• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pulleys with bearings

S2D

Montana
Has anyone replaced all the pulleys on their super cub with the bearing type pulleys? Have always wanted to try it. Seems there was an STC for it too.
Does it make a noticeable difference?

The holes in the bearing pullys are different size( like the flap pulleys)......but I think Dakota Cub makes the adapters for them.

Real bearings.

They are a necessity with droop ailerons. They are also lighter than the bushing type. I scribe a mark on the pulley and turn it 90 degrees every annual and that's it. There was always more wasted lubrication catching dirt on the outside of the bushing pulleys than in the bushing anyway. They have my vote. Jerry. :)

Bearing Pulleys

I just purchased all the pulleys for a stock PA-18 from Stoddards (Univair). Most of the 2 3/4" pulleys were the ball bearing type. The 1 3/4" ones were the bushing type. The problem with the 1 3/4" ball bearing type you can purchase from Aircraft Spruce and other's is the width. They are too wide at the inner bearing race to fit in some of the mounts. FAA also specs that the bearing must be "captivated" by the mount or washers larger then the outer bearing race in case the bearing fails that the pully will continue to track in a way that won't allow the cable to jump off. Crash

:x-mas: I am glad to hear that they can be had for a Cub. My F-24 has all ball bearing pulleys and the controls are sooo smooth. My Cub, on the other hand, has alerons so stiff that I don't need control locks. Well, that's an exaggeration, but there is a big difference in the two. ...Clyde

I put flap pulleys in my aileron system, got everything I needed from Dakota Cub and then got a field approval. FA may or not be neccesary, depends on who you talk to. Really work nice. Everybody that has flown my cub comments on how nice the ailerons work.

Back