• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Rear seat shoulder harness

Kuskokid

McGrath, Alaska
Does anyone know of an STC for 2 sets of shoulder harnesses for the rear seat in a PA-12? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kuskokid

Did you ever hear anything about installing rear shoulder harnesses in your Pa-12? I am building one up and have been trying to devise a configuration which can be used by two people or one.

Do you have a shoulder harness in your front seat?

Where is it attached if you do? Was a tube added to accomodate it?

Shawn

12 Shoulder Harnesses

In my rebuild, I added a shoulder harness for the pilot and rear seat, however, only one for the back seat. I welded a tab for the front seat on back bar that forms part of the X-brace over the pilots head, and for the rear seat, I welded the PA-14 type "cathedral" or "Chair" brace (Taking out the old 12 diagonal) and a tab in the center of it for the rear seat shoulder harness. Both of these were approved under a 337. I am not aware of any STC's that exist for installing the shoulder harnesses.

seatbelts

I am not familiar with the PA-14 so I will have to do some research on this X-brace you refer to. Do you have any photos of this you could email me? Since this is a homebuilt, I do not need to get the approvals or STC's but I want to do things to the same standards.

Thanks

Shawn

PA 12 Modifications

When I rebuilt my 12 I started with a stock 12 with no modifications, after completion I had over 40 modifications to original. Some of them minor that had not previously been approved. I've kept pictures of most every one of them, so if you would like a picture or description, just let me know and I will show you what I did. Shawn, I cant get your e-mail address, if you send me an e-mail, I will send you some pictures. I tried to post them on this message but couldn't figure out how to do it.

The only problem with the rear seat shoulder harnesses in the PA-12 is they are normally mounted in the center just below the PA-14 syle cathedral sealing junction. If each harness was mounted out to the side they wouldn't get in the way of the fourth seat conversion(not approved yet) I had in my Crosswinds PA-12. The good thing about this mod is it has a lot more room for a passenger than a SuperCub third seat conversion. The fourth seat conversion creates lots of interest at airports if you ever hav't to land at one.

Back