tow to the ever watchful FAA type in the aforementioned glass enclosed cab on top of a tallish structure. (what do you mean by left-hand traffic ma'am?...I'm right handed - via sinistrum dura est!)

BUT, then you let slip that there you are at Merrill, right smack dab in the middle of the most tower infested - pavement covered and congested airspace in the world. I'm not sure that the ability to rapidly escape this zoo makes your supposed horror ring any less hollow. :D

Now you have to come on down and show Mark how it's done I triple-dog dare ya' (lightweight 160hp L-21 vs. 150hp non-electric PA-18 - whose gonna win?)

Brad

I happen to have a high treshold of pain.
If I land within 0 to 5 ft. and regardless of
the condition of the plane - Do I get the trophy?

Jackass

MMR said:
I happen to have a high treshold of pain.
If I land within 0 to 5 ft. and regardless of
the condition of the plane - Do I get the trophy?

Jackass

Big deal... So you have to carry that heavy trophy while you walk home!...

Ah Brad,

Ya caught me! :oops: Well I do fly outta Merrill, but in the five years I have been flying outta there, I can count on one hand the number of times I have landed on pavement. They have a very handy gravel/ski strip which I use if heavy or encountering funky winds, otherwise, I just land in the grass/gravel just short of the main runways 6/24. The tower is not a problem happily being the only exception to my tower shyness, I have been flying outta there a long time and am used to it. I get all puckered up when going into a new place, parked at Hood one winter and I think I provided regular entertainment every time I flew.
My 160 Cub isn't all that light usually (about 1098 w/ belly tank) so a light non-electrical 150 Cub with a good pilot is a very real threat!
Anyway, thanks for keepin an eye on me Brad,
Andy

Re: Best STOL

Student Pilot said:
Would the comp be open to the best STOL ever built? Bell Jetranger?

That could be arguable too much like the Husky vs SC debate. A lot depends on the mission. The Harrier will take off and land just as short as the Ranger but carrying capacity is limited. However, it's got a bit higher cruise speed.

Now we have a problem? I contacted one of my friends at NASA and they are considering entering MD's Woopass contest next September, the problem seems to be they don't know what class to enter so they sent the spects of their STOL aircraft? Have asked MD to reply ASAP so they can ask Senator Kennedy for the Appropriation? Must say it seems to have the punch to get off short?

Orbiter
Wing Span 23.79 meters (78 feet or twice the length of an extended wing cub)
Length 37.24 meters (122ft)
Height 17.27 meters (should have great visibility over the nose?)
Payload Bay 18.3 meters x 4.6 meters
Payload Weight (launch max.) 24,948 kilograms (approx.) (63,500lbs of
moose meat)

Main Engine (each)
Thrust at 100% throttle setting:
Sea Level 1,670 kilonewtons
Vacuum 2,100 kilonewtons

External Tank (ET)
Length 47 meters
Diameter 8.4 meters
Gross Weight (full) 750,980 kilograms

Solid Rocket Booster (SRB. each)
Length 45.46 meters
Diameter 3.7 meters
Thrust at Lift-off 14,685 kilonewtons
Gross Weight (approx.) 589,670 kilograms

Operations
Gross Lift-off Weight (approx.) 2,041,200 kilograms
Total thrust at launch 33,327 kilonewtons
SRB separation altitude 50 kilometers
SRB splashdown distance from KSC 260 kilometers
ET separation altitude (approx.) 120 kilometers
Orbital velocity (approx.) 27,869 kilometers/hour

Sounds like we are going to have quite a time!

Tim

PA12driver said:
Now we have a problem? I contacted one of my friends at NASA and they are considering entering MD's Woopass contest next September, the problem seems to be they don't know what class to enter so they sent the spects of their STOL aircraft? Have asked MD to reply ASAP so they can ask Senator Kennedy for the Appropriation? Must say it seems to have the punch to get off short?

Orbiter
Wing Span 23.79 meters (78 feet or twice the length of an extended wing cub)
Length 37.24 meters (122ft)
Height 17.27 meters (should have great visibility over the nose?)
Payload Bay 18.3 meters x 4.6 meters
Payload Weight (launch max.) 24,948 kilograms (approx.) (63,500lbs of
moose meat)

Main Engine (each)
Thrust at 100% throttle setting:
Sea Level 1,670 kilonewtons
Vacuum 2,100 kilonewtons

External Tank (ET)
Length 47 meters
Diameter 8.4 meters
Gross Weight (full) 750,980 kilograms

Solid Rocket Booster (SRB. each)
Length 45.46 meters
Diameter 3.7 meters
Thrust at Lift-off 14,685 kilonewtons
Gross Weight (approx.) 589,670 kilograms

Operations
Gross Lift-off Weight (approx.) 2,041,200 kilograms
Total thrust at launch 33,327 kilonewtons
SRB separation altitude 50 kilometers
SRB splashdown distance from KSC 260 kilometers
ET separation altitude (approx.) 120 kilometers
Orbital velocity (approx.) 27,869 kilometers/hour

Sounds like we are going to have quite a time!

Tim

I'm sorry Tim, I'm not real good at this Newton's kilometergram stuff... So, is this NASA thing like more better than a Super Cub?... I'm kinda confused... :crazyeyes:

I hear they're working on Vortex Alternators for it too, better the the generators we use. I bet a borer prop would help it too.
Brian

Brian,

I am trying to get them to buy my 29's for $10k so I can afford a set of them there high dollar 31's that Wupp and bill have been grinding out in Oregon!

Cuby, I ain't got a clue how to convert the kilos stuff either, I dropped out of school when they said we Americans were going to have to learn metric stuff!

I am glad you guys mentioned it? I do have another borer prop, maybe I could sell it to them too! (that is if MD doesn't need one on his toy cub?? to try to "kick a Fat cubs A@%s".

You are coming to Alaska aren't you MD?? there are real mountains and gravel there!! Start practicing!!

Tim

Tim !! 10K???? Remember you're dealing with a government agency here. They're not buying postage stamps, they're buying flying machine parts, better replace that "K" with "mil" and you might get their interest. Then you could buy them 31inchers for the freightliner and have enough left over for a new Peterbilt :lol: too !!
Brian

Wow - that's 7.5 MILLION pounds of thrust at take-off. They've probably got you beat there, but I'm pretty sure you guys could still smoke 'em when it comes to short landings! :p

Yeah but how long does it take to land??? bout the same as a Husky I?d bet.

But take this piece of advice from me boyz...do not...I repeat....DO NOT!!... go out drinking with the guy down the row that has a Kit Fox and bet him that your SC with two people and a cruise prop will beat his Fox to pattern altitude.

And the bastard had the nerve to laugh as he walked off with one of my best 12 packs...that was embarrassing :oops:

When I go through these treads I sometimes just kind of speed read, picking up phrase and words here and there. Then my itsy brain puts it all together and I get a general idea of the discussion without having read all of it. Holly cow a 750890 kgs cub with rocket booster able to land at Merrill within 5 feet, faster then a Harrier yet can achieve orbital velocity.AND looks better than a husky, costs 10k and has a 65hp engine but uses 8.50 tires. Hoooold it right there you guys, 8.50 tires, now thats going to far. :splat:

Back