• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Seeing Double

Randy

FOUNDER
S.Dakota
I found this in "Aerofiles"
This is a pic of a PA-11 and a J-3 joined together.
Later on he joined up two PA-18

bbo.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/bbo.jpg

The horsepower on the J-3 was different then the PA-11 too. I think they were 65hp and 85hp. I never knew they did the same thing with super cubs.........would enjoy seeing a pic of them, if anyone has one.
Brian

If I remember correctly, performance was really crappy. Wing loading and power loading were increased substantially.

All three of these planes were in Popular Mechanics years ago. Way before PhotoShop was developed.

Ok, so they used old fashion photo retouching. If you look at the tri-pacer for example, don't you thing prop number two would be striking the prop shaft of prop number 1 and vice versa? Looks like it to me!

sj

steve said:
Ok, so they used old fashion photo retouching. If you look at the tri-pacer for example, don't you thing prop number two would be striking the prop shaft of prop number 1 and vice versa? Looks like it to me!

sj

Steve...

Wagner offset the engines to prevent interference... One engine was inches ahead of the other... It may have kept the props from tangling with each other, but it created extreme disturbed air in the overlap area...

I don't think Wagner was involved with it, but there also was a trimotored Colt... Nose engine and one on each wing...

Now, will someone please buy my Cuby, I'm in deep do-do at home!...

This rarely seen picture depicts the tri-motor cub as it is about to depart. Note the perfectly synchronized propellers.

rarebird.jpg

sj

I've flown one of those before..........only problem is the necessity to air refuel every 45 minutes.

Steve, A fine example. How long did that take? like 49 seconds?

I saw photos years ago of some of these creations. Peter Bower's book has a few.

Dave Calkins.

OK SJ quit hacking my airplane a part. I'll have nightmares that I'll go out to the hanger and that's what it will look like. (JK)

Matt

Cub Clues #105 has a article on the twin J4 (experimental). Looks a lot like the twin Champ, which I've seen fly. It was certified and factory built as a cheap twin trainer. Not such a hot performer, I understand, but a few were sold.

There is also a twin citabria, called the Lancer. A citabria owner friend of mine wants one:

ChampionLancer.jpg

Matt, I thought it was an upgrade. Actually, I was planning to be more elaborate, but I only had about five minutes...

sj

There was a Lancer for sale on E-bay a few weeks ago. I believe it was a mid '50's airplane, as I recall. Starting price was about $30,000 or so. Jim

What I did not add is that although he wants one, he is smart enough not to purchase one...

steve said:
What I did not add is that although he wants one, he is smart enough not to purchase one...

Wise man...

Two O-200s with fixed pitch does not a macho Chump make...

There was one at Arlington, WA, with the N#s cut out of the fabric... Rumored that the owner cut out the numbers and removed the data plate to beat the tax man...

Lancer, yeah, that's it, (I mistakenly called it a twin Champ). There was one flying around here. I think it even had a fake gear handle for training. Citabria, Lancer, two motors, one motor, a Chump is still a Chump.

At last count there were something like 3 of these still flying...

Natural selection, I suspect...

sj

I do too! I am going to fly a citabria this morning and the heater works MUCH better than in the cub.

I've often wondered how the rear seat heat is when you're in a cub in Canada in the winter.

Back